+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New Canadian Citizen and a H1B holder crossing the border everyday

muralim

Jan 4, 2017
Hi Friends,
I am a Canadian PR until now and took the citizenship exam recently. I am expecting my oath ceremony anytime now. Also, I live in Windsor and cross the border every day to work in the US on an H1B visa. My H1B has 4 more years left (renewal is in a year). My I-94 in my current passport (country A) is valid until October 2020. This is my understanding of my situation:

1. After receiving the Canadian passport, when I cross the border through the land for the first time, carry I-797 and my Canadian passport
2. Tell the officer that my citizenship is changed and handover my I-94 from the passport from Country A
3. I will get the new I-94 on my Canadian passport
4. Commute every day with Canadian passport and I-797 ( I confirmed with the lawyer, he said I do not need an H1B visa in the Canadian passport, rather I should carry the Canadian passport and I-797 every time)

Could anyone let me know whether I am correct here, please? I am mainly not sure about Steps 2 and 3.

leothelion123

Star Member
Jul 18, 2012
This is a bit tricky as legally you can't hold 2 passports Indian and Canadian - you need to surrender your Indian passport

muralim

Jan 4, 2017
I am from Sri Lanka. But as you said I cannot hold two passports either. So should I return the I-94 from my Sri Lankan passport before I get the Canadian passport (I can return the I-94 to the Canadian border officials - For B1/B2 visa I know that people return it when they leave just before the expiry date of I-94)?