+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need Advice

nhillary

May 21, 2023
Last year, my family and I relocated to Canada. Upon moving, my spouse received an offer to study nursing at Georgian College in Ontario. Before she could start, however, I secured a position as an IT Auditor in Calgary, Alberta.

We arrived in Alberta in October 2023 but planned to move to Ontario in January 2024 for my spouse's program (Nursing Diploma). In January, we flew to Ontario. Due to the partial remote work nature of my job, I was able to move with my family to support them.

While in Alberta, we applied to an Alberta college (Lethbridge College), hoping my spouse could transfer her program there. We succeeded in getting admission and have already paid the tuition deposit.

The dilemma we're facing now is deciding if moving back to Alberta aligns with our goals for a good life and obtaining permanent residency (PR), especially considering my job is there. However, my spouse is apprehensive about starting over in the program, which also lasts two years.

I'm in need of guidance to make a well-informed and unbiased decision.

Chasechs

Sep 11, 2019
The truth is, you are going to have to pick one province and stick with it. For PR applications, its best to stick to the province you are working and studying in. So far, Alberta checks all the boxes. The only negative reason I am hearing is your spouse doesn't want to transfer credits and potentially start the program over. Well it's only 1 semester so far, so it is not the end of the world. Look at it this way (example), if you both moved to Alberta full time in June 2024, you would be eligible for Alberta PNP based on your job. We all have to do what we must to secure PR, tell your spouse to suck it up. She could get PR in Alberta long before she completes the 2 year program.