+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need to some advice on applying for masters in social work in canada plz

lily21

Jul 8, 2012
Hey guys recently just finished my undergraduate degree in Education studies in the UK certain of a 2.1 (God willing).I am hoping to go to canada next year for my masters in social work (i applied this year in the UK but never got accepted as i i let my nerves take over at the interview). need some advice on how to go about applying

1. how much do i need to show as proof of funds (I am originally nigerian by the way)

2. are international students allowed to work partime ?

3 I would really like to do masters but what do you think about a post grad diploma (not very keen on it lol but I have been looking at some universities and their requirements are pretty high not slightly confused :/)

4. would really like to speak to someone who has "been there done that " you can inbox me I would really appreciate it

thanks guys x

acca247

Mar 28, 2011
Visa Office......
CDHC,LAGOS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
RECEIVED ON 4TH APRIL,2011
IELTS Request
NOT REQUIRED
Med's Request
13TH JULY,2011
Med's Done....
26TH JULY,2011
Interview........
4TH JULY,2011
Passport Req..
SUBMITTED TO CDHC ON 27TH JULY,2011
Hello brova,
I am also a Nigerian. Never been to Canada,but I have applied and been called for medical. I have a medical reference till 2013 and by June,2013,I shld be good to go(Insha Allah)
now to ur question.
1)No specific fund as proof though,but u need to have proof fund to ur 1st yr tuition+ living expenses(minimum of $10,000 CAD) If you also have any other liquid assets like share,equity etc,you may add it to it.
2) Yea,International students can apply for partime job if they are attending publi or govt.funded institutions but that will be 6mths after their arrival.
3) Depending on ur grade,if u knw u wnt be accepted for Masters,u can enrol for PGD and after which u can proceed to Master's
I wish u good luck

Inam89

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Yes
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
Yes
Just adding to the Point 2 of the above reply:

Students are allowed to work ON CAMPUS right from day one but can't work OFF CAMPUS until 6 months of studies in Canada. You are eligible to apply for Off Campus work Permit (OCWP) after 6 months of studies in Canada (assuming you meet the eligibility criteria) and it takes about 30 to 40 days for your work permit to arrive so practically you will be working off campus almost after 7 months.