+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New citizen: which documents to keep?

Mr. Preppy

Star Member
Aug 21, 2012
I'm new proud Canadian citizen. My journey started many years ago when I came here as a refugee. As a result I have many documents including visa, refugee claim, pr, rtd, taxes, citizenship - related documents and copies of application forms, I have almost ten folders of papers.

My question: Can I destroy all documents/papers, except Citizenship ceritifcate and CoPR (for pension)? What else is crucial for a citizen except those two documents? I'm asking because I'm moving soon to another apartment and I want to start a new life of Canadian citizen and forget about all sufferings and struggles I had on my way.

Thanks!

Reactions: jazibkg

tenacioustopanga

Star Member
Dec 9, 2017
I think that's kind of a personal decision on what you want to keep. If it was me, I would keep all government issued documents forever, even if expired. You never know when it might come in handy, but I would destroy all copies of applications, etc that I collected over the years.

Reactions: YoyoTofi

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
Taxes are supposed to be kept for a period of time in case you are audited. It used to be 5 or 7 years of documents. I keep 7 years back, myself.

Mr. Preppy

Star Member
Aug 21, 2012
I think that's kind of a personal decision on what you want to keep. If it was me, I would keep all government issued documents forever, even if expired. You never know when it might come in handy, but I would destroy all copies of applications, etc that I collected over the years.
Thats right, its very personal decision, my question was mainly on the legal side of the issue - what is mandatory to keep and what we can destroy? as I know even CoPR could be retrieved in case of lost and not so crucial.

Mr. Preppy

Star Member
Aug 21, 2012
Taxes are supposed to be kept for a period of time in case you are audited. It used to be 5 or 7 years of documents. I keep 7 years back, myself.
Can we just keep soft-copies (official pdf from online declaration and some scanned copies)?

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
just keep COPR and Citizenship Certificate.
Keep last 4-5 yrs of tax assessment......generally....
Shred everything else
Take good care of your Canadian passport.....always keep a copy in email or a USB stick, etc

Congratulations.