+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

network engineer/ IT related/ Computer Engineer Graduate

Geloof

Apr 23, 2014
do canadian company hire a computer engineer graduate not having any experience on that job? i do not have a job experience since i am waiting for our permanent resident status in canada? by the way we will be in ontario. thanks

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
NO and definitely not someone who is not a PR and has foreign credentials.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You could enroll in University or a college and do some courses related to your profession. This way you'll have Canadian education and employers will look more favorably towards that

Geloof

Apr 23, 2014
newtone said:
You could enroll in University or a college and do some courses related to your profession. This way you'll have Canadian education and employers will look more favorably towards that
so it would be like an upgrade? or back to zero again?

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Upgrade but you also have to remember Canadian work experience plays a very important role in your hiring process. Which puts you in a catch 22 situation....you dont have Canadian work experience but most companies will not hire you if you dont have Canadian work experience. In your case you dont have any work experience at all. So you will have to start from the bottom like maybe pushing carts filled with old computer equipment or unbox computers, staple papers, clean communal fridge/microwave and maybe counter top in the lunch room. You may have to do volunteer job for a while because Canadian companies generally like to get free work from employees, and their justification is the employees are getting work experience (obviously without pay!)

Geloof

Apr 23, 2014
newtone said:
Upgrade but you also have to remember Canadian work experience plays a very important role in your hiring process. Which puts you in a catch 22 situation....you dont have Canadian work experience but most companies will not hire you if you dont have Canadian work experience. In your case you dont have any work experience at all. So you will have to start from the bottom like maybe pushing carts filled with old computer equipment or unbox computers, staple papers, clean communal fridge/microwave and maybe counter top in the lunch room. You may have to do volunteer job for a while because Canadian companies generally like to get free work from employees, and their justification is the employees are getting work experience (obviously without pay!)
so how long it will take for my upgrade? anyway thanks for the information, another question do you know what university or colleges in ontario that is open for any upgrades?

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Geloof said:
so how long it will take for my upgrade? anyway thanks for the information, another question do you know what university or colleges in ontario that is open for any upgrades?

How long? Depends on your course load and how many courses you can take As far as the duration of the course you need to inquire with the university/college directly. Google is your best friend

Geloof

Apr 23, 2014
newtone said:
How long? Depends on your course load and how many courses you can take As far as the duration of the course you need to inquire with the university/college directly. Google is your best friend
ok thanks for the information. So even if you have any international certificates just like microsoft certified professional, and cisco certified network associate, they will not hire you?

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The problem is you dont have work experience related to your field.

Geloof

Apr 23, 2014
newtone said:
The problem is you dont have work experience related to your field.
that is the problem, i hope i can find some company that hire for an entry level position on that job. Again thanks for the info., we will just wait for our PR and then i will do everything i can just to get the job related to my field when i get there.

Katayoon

Champion Member
Nov 19, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Almost any college in Ontario or elsewhere is open for upgrades, because upgrade for you is $$$$$$ for them. These programs are normally found in continuing education section of the website. I suggest to find a course that has some sort of internship within it and preferably is partnering with an industry association so that you can get both college diploma and industry accreditation at the end.

Geloof said:

Geloof

Apr 23, 2014
Katayoon said:
Almost any college in Ontario or elsewhere is open for upgrades, because upgrade for you is $$$$$$ for them. These programs are normally found in continuing education section of the website. I suggest to find a course that has some sort of internship within it and preferably is partnering with an industry association so that you can get both college diploma and industry accreditation at the end.
ok thanks for the info., i will do that i hope the upgrade won't be that too long

Katayoon

Champion Member
Nov 19, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you already did advanced university studies, you will most probably be bored mindless in these courses because you may know better than teacher the subject (I already did such upgrade course at a college and felt like I am thrown back into kindergarten). So I would not call this update but rather a validation of your credentials and the opportunity to gain work experience via internship. In my humble opinion, going for a diploma with no built-in internship is not wise.

Geloof said:
ok thanks for the info., i will do that i hope the upgrade won't be that too long

Geloof

Apr 23, 2014
Katayoon said:
If you already did advanced university studies, you will most probably be bored mindless in these courses because you may know better than teacher the subject (I already did such upgrade course at a college and felt like I am thrown back into kindergarten). So I would not call this update but rather a validation of your credentials and the opportunity to gain work experience via internship. In my humble opinion, going for a diploma with no built-in internship is not wise.
so where did you take that update sir? and from where are you in canada? by the way i took some masteral units in IT too