+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need some really good advice here please

rma1975

Jan 11, 2012
I got my new work permit with a new employer last Feb 10, but there was an error on the occupation, so what happened is that i called CIC Call center they asked me to send it back together with the form that they asked me to fill out at the Ottawa office. I had tracking number and they received my docs Feb 14. Based on the CIC website it will take at least a month to receive the amended work permit. I'm a bit worried now because i haven't receive my WP yet and it's nearly a month now. Furthermore, i received my new LMO from my current employer. What should i do, because my current WP will expire March 24, should i wait for my new WP to arrived? what if it passes the 1month time frame and haven't received it yet? Should i renew my WP with the same employer since i have the new LMO before my WP expires to avoid the restoration of my status?
Please help.

ragluf

Champion Member
Feb 15, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rma1975 said:
I got my new work permit with a new employer last Feb 10, but there was an error on the occupation, so what happened is that i called CIC Call center they asked me to send it back together with the form that they asked me to fill out at the Ottawa office. I had tracking number and they received my docs Feb 14. Based on the CIC website it will take at least a month to receive the amended work permit. I'm a bit worried now because i haven't receive my WP yet and it's nearly a month now. Furthermore, i received my new LMO from my current employer. What should i do, because my current WP will expire March 24, should i wait for my new WP to arrived? what if it passes the 1month time frame and haven't received it yet? Should i renew my WP with the same employer since i have the new LMO before my WP expires to avoid the restoration of my status?
Please help.
Amendment of temporary resident documents (including WP) is done on valid documents (not expired). If you were issued a new WP for a new employer - then your worker status/temporary residence status is still valid up to the duration/expiration date on the new WP. If you have any other docs (email approval etc.) that show you were approved for the new WP or at least a photocopy - ask your new employer if that is enough for them to let you start working for them, while waiting for the amendment to come back. You can then transfer to the new employer.

Expiry of your old WP now will not matter if you decide to work for the new employer.

If you decide to stay with current employer, then you need to apply/renew your WP using the LMO issued to you before your current WP expires, to allow you to continue working for them as under the same conditions of your current WP, even if it expires and you have not received the new one. If you allow it to expire, you cannot work for your current employer until you receive a new WP (tied or "closed" to your current employer)...

/i hope this helps...

rma1975

Jan 11, 2012
ragluf said:
Amendment of temporary resident documents (including WP) is done on valid documents (not expired). If you were issued a new WP for a new employer - then your worker status/temporary residence status is still valid up to the duration/expiration date on the new WP. If you have any other docs (email approval etc.) that show you were approved for the new WP or at least a photocopy - ask your new employer if that is enough for them to let you start working for them, while waiting for the amendment to come back. You can then transfer to the new employer.

Expiry of your old WP now will not matter if you decide to work for the new employer.

If you decide to stay with current employer, then you need to apply/renew your WP using the LMO issued to you before your current WP expires, to allow you to continue working for them as under the same conditions of your current WP, even if it expires and you have not received the new one. If you allow it to expire, you cannot work for your current employer until you receive a new WP (tied or "closed" to your current employer)...

/i hope this helps...
Does it happen wherein the amendment on the new wp exceeds the time frame? My new employer doesn't permit me to work for them unless i received the amended work permit, they said they're very strict when it comes to that. I want to resign to my current employer though i already have a new LMO for them. But my worry is that maybe my new work permit will not arrive or maybe denied?

Should i resign and give notice now to my current employer and wait for my new work permit?

My current WP will expire Mar 24.

rma1975

Jan 11, 2012
So, the new WP that i have returned for amendment is the current work permit that I am having though it needs some amendment?
Yes i do have a copy of that work permit as an attachment to the email that i forwarded to my employer.

ragluf

Champion Member
Feb 15, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rma1975 said:
So, the new WP that i have returned for amendment is the current work permit that I am having though it needs some amendment?
Yes i do have a copy of that work permit as an attachment to the email that i forwarded to my employer.
Depends - are you transferring or staying with your current employer?

If you are transferring - the new WP you sent for amendment becomes your valid WP.

If you are staying with your current employer, then you need to apply/renew your WP using the LMO issued by your current employer.

You cannot use a WP issued with conditions for one employer, to work for another one. You can only do so and transfer employer's freely if you have an open work permit.

/hope this helps...

rma1975

Jan 11, 2012
ragluf said:
Depends - are you transferring or staying with your current employer?

If you are transferring - the new WP you sent for amendment becomes your valid WP.

If you are staying with your current employer, then you need to apply/renew your WP using the LMO issued by your current employer.

You cannot use a WP issued with conditions for one employer, to work for another one. You can only do so and transfer employer's freely if you have an open work permit.

/hope this helps...
What if i havent received the WP within the timeframe? Does the CIC call center has the answer on what causes the delay?

ragluf

Champion Member
Feb 15, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rma1975 said:
What if i havent received the WP within the timeframe? Does the CIC call center has the answer on what causes the delay?
Are you referring to the timeframe for sending you back the amended (new) WP?

If you are, then should follow-up with CIC as it is their responsibility to send back the amended WP within the timelines posted on cic.gc.ca. I do not exactly know how amendment requests/applications are tracked, but most likely this is still done on the basis of your UCI. Depending on where the amendment application/request is now within the processing chain (it mau be handled by a different department etc.) the call centre agents may or may not be able to provide where your amendment application/request is currently.

Now, not having your amended WP physically in your possession does not remove the fact that indeed you were issued a new WP for a new employer and hence your status as a worker is valid. As proof, as I asked, if you have photocopies of the WP, plus any confirmation email of approval, that can serve in the meantime while you are waiting for your the amended WP to come back.

/all the best..

rma1975

Jan 11, 2012
ragluf said:
Are you referring to the timeframe for sending you back the amended (new) WP?

If you are, then should follow-up with CIC as it is their responsibility to send back the amended WP within the timelines posted on cic.gc.ca. I do not exactly know how amendment requests/applications are tracked, but most likely this is still done on the basis of your UCI. Depending on where the amendment application/request is now within the processing chain (it mau be handled by a different department etc.) the call centre agents may or may not be able to provide where your amendment application/request is currently.

Now, not having your amended WP physically in your possession does not remove the fact that indeed you were issued a new WP for a new employer and hence your status as a worker is valid. As proof, as I asked, if you have photocopies of the WP, plus any confirmation email of approval, that can serve in the meantime while you are waiting for your the amended WP to come back.

/all the best..
Thank you so much for ur reply. I really appreciate it. I called up CIC today they told me to wait till Mar 14. Till then they will informed me of the status if WP is not yet with me on that date. I resign definitely on my current employer and wait for my amended WP to arrive.

You are such a big help. Cheers.

ragluf

Champion Member
Feb 15, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rma1975 said:
Thank you so much for ur reply. I really appreciate it. I called up CIC today they told me to wait till Mar 14. Till then they will informed me of the status if WP is not yet with me on that date. I resign definitely on my current employer and wait for my amended WP to arrive.

You are such a big help. Cheers.
Glad to be of service kabayan...(belatedly saw your other posts..)

ragluf

Champion Member
Feb 15, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rma1975 said:
by the way, are there any cases wherein the wp was denied for amendments? just curious. :)
Can't be of much assistance on this one unfortunately - I have not heard of any case yet of denial of the already issued WP sent for amendment.

/all the best...

rma1975

Jan 11, 2012
ragluf said:
Can't be of much assistance on this one unfortunately - I have not heard of any case yet of denial of the already issued WP sent for amendment.

/all the best...
what a relief! Thanks again!