+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New Policy for International Students - April 12th, 2021

iceboat

Apr 22, 2021
But what if someone just got a job on May 1st or something? Why are contracts not enough?
I guess to be safe, you would have a letter from your employer saying you are currently working xx hours a week as of May 6th to prove that you are employed at the time of application. My dad owns a couple of local businesses, and we had a problem with people (typically low-skilled jobs) not showing up on their first day. This stream wants to see that you are actually working (not even employed but laid off) on May 6th or whenever you submit your application. My job starts on May 3rd so I'm gonna try to get something from my manager / HR ASAP.

heroicdeath

Apr 14, 2021
I would assume this would be faster to process than other streams, my hunch is because of the following.
  1. Requirements are dead easy to verify. It's a simple yes, no if they meet the criteria.
  2. They aren't selecting the "best" candidates, it's a first come first serve process.
  3. The applicants are already in Canada, so they've previously had some sort of study permit, so they probably had some sort of police check AND health check. If they wanted these documents, they could go back to the study permit that's associated with the applicant and pull that information up.
Chances are this is targetting recent (0-2 years from graduation) full-time undergraduates/masters students from local universities in Canada (at least with the 40k pool), and it seems like they'll have some sort of new team to handle this pool of applicants.

Reactions: Riri15

Frisk

Feb 19, 2016
Toronto
I would assume this would be faster to process than other streams, my hunch is because of the following.
  1. Requirements are dead easy to verify. It's a simple yes, no if they meet the criteria.
  2. They aren't selecting the "best" candidates, it's a first come first serve process.
  3. The applicants are already in Canada, so they've previously had some sort of study permit, so they probably had some sort of police check AND health check. If they wanted these documents, they could go back to the study permit that's associated with the applicant and pull that information up.
Chances are this is targetting recent (0-2 years from graduation) full-time undergraduates/masters students from local universities in Canada (at least with the 40k pool), and it seems like they'll have some sort of new team to handle this pool of applicants.
Well, what makes CEC so enticing to people who meet requirements for both is that IRCC has expressed that CEC applications are processing at "full capacity", which means that's where the processing resources are going.

This new stream might be extremely simple, but assuming it follows the same process as EE:

Eligibility: Checks that the applicant meets the program requirements, with the new streams should be easy
Security: Very time consuming, you're scrutinized to see if you appear on the Interpol, FBI, etc databases
Criminality: Review your police certificates
Medical: Considers whether you're medically admissible or not
Info Sharing: Shares database information with other countries
Final: Whether you've been approved or not

But ultimately, if there are less officers taking care of the 90k applications it could mean this process might as well take as long as PNP.
It really sucks not to have the full information, it's very difficult to make an informed decision with FOMO, half-truths and with an upcoming EE reform.

kloppity

Nov 20, 2019
Well, what makes CEC so enticing to people who meet requirements for both is that IRCC has expressed that CEC applications are processing at "full capacity", which means that's where the processing resources are going.

This new stream might be extremely simple, but assuming it follows the same process as EE:

Eligibility: Checks that the applicant meets the program requirements, with the new streams should be easy
Security: Very time consuming, you're scrutinized to see if you appear on the Interpol, FBI, etc databases
Criminality: Review your police certificates
Medical: Considers whether you're medically admissible or not
Info Sharing: Shares database information with other countries
Final: Whether you've been approved or not

But ultimately, if there are less officers taking care of the 90k applications it could mean this process might as well take as long as PNP.
It really sucks not to have the full information, it's very difficult to make an informed decision with FOMO, half-truths and with an upcoming EE reform.
Is it true that PNP takes 18+ months? I know it takes a while to get nominations but the process following ITA is the same for everyone, no? I believe the processing time of this should mirror prior public policies like the refugee essential work program or the AIPP.

Frisk

Feb 19, 2016
Toronto
How many people do you think are eligible for the international stream?
There were over 50k people eligible for the PGWP extension alone back in January. Assuming that 20k have applied for PR ever since, and that there are around 600k international students in Canada right now...Quite a lot.

venomxtv

Jul 2, 2016
They should really implement a IELTS reference number check or something, most people are going to apply and lose their money, it's going to take up spots and make it harder for people who have their results.

bootes

Star Member
Apr 22, 2021
The question is whether they will stop taking any applications after 40,000 regardless of whether they meet eligibility requirements or not or if they'll continue accepting applications until they hit 40k approvals.

venomxtv

Jul 2, 2016
The question is whether they will stop taking any applications after 40,000 regardless of whether they meet eligibility requirements or not or if they'll continue accepting applications until they hit 40k approvals.
If they keep taking applications, then all the people after the 40k approvals will lose their money? Cause they said no refunds? I hope they implement a language test check AND cap at 40k

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
I am sure that there will be language reference number check.

They will stop accepting applications after 40 000.

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018
Yes, this is the portal people that apply under PNP, AIPP, Agri-Food pilot, etc use. it's a bit different from Express Entry.
Honestly the new portal seems so different, when you select a stream it gives you an option to upload other streams' forms too. Which just makes it more confusing.

bootes

Star Member
Apr 22, 2021
Yeah, I just rechecked the wording and they did say they'd only process 40,000. If they don't want those 40k to be mostly duds, they're gonna need to put that IELTS reference number requirement.

hhzara

Star Member
May 11, 2020
He was hyperactive but didn't say much. The biggest news:

- Those who have already graduated but are now studying (and are on study permit) are ok
- You have to be working at the time you submit your application and when your PR is approved
- You have to reside in Canada at the time you submit the application and when your PR is approved
I heard him say that you have to be working when your PR is approved. Given that we don't know the processing times yet and with the pandemic raging on, how are they going to enforce this?

If one application takes 6 months for example, and another takes 12 months, aren't they placing a burden on the second applicant?

Plus, one of my biggest fears right now is a potential temporary layoff due to the pandemic. What happens then?

Sorry if this sounds like a rant, I'm just getting really worried that's all.