+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New born in USA (after Landing in Canada)

hopetogetpr

Sep 21, 2010
Does anyone know the process of getting PR for a new born to parents who have landed in Canada, but stayed out of Canada (in USA) for a year immediately after landing (the child was born during this time)? Both parents have landed in Canada and so are officially permanent residents. The baby was born in USA, so is a US citizen.

Can the baby go to Canada along with Canadian PR parents as a visitor (US citizens do not need Canadian visitor visa?) and then the PR parents can apply for PR for the baby once in Canada under family class?

Any idea about time-lines if the above process is correct?

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, no need for visa for your child born in USA.To travel between the US and Canada, you will need to obtain a US passport for your child. While landing at the Canadian airport, you may need to fill up some forms with the Immigration Officer.
Then while you are in Canada you can sponsor your child and regularize the status in Canada.

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
Maybe not as easy as it sounds. It will be at the discretion of the officer at the port of entry whether or not to admit the child to Canada with two PR parents for the purpose of sponsorship. You would think it would only be fair - a newborn and all - but those officers are not compelled to be fair. They may require proof of a sponsorship application in process, among other things. I think that you improve your chances if one of you goes ahead, gets established with a home and a job and gets the sponsorship application in process. Then - with proof of all that - the other tries to bring the child into Canada at a later date.

It might work if you were to just arrive together, but at that point you will be unable to prove that you actually intend to do what you're supposed to and submit sponsorship paperwork - because you can't do that until you are established in Canada. It was your choice not to move to Canada when you landed (which they don't really look kindly on) and then to have a child outside of Canada - so they may not be inclined (and they don't have to be) to make this easy for you.

hopetogetpr

Sep 21, 2010
Thanks to you both for your valuable suggestions.

RobsLuv, when you suggest that one of the parents goes to Canada first, gets established, submits sponsorship application... will it suffice if say I go to Canada first, get a job and a rental apartment in (say) 2-3 weeks and immediately apply for my child's sponsorship? Can I even apply for sponsorship immediately, or do I need to wait to show that I am "established" in Canada?

Also, can my child enter Canada as a US citizen tourist while the sponsorship application is pending? I guess I will at least have to wait for an acknowledgment number or something (like AOR# in FSW?) to prove that I have actually applied for the sponsorship.

Any ideas?