+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New immigrant to Vancouver

m111

Star Member
Nov 22, 2014
Hello there...
So I did it and got my passport stamped then did short landing and got my PR.
Now I applied to UBC for my Masters degree and planning to go to Vancouver,BC.
Should I be worried? Basically I know NO ONE there. not even within 3000miles radius.
I heard crime rate is high, costly, no jobs. Is it that bad?
I was planning to rent a place outside university campus. Should I stick to university dormitories?
Any advise.

TheAwesomeMatt

Star Member
Jun 26, 2013
Victoria, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-02-2013
AOR Received.
08-21-2013
Med's Request
02-18-2014
Med's Done....
03-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
03-21-2014
LANDED..........
04-06-2014
The crime rate is not high, unless you're coming from a place with so little crime. Surrey has a reputation for crime but it's really not the bad.

The cost is high for the quality of salaries offered, that's well documented. Vacancy rate for rentals is very low (various reasons but mostly seems like development hasn't matched immigration), so living in dorms for university would be a smoother transition and you may have issued getting a rental unit if you have no established Canadian credit.

Good luck with the move!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

m111 said:
Hello there...
So I did it and got my passport stamped then did short landing and got my PR.
Now I applied to UBC for my Masters degree and planning to go to Vancouver,BC.
Should I be worried? Basically I know NO ONE there. not even within 3000miles radius.
I heard crime rate is high, costly, no jobs. Is it that bad?
I was planning to rent a place outside university campus. Should I stick to university dormitories?
Any advise.
1. You should note that you should have applied for residence with your Master's application. As residence's are only guaranteed for 1st year students: http://you.ubc.ca/ubc-life/vancouver/residence/

m111

Star Member
Nov 22, 2014
PMM said:
Hi

1. You should note that you should have applied for residence with your Master's application. As residence's are only guaranteed for 1st year students: http://you.ubc.ca/ubc-life/vancouver/residence/
I will contact the university to try to a secure a place there.