+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

need help urgently

HaruMaki

Aug 21, 2009
Me and my wife live in Thailand,but i will attend to university (master's degree) in Canada next year.(already had letter of accepptance)
however i have few questions that i really concern. one of grad staffs told me that i can work off campus if i have studied in the program for six months.by the way,she also said that my wife can work,too.But she didn't tell me exactly about it.
so,i tried to seek information by myself and found that according to cic.ga.ca my wife can get work permit because my condition is validity.
1.Unfortunately,it doesn't mention that my wife can apply to change status from visitor to work permit when we land immediately or not.
(or we must wait until i learn six months completely)
2.Can my spouse apply for work permit from Thailand?
Thanks for any helps in advance.

Spanxx

Jan 28, 2010
1. I believe your wife can always change her status from a visitor to work permit considering that she can find an employer who is willing to employ her through HRDC and Labour Market Opinion.

2. She can apply for a work permit from thailand as well as long as she finds an employer who is willing to hire her through HRDC as well.

All the best!

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
HaruMaki said:
Me and my wife live in Thailand,but i will attend to university (master's degree) in Canada next year.(already had letter of accepptance)
however i have few questions that i really concern. one of grad staffs told me that i can work off campus if i have studied in the program for six months.by the way,she also said that my wife can work,too.But she didn't tell me exactly about it.
so,i tried to seek information by myself and found that according to cic.ga.ca my wife can get work permit because my condition is validity.
1.Unfortunately,it doesn't mention that my wife can apply to change status from visitor to work permit when we land immediately or not.
(or we must wait until i learn six months completely)
2.Can my spouse apply for work permit from Thailand?
Thanks for any helps in advance.
When you apply for a student permit/visa, process her TRV (visitor) at the same time. When you get to Canada, she can then apply to change her status to obtain the OWP.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/5269E.PDF p9

genius77

Star Member
Dec 25, 2008
simultaneous with the filing of your application, you can request the canadian embassy to directly issue an open work permit for your wife. just indicate said request in your cover letter and have you wife fill-up separately the temporary work permit application which shall be submitted along with your study permit application.

i have done the same when i applied in abu dhabi-canadian embassy and my partner was given an open work permit.

good luck with your application.

kalyan11069

Star Member
Oct 16, 2009
yeh my frinz u can get work after completion of 6 months study if u enroll for co-op curse.
and for ur wife work visa ,itz better to apply from Canada only . she can changeher status when u landed in Canada

Aikon

Jan 30, 2010
kalyan11069 said:
yeh my frinz u can get work after completion of 6 months study if u enroll for co-op curse.
and for ur wife work visa ,itz better to apply from Canada only . she can changeher status when u landed in Canada
Could you specify why is it better to apply from Canada? and does sousue need a job offer or not?
thank you