+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New PR

Cath06

Aug 7, 2015
Hi guys,

We are family of 4, have received my COPR recently and plan to land in Toronto to process our PR status and PR cards. I have some concerns and hope I could get the answers from the seniors here:

1) We are planning to make a short landing in Toronto and have to leave for home country 2 weeks later to settle many personal stuff before making final move to Canada. Shall I tell the immigration officer to truth? I read from this forum some members said better don't inform the officer and some said need to. I also understand from some members that the immigration officer in this case will not process the PR card until we finally move to Canada, is that true?

2) I would like to know will there be an issue if I ask my friend to mail the PR cards to me (outside Canada) from Toronto? Has anyone done that before? If yes please advise is there anything I need to take note?

3) Regarding proof of funds, is it a must to bring CAD14k cash for 2 persons during our first landing in Canada?
If we have 4 persons (me, my husband, my son 18 and my daughter 13), do we need to bring CAD28k? Are the immigration officer really check on this? This is because we do not intend to bring so much cash there for a short stay. However we can show documents to prove to them that our final funds will be way more than sufficient to support us when we finally migrate there.

4) Our PR was approved thru AINP (Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program). After we obtain our PR status and card, say maybe 6 months later when we return to Canada, we decided to live in Toronto instead of Alberta, is this possible?

Thank you all in advance.

Cheers!