+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New PGWP Extension Policy 2023 // Question

Fabiog

Mar 22, 2017
Hey. Did you apply for the extension? I'm also in the same boat. My pgwp expires March 2024. I was also eligible for the previous extension. I've heard that if your original pgwp had expired between sept 2021 and dec 2023 you are eligible for this pgwp extension too!
Is this true?
I think you might be allowed need to verify with a lawyer

Fabiog

Mar 22, 2017
Hello, everyone

I hope I can het help here.

I applied to the last year PGWP extension the IRCC provided. Now, this year they released another extension. I hired a lawyer to do the process for the 2022 extension. As for last week, the lawyer got an email that I am eligible to apply for this new extension. Apparently the email was in reference of my original PFWP but not the new one we got approved last year. My original work permit expired on August of 2022, and the new permit will expire on June of 2024.

My question is. Am I eligible to apply for this new PGWP extension policy?

The policy indicates that "Effective April 6th, 2023, Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) holders whose work permit has expired or will expire in 2023, may be eligible for an open work permit extension. This measure also applies to those eligible for the previous PGWP extension, whose status was set to expire between September 20, 2021, and December 31, 2022"

If I apply for this new extension having a valid work permit until June 2024, will I get the 18 months approval? I am unsure if IRCC sent the email knowing that I already applied to the extension last year.

It would be helpful to have some answers on this. I appreciate it.

Thanks,
I think you might be eligible, need to verify with a lawyer

shabanvs

Oct 9, 2023
Hello, everyone

I hope I can het help here.

I applied to the last year PGWP extension the IRCC provided. Now, this year they released another extension. I hired a lawyer to do the process for the 2022 extension. As for last week, the lawyer got an email that I am eligible to apply for this new extension. Apparently the email was in reference of my original PFWP but not the new one we got approved last year. My original work permit expired on August of 2022, and the new permit will expire on June of 2024.

My question is. Am I eligible to apply for this new PGWP extension policy?

The policy indicates that "Effective April 6th, 2023, Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) holders whose work permit has expired or will expire in 2023, may be eligible for an open work permit extension. This measure also applies to those eligible for the previous PGWP extension, whose status was set to expire between September 20, 2021, and December 31, 2022"

If I apply for this new extension having a valid work permit until June 2024, will I get the 18 months approval? I am unsure if IRCC sent the email knowing that I already applied to the extension last year.

It would be helpful to have some answers on this. I appreciate it.

Thanks,
YES. YOU ARE ELIGIBLE... IF YOUR ORIGINAL PWGP expired between Sept 2022 and Dec 2023. Even if you have applied on a previous public policy. Pls refer immigration website:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/permit/post-graduation-work-permit-holders/apply-in-canada.html