+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need FBI clearance for outland application?

cloudycanada

Oct 2, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Visa Office......
Taipei (Spousal)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-09-2009
Doc's Request.
08-01-2010
AOR Received.
15-10-2009
Passport Req..
07-04-2010
Finally some (any) progress from the Taipei office today via email
- Please submit the copy of Marriage certificate Canada and/or as copy of Household registration showing registration of marriage in Taiwan -Give 30 days
- Please submit FBI certificate- Give 60 days
- Please submit amended Schedule 1 showing activity/personal history from July 2002 to April 2004-Give 30 days.
1 and 3 are no problem (btw, how do I submit to Taipei office? email/fax/mail?)

However I wonder why my wife needs FBI certificate?
She did study 1 year in LA (2006.08~2007.08) for her master, and would that be the reason?
That would suck because now she's in Taiwan since 2007 and not in US anymore. She did provide Taiwan police certificate

Even if I do have to request it, is this the procedure she follows?
I google'ed and found this "FBI Identification Record Request" (forum won't let me post the link here)
<- is this the link? she has to get fingerprint card in Taiwan?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The FBI clearance is needed because she spent more than 6 months in the US after her 18th birthday. They want to know that she does not have a record from there. She will have to get fingerprints done where she is and mail them to the FBI. They will mail her the clearance and she can then mail it or courier it to the visa office.

I had to do the same thing when I applied. It took about a month to get the clearance from the FBI.

corpus

Dec 24, 2008
cloudycanada
Did you submit police clearance with your orignal application. I assume it was only for your spouce home country and not US thats why they are asking it now. Didn't they ask for it in mississaga processing since you would have mentioned that your spouce stayed in US for about year?
What kind of police clearance they ahve asked for US the state police clearance or FBI clearance or both. I see threads here where people mention for US you need to submit state police clearance too and some say only FBI clearance.
I am planning to apply for my wife too next month once i go back to canada (currently in US). My wife has also been in US for more then 6 months now so when i apply i will need her police clearance too. I have applied for FBI clearance last week and it can take 2-3 months as per there website so i am not sure weather to submit the file and say that i will send the FBI clearance when i get it or wait until i get it.

cloudycanada

Oct 2, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Visa Office......
Taipei (Spousal)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-09-2009
Doc's Request.
08-01-2010
AOR Received.
15-10-2009
Passport Req..
07-04-2010
My wife's applying in Taiwan

I did submit Taiwan police clearance with my application
I didn't submit FBI certificate (didn't know she needs one, so my bad there), but CIC Mississauga approved me

Taipei office only asked for FBI certificate (see quoted email), so I assume no State one is needed
Now I just need to get my wife to courier request to FBI US ASAP and hope for the best (since there's a 60 days deadline)

This 6 months rule is annoying

tgchi13

Nov 25, 2009
Ontario Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
NY via Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 08
File Transfer...
05 August 08
Med's Request
April 08
Med's Done....
June 08
Interview........
12 Nov 09
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
refused Nov 09
cloudycanada said:
My wife's applying in Taiwan

I did submit Taiwan police clearance with my application
I didn't submit FBI certificate (didn't know she needs one, so my bad there), but CIC Mississauga approved me

Taipei office only asked for FBI certificate (see quoted email), so I assume no State one is needed
Now I just need to get my wife to courier request to FBI US ASAP and hope for the best (since there's a 60 days deadline)

This 6 months rule is annoying
I find the six month rule silly - you could be 'just passing through' and commit an offence!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tgchi13 said:
I find the six month rule silly - you could be 'just passing through' and commit an offence!
If they requested police records for every country you'd ever been to since age 18, for many people that would mean about 30 police records. Besides, there's also a chance you committed a crime while passing through or living somewhere and didn't get caught. They have to draw the line somewhere.