+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New Aplication

Rubydoo

Feb 26, 2010
Hi everyone i have just joined the forum and am after some serious advice.

Me and my wife are both 37 years of age and feel the UK no longer has a future for us or the kids. Canada has always been a dream place to live for us escpecially British Columbia. My Wife is a qualified social worker and me a taxi driver and ex postal worker. My dilema is does my wife qualify us as a skilled worker ?

Thanks in advance.
Jason

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Good news, bad news scenario:

Good news: Your wife's occupation would have an NOC code of 4152, which is Skill Level A.

http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/NOC/2006/ProfileKeyword.aspx?val=4&val1=4152&val11=social+worker&val12=0&val13=0&val14=&val15=0&val16=0

So, yes, it is considered a skilled occupation. However, it is not on the list of 38 occupations that automatically qualify under SW1.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-who-instructions.asp#list

Bad news: She would have to find an employer before she could come.

aidandoherty

Dec 29, 2009
Plus I would hazard a guess that due to the nature of social work ie dealing with vulnerable demographics it is probably regulated. I'm only guessing though but check it out. She would probably need to be eligible to register with some provincial or federal body to work. I couldn't work in my career when I went so moved into clinical research. I would've had to go back to university for 3 years full time and pay 18000 dollars a year for the privilege. Needless to say I decided to go drinking instead!

aidandoherty

Dec 29, 2009
But don't be deterred by that. If your wife is a registered social worker in the NHS then there may be ways to obtain Canadian registration while working in the uk. The Canadian government run such programs in the uk. I could've sat Canadian exams in London. If it's something that you really want there are ways and means to begin processes. If in fact social work has a governing body in Canada like it does in the uk then your wife would greatly increase her chances of obtaining an arranged employment offer with recognition. I'd say she would have a good chance, social workers are always in demand regardless