+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New physical presence requirment

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Others can comment as well given I am no expert but where does it say work continuously to prove physical presence. Does a stay at home mother get disqualified for citizenship due to no taxable income but has not left the country ever? This is more about if anyone worked that they have met their obligations as far as taxes are concerned.

Even working continuously in Canada does not mean someone has not been out of the country for work or vacation which needs to be deducted from physical presence.

Requirements related to income tax
The applicant must have met any applicable requirement under the Income Tax Act to file an income tax return for three taxation years that are fully or partially within the five years immediately before the date of application.

If you read the info in the above link there are exceptions made where income did not met the minimum income threshold to file a return.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2018
Case of spouses are different. We have cit 0002e form for adults which has different things to fill. I can't see this form as form is locked.

ibry

Jul 25, 2010
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
I didnt work truout last year and got my citizenship this month

ZingyDNA

Champion Member
Aug 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-06-2013
AOR Received.
28-08-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
21-02-2014 (principal applicant)
Med's Done....
07-03-2014 (both, upfront for spouse)
Passport Req..
10-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2014
LANDED..........
13-06-2014
According to taxation act, one should continuously work for this duration to proof second eligibility?
Working/paying taxes is strong proof of physical presence, but not necessary for citizenship. I sometimes wonder if taking a picture of yourself with a landmark everyday would do it (or will they even accept that) :D

I think they put in this tax-filing requirement in your citizenship application because it helps them a lot to determine the physical presence for the applicants who're working/worked. Even with no income you can still file taxes so that requirement is not a hassle for anyone.

PIBHE

Mar 2, 2018
Mississauga
hey guys,
seems, I am stuck for one more year before applying for Citizenship.

Just read at https://eservices.cic.gc.ca/rescalc/resCalcStartNew.do:

When calculating your time in Canada:
  • only the five (5) years immediately before the date of your application are taken into account;
  • each day you were physically present in Canada as an authorized temporary resident or protected person before you became a permanent resident counts as half a day (up to a maximum of 365 days);
  • each day you were physically present in Canada after you became a permanent resident counts as one day;
  • time spent serving a sentence for an offence in Canada (e.g. serving a term of imprisonment, probation and/or parole) cannot be counted towards your physical presence - there are some exceptions.
Based on this is it a right statement:
- if I apply today, the time spent in Canada will start counting only from Feb 13, 2014? So the time before Feb 13, 2014 can not be included into the presence calculation?

Thanks in advance!

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
hey guys,
seems, I am stuck for one more year before applying for Citizenship.

Just read at https://eservices.cic.gc.ca/rescalc/resCalcStartNew.do:

When calculating your time in Canada:
  • only the five (5) years immediately before the date of your application are taken into account;
  • each day you were physically present in Canada as an authorized temporary resident or protected person before you became a permanent resident counts as half a day (up to a maximum of 365 days);
  • each day you were physically present in Canada after you became a permanent resident counts as one day;
  • time spent serving a sentence for an offence in Canada (e.g. serving a term of imprisonment, probation and/or parole) cannot be counted towards your physical presence - there are some exceptions.
Based on this is it a right statement:
- if I apply today, the time spent in Canada will start counting only from Feb 13, 2014? So the time before Feb 13, 2014 can not be included into the presence calculation?

Thanks in advance!
Correct.

PIBHE

Mar 2, 2018
Mississauga
@zardoz Thanks for the reply. So basically they don't even count the student time before Feb 13, 2014, cause I have been at Seneca college in 2012-2013. So then no chance to include that period as well... :( Damed, so disappointed....

PIBHE

Mar 2, 2018
Mississauga
Mmmmm, studying as a student is not illegal activity :))) my question was if I can count the study time which was more than five years from today.

Vesimsyd

Star Member
Nov 24, 2018
U r required to file taxes even if you are employed or not and for citizenship app they need those tax filings