+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need some doubts to be cleared on the Post Graduate Work Permit

tranzopoid

Feb 3, 2010
Hi all,

I recently completed my MScEE in Electrical Engineering and now I got a post graduate work permit which expires on Aug 2011 ( when my passport also expires). From what I knew, I was entitled to a 3 year post grad work permit. Since that did not happen and I still have to find/get a job and I am getting worried about what to do next. I want to immigrate to Canada and although I have the points, I was thinking of working for a year before applying cause that way the processing time is very fast ( less than 6 months ).

Could anybody give me some idea as to how to get an extension on the post graduate work permit and other options I could take?

Thank You

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

tranzopoid said:
Hi all,

I recently completed my MScEE in Electrical Engineering and now I got a post graduate work permit which expires on Aug 2011 ( when my passport also expires). From what I knew, I was entitled to a 3 year post grad work permit. Since that did not happen and I still have to find/get a job and I am getting worried about what to do next. I want to immigrate to Canada and although I have the points, I was thinking of working for a year before applying cause that way the processing time is very fast ( less than 6 months ).

Could anybody give me some idea as to how to get an extension on the post graduate work permit and other options I could take?

Thank You
When your passport is extended, you then can apply for the rest of your PGWP. CIC will only give you a PGWP to the expiry of the passport.

PMM

tranzopoid

Feb 3, 2010
Thanks PMM,

But here is the problem. On my work permit it states clearly that "Temporary Resident Status maintained as per R183(6). Post Graduate Work Permit Program. Validity given only to expiration of passport. JL-E** "

The validation comment made me wonder if I was eligible for applying for the remaining duration of my PGW permit.

ALM123

Nov 27, 2011
Can you tell me what was the length of your program? I studied for one and half year in toronto and now want to apply for post graduate work permit. Do you think I would get a 3 year Post grad work permit ?? I heard if you apply from buffalo you get a 3 year work permit regardless of the length of the program.

preet04

Sep 28, 2014
Hi,
I have complete my one year program last year in April 2014.Afterwards, I got admission in Sep 2014 for my second program.But,unfortunately because of illness I had to go back to my home country.Meanwhile,I had informed my college about this and got a deferred offer letter for Jan 2015.Now,I am doing my second program and it will finish by the end of the aug of this year.

So, my question is that for how long I will get PGWP?

andisheh

Apr 3, 2014
Hello all,

I have defended my master's thesis three weeks ago and now I have an official letter form the university stating that I have finished all the requirements of the degree. I am planning to apply for PGWP. I am filling out IM5710E form (application to change conditions, extend my stay, or remain in Canada as a worker). I have a question about this form. What should I put as the "current activity or occupation" in this form.

Thanks a lot in advance.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

andisheh said:
Hello all,

I have defended my master's thesis three weeks ago and now I have an official letter form the university stating that I have finished all the requirements of the degree. I am planning to apply for PGWP. I am filling out IM5710E form (application to change conditions, extend my stay, or remain in Canada as a worker). I have a question about this form. What should I put as the "current activity or occupation" in this form.

Thanks a lot in advance.
Student.