+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need Help with the Reference Letter...

wenfeizh

Feb 10, 2016
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello All...

I started working a permanent NOC 1241 (Admin Assistant) Job March 23 last year, but last October, I was assigned a temporary NOC 1221 (Acting Admin Supervisor) position for about 4-5 weeks. And then I went back to my normal role as Admin Assistant till present. Also, last August, we had two weeks lay-off period due to funding cut.

The questions are:

1. Do I need to mention/or explain the 2 weeks lay-off in the reference letter?

2. In the reference letter, can I just write that I have been working as an Admin Assistant since March 23 (don't mention the Acting Admin Supervisor position at all)

3. Or do i need to mention both positions, and therefore write two reference letters?

4. When can I create my EE profile on the CIC website?

Thanks in advance...

koti

Star Member
Nov 22, 2012
You will need to report all employment history. If they found you did not report one of your previous job. You will be charged for misrepresentation and receive a 5 years ban. I am in this trouble right now.

wenfeizh

Feb 10, 2016
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
koti said:
You will need to report all employment history. If they found you did not report one of your previous job. You will be charged for misrepresentation and receive a 5 years ban. I am in this trouble right now.

May I ask what happened to you?

Darn...why this has to be so difficult. I had a temporary promotion which was supposed to be a good thing. But now it seems to make things more complicated. Sigh

wenfeizh

Feb 10, 2016
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
koti said:
wait...you meant all employment history? Even with the ones that won't get me points?? (i.e. restaurant server a while ago) Or you meant all the employment history that qualify me for more points?...

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
wenfeizh said:
1. Do I need to mention/or explain the 2 weeks lay-off in the reference letter?

Yes, if it was actually a "lay off," it was an interruption in employment that should be included in the letter (and the evidence will be in your T4). Of course that means that you will need to add (at least) 2 weeks to your calendar year to meet the one year requirement (if that is a concern).

2. In the reference letter, can I just write that I have been working as an Admin Assistant since March 23 (don't mention the Acting Admin Supervisor position at all)
3. Or do i need to mention both positions, and therefore write two reference letters?\

It depends... did your company's HR actually put through a change of position, including a change of pay etc? If yes, treat it like a separate position (although it can be included in the same letter of reference).

Or were you just covering while your supervisor was on leave, position was vacant, etc? If this is the case, you don't really need to treat it as a separate position, but it doesn't hurt to have it mentioned as a sentence in the letter, either.

4. When can I create my EE profile on the CIC website?
After you complete 1 year of employment... The system might accept your profile right now, but if you were to receive an ITA, you would have to decline, since you don't qualify yet... (unless you have previous skilled work experience in Canada...)

wenfeizh

Feb 10, 2016
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

Hey Jes_ON first of all thank you VERY MUCH for your detailed answer...

1. For the two-week lay off period we didn't get paid at all so I think I should exclude them while calculating the one year requirement like you said.

2. For the temporary position, HR actually issued me a letter saying that from which period I will be working as an Acting Admin Supervisor, AND the pay was different too (higher, and shown in online pay statements). So i guess i need to treat it as a separate position like you mentioned then.

4. Thank you for explaining this so clearly!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
wenfeizh said:
4. Thank you for explaining this so clearly!
You're welcome, and good luck!