+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New immigrants Health care to deliver baby

amirah13

Mar 26, 2024
We will do our first landing in Canada in May 2024. We will stay for 2 weeks and return to our country. During these 2 weeks we will do the preliminaries like: look for apartments, get bank accounts, get social security cards and medical card.

My wife is supposed to deliver our first baby during September 2024. So we will return back and settle in Canada during that period.

I wanted to know which province should I go to get the delivery covered by the government? And is 2 weeks enough during May to get the medical card and be covered?

PS: we are planning to move to Toronto, Montreal or Quebec

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
We will do our first landing in Canada in May 2024. We will stay for 2 weeks and return to our country. During these 2 weeks we will do the preliminaries like: look for apartments, get bank accounts, get social security cards and medical card.

My wife is supposed to deliver our first baby during September 2024. So we will return back and settle in Canada during that period.

I wanted to know which province should I go to get the delivery covered by the government? And is 2 weeks enough during May to get the medical card and be covered?

The following lists the wait times for public health insurance coverage in each province/territory:

Alberta: 3 months

British Columbia: 2 months + any remainder of the month after residence in the province is first established

Manitoba: Up to 3 months

New Brunswick: 3 months

Newfoundland and Labrador: No waiting period

Northwest Territories: 3 months

Nova Scotia: 3 months

Nunavut: 3 months

Ontario: No waiting period

Prince Edward Island: 3 months

Quebec: Up to 3 months

Saskatchewan: 3 months

Yukon: 3 months

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
Are you Quebec approved?

You can complete landing formalities in Quebec however it cannot look like you are planning on settling in Quebec since you were approved for PR through the Federal program. You must provide an address for the mailing of your PR card that is outside of the province of Quebec.

Reactions: YVR123

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
For each province, there is residence requirement (how many months of the year you will stay and settle in the province). Otherwise, they could charge the cost for using the system without meeting the requirement. And for most, you cannot apply after soft landing and spend the "waiting period" outside of Canada and returned. So getting your medical cards during soft landing is not the right thing to do.

You should apply after you are settling (so closer to Sept). btw the due day is just a prediction. So no one knows exactly when the baby will be born.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You don’t qualify to apply for health cards on your short landing because you will not fulfil the residency requirement to qualify for healthcare and would be committing healthcare fraud in most provinces if you apply and then leave again.

Your priority should be moving to a province where you can find housing and employment. If you are using healthcare you need to plan on being in that province for 6-12 months to still qualify for the healthcare you used.

Would add that it may take many weeks to get an OB so arriving so close to your due date will mean foregoing prenatal care for at least a few weeks if not longer which is not advised.