+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New Born to Canadian PR + PR Status

dsqboy

Apr 19, 2011
Dear All,

Need clarity on the following...

1. What is the process to obtain PR status for a new born which is born outside Canada? How long this will will take. The kid is born in India

2. I'm a PR and been living outside Canada. To maintain the PR status i was told i should have 2 years of PR validity upon my return to canada. what will happend after 2 years?? Do i need to apply for PR again and will it be an issue to get PR extended. Currenly I have 3 years validity.

3. If i have 3 years of PR validity and i stay in Canada for 3 years i can apply for citizenship. But i decide not to get citizenship and maintain my indian citizenship will canada allows me to continue on PR after 3 years of stay in Canada??

Suri

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dsqboy said:
1. What is the process to obtain PR status for a new born which is born outside Canada? How long this will will take. The kid is born in India
You must sponsor your baby for PR. You must be in Canada to do this. It is possible that a TRV for the baby will be denied for your family to go together in which case, you must either leave the baby behind or you can try for a TRP which is sometimes granted in these situations. Getting the PR for the baby through India will probably take between 3 and 6 months.

dsqboy said:
2. I'm a PR and been living outside Canada. To maintain the PR status i was told i should have 2 years of PR validity upon my return to canada. what will happend after 2 years?? Do i need to apply for PR again and will it be an issue to get PR extended. Currenly I have 3 years validity.
You must be in Canada in order to apply to renew your PR card. When you do, immigration will look at the previous 5 year period or since you got your PR if that was less than 5 years ago. If you were outside Canada for 1095 days or more during that time, you do not meet the requirements and they are likely to refuse to renew your PR card and revoke your PR status.

dsqboy said:
3. If i have 3 years of PR validity and i stay in Canada for 3 years i can apply for citizenship. But i decide not to get citizenship and maintain my indian citizenship will canada allows me to continue on PR after 3 years of stay in Canada??
As long as you keep meeting the residency requirements, that is spending at least 730 days in Canada in any 5 year period and stay on the right side of the law, you can keep renewing your PR card as often as you want to. Another option is that you could stay for 3 years and take Canadian citizenship and get Indian OCI citizenship.

SJ2009

May 14, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
28/08/2010
Hi Leon,
I am a PR residing in Kuwait, I want to apply TRP for my child. whom should we contact, local embassy or Visa office in London....and also the processing time?

With Regards

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
SJ2009 said:
Hi Leon,
I am a PR residing in Kuwait, I want to apply TRP for my child. whom should we contact, local embassy or Visa office in London....and also the processing time?

With Regards
At http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/offices/apply-where.asp#k it says that Abu Dhabi is responsible for visa applications from Kuwait so you should start there. I can not tell you the processing time.

clubcanada

Sep 7, 2010
Be aware that you need to proof that your child will leave Canada after visa expiration. This is key to getting the visa and it sounds easier than it is. If i recall correclty you also need to an address in Canada as you will be inviting the person. Being a PR residing in Kuwait does not help...

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
Are you married to a Canadian citizen? If so, your child is automatically a Canadian, even though you must apply for a citizenship certificate and then a passport.

(SO as not to appear smarter than I am, I confess that Leon told me this.)