+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need help regarding study possibility during spousal sponsorhip process??

mail2bista

Star Member
Mar 17, 2013
toronto
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16 Sept'014
AOR Received.
16 Nov'014 (new delhi)
File Transfer...
3 Nov'014
Med's Done....
15 Aug'014
Passport Req..
30 April 2015
VISA ISSUED...
soon
LANDED..........
soon
Hello guys,

After a couple of weeks, I am back again in this forum. I highly appreciated for the help and suggestions I received from you guys during the preparation of my spouse sponsorship application (outland), without your help, I would not be able to give my application the final shape. Well, I submitted my spousal sponsorship application on 16 September 2014 and CIC received it on 17 September 2014. Since then I am waiting anxiously for the response from CIC. I suppose once my application gets approval, it will be transferred to visa office (new delhi, India) and hopefully I have to wait for couple of months for the final decision.

In the meantime, I am thinking to join the college to get the diploma course, but I am not sure whether I can use government grant (if I am not wrong, an instruction guide for spouse sponsorship says sponsor should not use any social fund during the process of sponsorship) . So does anyone aware of the fact that sponsor can or can not study using OSAP at this time while sponsor is waiting for the spouse sponsorship application process?. I am also thankful if anyone can tell me where to contact for the detailed information about this. Thank you very much.

Cathy645

Star Member
Jul 4, 2013
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Beijing
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-06-2014
AOR Received.
01-08-2014
File Transfer...
01-08-2014. (AOR2. 26-09-2014)
Med's Request
14-10-2014
Med's Done....
19-10-2014 (Received by VO 02-11-2014)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14-10-2014 (Decision made 07-11-2014)
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2014 (received COPR 13-11-2014)
LANDED..........
15-11-2014 (landed at border in Osoyoos)
mail2bista said:
Hello guys,

After a couple of weeks, I am back again in this forum. I highly appreciated for the help and suggestions I received from you guys during the preparation of my spouse sponsorship application (outland), without your help, I would not be able to give my application the final shape. Well, I submitted my spousal sponsorship application on 16 September 2014 and CIC received it on 17 September 2014. Since then I am waiting anxiously for the response from CIC. I suppose once my application gets approval, it will be transferred to visa office (new delhi, India) and hopefully I have to wait for couple of months for the final decision.

In the meantime, I am thinking to join the college to get the diploma course, but I am not sure whether I can use government grant (if I am not wrong, an instruction guide for spouse sponsorship says sponsor should not use any social fund during the process of sponsorship) . So does anyone aware of the fact that sponsor can or can not study using OSAP at this time while sponsor is waiting for the spouse sponsorship application process?. I am also thankful if anyone can tell me where to contact for the detailed information about this. Thank you very much.
Hi I think you have to pay international student fee before you get PR and don't think you can use government grant either.

But the knowledgable member will tell you more.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
Cathy645 said:
Hi I think you have to pay international student fee before you get PR and don't think you can use government grant either.

But the knowledgable member will tell you more.
i think the original poster is the SPONSOR, meaning they are either a PR or citizen of Canada. If so, then there's no issue at all with applying for government grants for schools while applying for pr. CIC does not care about borrowing/credit habits of a sponsor or applicant. what they are concerned about is whether the sponsor has applied for bankruptcy or used social welfare. Government grants for school is NOT welfare. It is not any of CIC's concern, and will not negatively affect the sponsorship application. My guess is they probably will never know, or care to know.

Cathy645

Star Member
Jul 4, 2013
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Beijing
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-06-2014
AOR Received.
01-08-2014
File Transfer...
01-08-2014. (AOR2. 26-09-2014)
Med's Request
14-10-2014
Med's Done....
19-10-2014 (Received by VO 02-11-2014)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14-10-2014 (Decision made 07-11-2014)
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2014 (received COPR 13-11-2014)
LANDED..........
15-11-2014 (landed at border in Osoyoos)
rhcohen2014 said:
i think the original poster is the SPONSOR, meaning they are either a PR or citizen of Canada. If so, then there's no issue at all with applying for government grants for schools while applying for pr. CIC does not care about borrowing/credit habits of a sponsor or applicant. what they are concerned about is whether the sponsor has applied for bankruptcy or used social welfare. Government grants for school is NOT welfare. It is not any of CIC's concern, and will not negatively affect the sponsorship application. My guess is they probably will never know, or care to know.
Oh ok. I thought she or he was asking to get sponsored person a government grant.

Then I agree with you rhcohen.

Thank you

mail2bista

Star Member
Mar 17, 2013
toronto
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16 Sept'014
AOR Received.
16 Nov'014 (new delhi)
File Transfer...
3 Nov'014
Med's Done....
15 Aug'014
Passport Req..
30 April 2015
VISA ISSUED...
soon
LANDED..........
soon
rhcohen2014 said:
Ok let me clear the confusion. I got a pr a year ago under fsw category as a single status. Now I got married and m living in toronto. So I have recently, on 16 sept 2014, submitted spouse sponsorship application to cic but heard nothing yet from them. My wife is living in home country. I guess it takes about a year to complete our spousal sponsorship application. So within this period I want to do any a year diploma course. So my concern here is can I use osap fund to study while waiting for our applicaton process to be completed. I am asking this matter bcoz I have read in guideline that I, as a sponsor should not use social welfare fund to be eligible to sponsor my spouse. Bcoz osap fund Includes the gov grant as well.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
mail2bista said:
Ok let me clear the confusion. I got a pr a year ago under fsw category as a single status. Now I got married and m living in toronto. So I have recently, on 16 sept 2014, submitted spouse sponsorship application to cic but heard nothing yet from them. My wife is living in home country. I guess it takes about a year to complete our spousal sponsorship application. So within this period I want to do any a year diploma course. So my concern here is can I use osap fund to study while waiting for our applicaton process to be completed. I am asking this matter bcoz I have read in guideline that I, as a sponsor should not use social welfare fund to be eligible to sponsor my spouse. Bcoz osap fund Includes the gov grant as well.
again, federal or student grants are NOT welfare. therefore you can apply for any sort of financial aid you need for school. cic will not care about financial aid, even if it's given by the government. you are not applying for welfare, you are applying for school funding. WELFARE is when a person asks the government to give them money for basic living expenses like food and housing. Government grants for school are NOT welfare!!!!! they are not one in the same, nor does the money come from the same agency. again, there is nothing wrong with doing this, and your application will not be affected by this. cic will not care.