+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New immigrant (PR)

msamiullah

Star Member
May 31, 2013
Hi all,

I got family immigration as my father got immigration and I was in his dependent (son). I got my PR in July-13 and left Canada in early Aug-13.
I heard that there is a rule that one might lose his/her PR if do not enter the country within 1 year (some says 6 months). I am planning to go to Canada in Aug-14.
Will it be a problem ??

Thanks in advance

MofC2014

Star Member
Jan 17, 2014
msamiullah said:
Hi all,

I got family immigration as my father got immigration and I was in his dependent (son). I got my PR in July-13 and left Canada in early Aug-13.
I heard that there is a rule that one might lose his/her PR if do not enter the country within 1 year (some says 6 months). I am planning to go to Canada in Aug-14.
Will it be a problem ??

Thanks in advance
No you will be ok. The PR obligation states that you have to remain in canada for 2 out of every 5 years (730 days within a 5 yr period). It doesnt matter if it's consecutive or not.

MofC2014

Star Member
Jan 17, 2014
msamiullah said:
Thanks and how about for citizenship ? Whats the new requirement ?
Your days away do not count towards citizenship.
The current rules are still the same, there is a chance later this year they will up the requirement to 4 years out of 6 yrs to qualify for citizenship, right now it's still 3years out of last 5years

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
i think you are confusing with the immigrant visa, in which case you have to land in canada within a certain period to receive your record of landing and apply for a PR card. once you are registered as a landed resident, you have to maintain 2 out 5 years residency.

Graihn

Jul 15, 2013
Kitchener-Waterloo
Category........
Visa Office......
London UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 22 2014
File Transfer...
Feb 22 2014
VISA ISSUED...
Oct 1 2014
LANDED..........
Dec 12 2014
MofC2014 said:
Your days away do not count towards citizenship.
The current rules are still the same, there is a chance later this year they will up the requirement to 4 years out of 6 yrs to qualify for citizenship, right now it's still 3years out of last 5years
Do you think that this could possibly be grandfathered for people who become PRs and start living in Canada before the new requirement? Meaning, if I enter this fall, and they change the rule to 4 years next spring, that I will only need to count up three years?

Hope so..

MofC2014

Star Member
Jan 17, 2014
Graihn said:
Do you think that this could possibly be grandfathered for people who become PRs and start living in Canada before the new requirement? Meaning, if I enter this fall, and they change the rule to 4 years next spring, that I will only need to count up three years?

Hope so..
Unfortunately no, if this gets passed, all applications for citizenship received after the new regulations is in place will be subject to the new rules, meaning 4 years out of 6 years.

As far as I know the applications for citizenship already in queue will not be subject to the new rules.

yvr1234

Star Member
Aug 22, 2013
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-09-2012
AOR Received.
13-12-2012
Med's Done....
01-09-2012
LANDED..........
29-10-2013
msamiullah said:
Hi all,

Will it be a problem ??

Thanks in advance
You will be fine to enter. But you will need to think about staying in Canada to maintain your PR status. They do count every day you stay within the country but not how long and how frequent you go in and out.