+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need help - changing passport before applying for immigration

mija

Feb 23, 2015
Dear all,

I have recently entered into a marriage with a Canadian Citizen and we are in the process of submitting family sponsorship. I currently have valid passport from my country in Europe but in my marriage certificate states that i am changing my surname to my husbands. My question is do i need to change my current passport (which is valid till 2019) before applying for citizenship or can i apply with current one (with my family surname)?

Does anyone have experience on this matter?

Thank you in advance

Best
M.J.

zaks

Feb 23, 2015
I think its better to change your surname in your passport as that has been stated in your marriage certificate. :)

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
mija said:
Dear all,

I have recently entered into a marriage with a Canadian Citizen and we are in the process of submitting family sponsorship. I currently have valid passport from my country in Europe but in my marriage certificate states that i am changing my surname to my husbands. My question is do i need to change my current passport (which is valid till 2019) before applying for citizenship or can i apply with current one (with my family surname)?

Does anyone have experience on this matter?

Thank you in advance

Best
M.J.
You don't have to change the name on your passport, however all of your documents such as your COPR and your PR card will be issued using the name on your passport. If you want those documents to reflect your married name then change your passport before applying for PR.