+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

new PR - where to settle in Canada? :-)

tommypau76

Mar 10, 2016
hi everyone!

finally got PR status for my family, and as we have very little connections in Canada, we're still wondering where to settle

not Quebec, french too difficult for us and our daughters

from our recent travels we really liked Burlington near Toronto, but it seems very expensive, and a lot of traffic to go-come back to the city

anyone knows if London in Ontario is good for families?

we're not considering the west coast for now as we've not been there yet

thanks for every suggestions!

cheers
Tom

NetMecca

Dec 12, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
14-07-2009
Have to go where the jobs are I suspect. Toronto and around is good. If you are fussed about the weather, and be sure to know that even if you are not now, after a few years you will be, the sacrifices of cost will be justified living in Vancouver. Best weather in Canada. Good luck. Tough choice

Reactions: tommypau76

tommypau76

Mar 10, 2016
Have to go where the jobs are I suspect. Toronto and around is good. If you are fussed about the weather, and be sure to know that even if you are not now, after a few years you will be, the sacrifices of cost will be justified living in Vancouver. Best weather in Canada. Good luck. Tough choice
thanks mate! the weather advice is a very good one, my wife is already concerned about it eh eh :)

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Tom. What is your profession and what is profession of your wife? How many years of experience do you have and your wife?
You need to check first potential employer for you both, Check where most of them are located and then follow that location. Toronto or GTA (where Burlington belongs too) is not an universal solution. Go to the region where the most suited jobs for you are.
London is a very nice place for a family. Just be aware that you will have to have family car. (your daughters may not have an issue to go to school using busses, and you might go to shops that way as well, but most work offers are off the buss route).
But renting is around half the price of GTA.

Last edited:
Reactions: astralsource

tommypau76

Mar 10, 2016
Hi Tom. What is your profession and what is profession of your wife? How many years of experience do you have and your wife?
You need to check first potential employer for you both, Check where most of them are located and then follow that location. Toronto or GTA (where Burlington belongs too) is not an universal solution. Go to the region where the most suited jobs for you are.
London is a very nice place for a family. Just be aware that you will have to have family car. (your daughters may not have an issue to go to school using busses, and you might go to shops that way as well, but most work offers are off the buss route).
But renting is around half the price of GTA.
thanks vensak for the detailed suggestions!!

I'm a videomaker and video editor (mostly weddings) and my wife is a biologist-lab technician (plenty years of experience for both); looks like most jobs in these sectors are around Toronto and Vancouver

London yes, looks to have very cheap house prices, and plenty of opportunities in the health-research sector, maybe less for me

thanks so much for your help!

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

I'm a videomaker and video editor (mostly weddings) and my wife is a biologist-lab technician (plenty years of experience for both); looks like most jobs in these sectors are around Toronto and Vancouver

London yes, looks to have very cheap house prices, and plenty of opportunities in the health-research sector, maybe less for me

Your job is not really tight to a location. Yes Vancouver is most into art and movie business. But what you have described is just working for a local shop that is selling photo services. So it can be done in any big enough city. Your wife on the other hand is more industry dependent. So it can be either something around health and hospitals or pharmaceutic research or something close to animals. So go after that and go for the regions where this industry it present heavily enough. Also count that your wife will have to redo her certifications in order to be able to resume her career.

London is close to automotive, engineering, injection molding or electro-technical industry. There is also big university there and decent a decent amount of work opportunities connected to the health service.

mdilushi

May 25, 2017
Nomination.....
None
IELTS Request
Overall 8
what are the ares for jobs in the field of accounting and finance?

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Any city or area over certain size needs accountants.

ngans

Jun 17, 2017
Can I ask about IT and programmer jobs? Comparing opportunities in Edmonton, Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto, Ottawa please...

astralsource

Champion Member
Jul 10, 2016
Croatia
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa, ON
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
22-04-2017
AOR Received.
22-04-2017
Med's Request
19-06-2017
Med's Done....
13-04-2017

@tommypau76 Beware! Biologist occupation NOC 2121 is regulated in BC which means she will have to pay a lot of money to have a license for practicing work as a Biologist! Also they have specific requirements which exams are needed and also she must have at least 3 year experience in this occupation! If you are not prepared for that right now, stick with Ontario! Why not Ottawa? It's a family city, not too big, not too small, there are opportunities just like in any other city. London is good too I presume for start.

Last edited:

astralsource

Champion Member
Jul 10, 2016
Croatia
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa, ON
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
22-04-2017
AOR Received.
22-04-2017
Med's Request
19-06-2017
Med's Done....
13-04-2017
Can I ask about IT and programmer jobs? Comparing opportunities in Edmonton, Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto, Ottawa please...
I think you cant go wrong with IT these days, Toronto I'd say.

Reactions: ngans

tommypau76

Mar 10, 2016
@tommypau76 Beware! Biologist occupation NOC 2121 is regulated in BC which means she will have to pay a lot of money to have a license for practicing work as a Biologist! Also they have specific requirements which exams are needed and also she must have at least 3 year experience in this occupation! If you are not prepared for that right now, stick with Ontario! Why not Ottawa? It's a family city, not too big, not too small, there are opportunities just like in any other city. London is good too I presume for start.
thanks mate, great advice!!
yeah didn't consider ottawa actually...it sounds like a too "government" oriented city, while we work in the private sector, but yes this might be a wrong feeling :)

Reactions: astralsource

astralsource

Champion Member
Jul 10, 2016
Croatia
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa, ON
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
22-04-2017
AOR Received.
22-04-2017
Med's Request
19-06-2017
Med's Done....
13-04-2017
thanks mate, great advice!!
yeah didn't consider ottawa actually...it sounds like a too "government" oriented city, while we work in the private sector, but yes this might be a wrong feeling :)
There are jobs for all kinds of occupations in the government too. Its not just clerks but scientists, IT's, financial staff that's needed for different institutions which are government funded. Im also a Biologist. There is a lot of job ads for Biologists in Toronto too, ofcourse ;) ! I would advise not to pick a city that's too small, you will probably end up either in Toronto or Ottawa because all of the smaller ones gravitate towards them. Later on you can consider moving if you have a chance but I think its easier to find a job in a big city for start, and a lot more opportunities for networking too.

zeeshan1108

May 4, 2017
Hi folks,

I will be getting my PR in next 2 months. I am a brand research consultant for consumer goods(Dove, Pantene, Ponds etc.) in Mumbai, India. I am unmarried and planning to move to Canada by April (as the weather will be pleasant). Can you recommend any place where I can target?
Considering few factor in priority-
1. Job
2. Cost of living
3. Weather/Infra etc.

Also if you can give a rough (average monthly)estimate about your recommended-
1. Cost of renting (prime location)
2. Utility bills (electricity, water etc)
3. Travel
4. Grocery

Thank you in advance,