+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

new CWP and SOWP extension in parallel

lakshmi1619

May 18, 2023
Can we apply for new closed work permit(LMIA initiation is in progress, once approved) while spouse open work permit extension is in progress for the same individual from inside Canada? Not changing the employer.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Can we apply for new closed work permit(LMIA initiation is in progress, once approved) while spouse open work permit extension is in progress for the same individual from inside Canada? Not changing the employer.
How can the SOWP extension be in process? It is dependent on the approved closed WP. You can apply for SOWP at the same time as applying for extension of closed WP once LMIA is approved.

lakshmi1619

May 18, 2023
How can the SOWP extension be in process? It is dependent on the approved closed WP. You can apply for SOWP at the same time as applying for extension of closed WP once LMIA is approved.
Thanks for your response!!Let me elaborate. My Spouse is a primary applicant and his closed work permit extension is in progress since Oct30th, with that, his company also applied SOWP extension for me. Now, my company in process of applying the GTS LMIA for myself and they also plan to initiate new closed work permit for myself once LMIA approved. If I am receiving LMIA soon, can my organization can go-ahead initiate the closed work permit for myself while other SOWP extension is in progress?

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for your response!!Let me elaborate. My Spouse is a primary applicant and his closed work permit extension is in progress since Oct30th, with that, his company also applied SOWP extension for me. Now, my company in process of applying the GTS LMIA for myself and they also plan to initiate new closed work permit for myself once LMIA approved. If I am receiving LMIA soon, can my organization can go-ahead initiate the closed work permit for myself while other SOWP extension is in progress?
Yes you can apply for the closed WP while SOWP is in process. You need the SOWP extension because I assume you are in Canada and working. Hopefully you get the SOWP extension followed by the closed WP although it doesn’t make a lot of sense to apply for both WPs

lakshmi1619

May 18, 2023
Yes you can apply for the closed WP while SOWP is in process. You need the SOWP extension because I assume you are in Canada and working. Hopefully you get the SOWP extension followed by the closed WP although it doesn’t make a lot of sense to apply for both WPs
Appreciate your response here and yes, your assumption is right, I am here in Canada and working. After the SOWP extension was applied, my organization came forward very recently and mentioned that they would like to apply for an LMIA, followed by a work permit. Still paperwork work for LMIA is getting done, hope everything goes smooth. I prefer a CWP in my scenario for two reasons: Firstly, claiming 50 points for LMIA in the Express Entry system and the ability to be independent. Secondly, my husband can obtain an spouse open work permit if needed in the future.