+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need my Dads certified birth certification?!

robinspree

Aug 1, 2017
Hey everybody! Im trying to send my "Proof of Citizenship" application but it says i need copy of my Dads "certified" birth certification! The problem is that im not much in contact with him and i cant order it myself!! I do have copy of his original birth certification but its just "photo copy" not "Certified copy" and even my own Certified birth certification tells my Dads birth place wich is Ontario Canada! I wil try to contact my Dad but i cant be sure if he is willing to help!

What can i do if my Dad is not willing to order it for me? Please helps!

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This is a problem, because you do need to send a certified copy.

Hopefully, you can get your father to help. If not, you could try making a self-certification and seeing whether that is accepted. To do that, type this on a sheet of paper: "I (your name) certify that the attached birth certificate of (your father's name) is a true copy of the original." Take that and a copy of the birth certificate to a notary public and have the notary certify your signature. (Don't sign & date until you are in front of the notary.)

I can't guarantee that such a certification will be acceptable to IRCC (see discussion here: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/proof-of-citizenship-for-minor-bit-of-a-problem.509191/), but it may be the best you can do.

Last edited:
Reactions: robinspree

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

This is a problem, because you do need to send a certified copy.

Hopefully, you can get your father to help. If not, you could try making a self-certification and seeing whether that is accepted. To do that, type this on a sheet of paper: "I (your name) certify that the attached birth certificate of (your father's name) is a true copy of the original." Take that and a copy of the birth certificate to a notary public and have the notary certify your signature. (Don't sign & date until you are in front of the notary.)

I can't guarantee that such a certification will be acceptable to IRCC (see discussion here: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/proof-of-citizenship-for-minor-bit-of-a-problem.509191/), but it may be the best you can do.
1. No, it won't work, a notary./lawyer requires the original document to certify a copy of it. How would the notary know that it is a true copy without seeing the original?

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi

1. No, it won't work, a notary./lawyer requires the original document to certify a copy of it. How would the notary know that it is a true copy without seeing the original?
I did not suggest that the notary certify the document as a true copy, which a notary cannot even do (even if he/she has the original) in many U.S. states. (See list at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Certified_copy) I suggested that the applicant state that the copy is the same as the original (which I'm sure it is) and have that statement notarized. Because of the fact that many people in the U.S. cannot have their documents certified by a notary, there has been discussion (see, for example: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/proof-of-citizenship-for-minor-bit-of-a-problem.509191/) of using the method I outlined. Whether it would or would not pass muster with IRCC, I don't know, but if the OP's father won't cooperate, he may have no recourse but to try it.

What do you suggest?

robinspree

Aug 1, 2017
Thank you for your answers! I have been thinking alot what should i do :S my Dad is really wierd person and he didint ever help much his childrens :S One option i have been thinking would court order be possible to get the document for IRCC? What do you think? Would the Judge help me?

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
First, I would suggest contacting your father to see if he will cooperate. If not, try what I suggested above: a self-certification of the copy you already have in your possession. .

Of course, you could hire a Canadian lawyer and take the matter to court, but the cost would be very expensive and Canadian courts do not move quickly. Are you prepared to spend many thousands of dollars and wait years for the matter to be resolved? Even then, it's not a sure thing that a judge would order a province to give you your father's birth certificate.

Last edited:

robinspree

Aug 1, 2017
Yeah thats sounds like a bad idea if its really expensive :( i would be able to still get child support from my Dad maybe, but i dont know how the court would handle the case as my Dad is not in Canada and i cant even prove to be Canadian Citizen :S But to be honest i dont even want the child support i have been working already since i was really young and i just would like to have the Canadian Citizenship and live and work there!

Last edited:

robinspree

Aug 1, 2017
Im wondering how strict are the IRCC, if i send them all the information i have, as i said before i have my Dads birth place even on my own Certified birth certification! and i have the photocopy of his original birth certification that tells his parents name. I have even photocopy of my grandpas old Canadian passport! and alot of all kind of proof and people who can certifie all the information!

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have given my suggestion, though of course you can do whatever you like. However, IRCC does not have a reputation of being lenient and bending the rules.

robinspree

Aug 1, 2017
I have given my suggestion, though of course you can do whatever you like. However, IRCC does not have a reputation of being lenient and bending the rules.
Yeah i will try that in first place! Lets hope it works! I would be so happy to get my proof of Citizenship!

Last edited: