+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New Pilot Program for Inland Applications to Allow Work Permits??

osgoz99

Mar 1, 2012
Hi all,

I just read a bulletin on CIC website which says that;

"eligible spouses or common-law partners have the opportunity to work in Canada while they wait for their application for permanent residence to be processed.

Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) will issue open work permits to certain spouses or common-law partners who are applying for permanent residence from inside Canada, before the approval in principle decision on their application is made.

For more information and instructions on this pilot program, please see CIC’s program delivery update."

I tried reading up on what "certain spouses" mean but could not find any more information. Also, if the applicant gets a work permit, can they get OHIP immediately then as well?

Any more info would be great.

Thanks in advance!

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
i believe the spouse refers to inland applicants who were in status when they submitted their application, did NOT send in an OWP with their PR application, or applied for PR Dec 22, 2014 or after. there are many threads dedicated to this already, and the inland threads have a lot of informaiton about who can apply and how. i would suggest starting there and doing some reading.

once an OWP is received, then I believe that can be used to APPLY for OHIP. the applicant doesn't automatically get OHIP just because they received an OWP. it's a completely separate process and must be done at a service canada location. the Service Canada website will have information as to what is neded to be eligible to apply for ohip. Once you apply, either you will have to wait 90 days to start using it, or Serivce Canada will backdate the application to the date of proof of application receipt from CIC. Again, there are many threads already dedicated to this topic.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
I don't think the OWP qualifies you to apply for OHIP. Read here: http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/publications/ohip/ohip_eligibility.aspx

You may be eligible for the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) if you are included under one of the following categories:
- you have submitted an application for permanent residence in Canada, and Citizenship and Immigration Canada has confirmed that you meet the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent residence in Canada ;
- you are a foreign worker who holds a valid work permit or other document issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) permitting you to work in Canada, and you also have a formal agreement in place to work full-time for an employer situated in Ontario which sets out the employer's name, your occupation, and confirmation that you will be working for no less than six consecutive months;

I don't think the OWP is in same category as the Foreign Worker visa category (but not 100% sure). i.e similar to the IEC visa which is essentially also an OWP, but doesn't get the holder OHIP coverage.

So I think you still need to follow the first eligibility requirement above, which is stage 1 approval/AIP, currently taking 16 months.

Just is just my interpretation of it. For a confirmed answer you need to call the OHIP office and ask them.

Skyline29

Aug 11, 2014
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-02-2014
Doc's Request.
Dependant fill out form & sent documents
AOR Received.
File in Ecas feb 19, 2014
Med's Request
Upfront medical
Med's Done....
Done
Interview........
?
Passport Req..
?
VISA ISSUED...
?
LANDED..........
?
osgoz99 said:
Hi all,

I just read a bulletin on CIC website which says that;

"eligible spouses or common-law partners have the opportunity to work in Canada while they wait for their application for permanent residence to be processed.

Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) will issue open work permits to certain spouses or common-law partners who are applying for permanent residence from inside Canada, before the approval in principle decision on their application is made.

For more information and instructions on this pilot program, please see CIC's program delivery update."

I tried reading up on what "certain spouses" mean but could not find any more information. Also, if the applicant gets a work permit, can they get OHIP immediately then as well?

Any more info would be great.

Thanks in advance!

Skyline29 said:
I'm present residing at angus Ontario , I'm been here at canada 4years going to 5 years on February, I'm came here to work as caregiver then I get married September 2013 , my husband is a Canadian citizen then instead I apply my caregiver application , we apply family sponsor / spouse together with that I have my Open work permit application too we send that January 2014 then come back February coz some of form is not updated so we update that then send it again same month February then by August I think then send back my application of open work permit coz they say I own them 5$ coz the processing fee is increase 5$ before it's 150 then increase 155 so they told to me to resend that when I have receive a letter from immigration so my work permit is expired that time so I need to get a status here so the fast to get is visitor permit to remain in canada but the thing is my Ohip is already expired too & I'm pregnant so everytime I go for check up I'm paying something, my question is is there anything I can do to have a letter for immigration for applying of my open work permit so that I can get a OHiP or any letter can I give to Get Ohip card , my due date is 2nd weeks of February , when I submit that application the processing time before is 9month then it when up as the month goes by:( I just want to apply my open permit & get a Ohip & bring my son here in canada to wait for the decision of my application of permanent residence .
Hope u could help me , thank u very much for help, god bless

I read / see this cic news - The government of Canada has launched a pilot program issuing open work permits to certain spouses and common-law partners of Canadian citizens and permanent residents in the Spouses or Common-Law Partners in Canada class (SCLPC). Applicants making an Inland application (i.e. while residing in Canada) for permanent immigration to Canada may now be issued open work permits before the ‘approval in principle’ decision has been made on their application.

So what this means that inland sponsor spouse can apply now even no 1st approval for the application hows that work or is there a form for the spouse for OWP? Please help or any advice , thank u very much:)

jmd2014

Apr 8, 2014
Before the pilot started, it was pretty straight-forward in that AIP granted you both health coverage (in Ontario at least) and an OWP.

The current laws so state that in order for a work permit to qualify you for OHIP, it must state the employer etc., which an OWP certainly doesn't.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out with OHIP. Logic would dictate that if you have an OWP and are living, and working in Ontario, paying Ontario income taxes (including the health care premium), you should be eligible for OHIP coverage. Unfortunately, government rules and procedures very often don;t follow the rules of logic.

We're going to apply anyway and see what happens

Jamesdavid3

May 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jmd2014 said:
Before the pilot started, it was pretty straight-forward in that AIP granted you both health coverage (in Ontario at least) and an OWP.

The current laws so state that in order for a work permit to qualify you for OHIP, it must state the employer etc., which an OWP certainly doesn't.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out with OHIP. Logic would dictate that if you have an OWP and are living, and working in Ontario, paying Ontario income taxes (including the health care premium), you should be eligible for OHIP coverage. Unfortunately, government rules and procedures very often don;t follow the rules of logic.

You can get OHIP Coverage with a standard work permit with no Employer listed, you just need to meet the OHIP Requirements of working for 3-6 months or something.

osgoz99

Mar 1, 2012
jmd2014 said:

Interesting post jmd2014. Curious to see how that plays out as well.

orotibash

Star Member
Dec 16, 2014
hi everyone! i just called CIC callcenter about this new pilot program and yeah we can send an OPW application even though u haven't receive any approval yet from them.

scootersda

Apr 8, 2014
orotibash said:
hi everyone! i just called CIC callcenter about this new pilot program and yeah we can send an OPW application even though u haven't receive any approval yet from them.
My sponsor and I are about to submit our application for permanent residency, so we are interested in this new OPW pilot program. I have tried searching, but no luck...can anyone help me to find the OWP application online? Thanks.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scootersda said:
My sponsor and I are about to submit our application for permanent residency, so we are interested in this new OPW pilot program. I have tried searching, but no luck...can anyone help me to find the OWP application online? Thanks.
You need form IMM 5710