+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Name Correction - Application Process plz.

GeorgeJoseph

Jul 22, 2009

Good Morning !!

I am a Permanent Resident (PR) of Canada. I did finish my landing process in 2010 and now living permanently in Canada. As soon as I received my COPR (Confirmation of Permanent Residence) document, I noticed that part of my last name has been chopped and appended with my first name. During my landing process, I did ask the officer regarding this and I was told that it would be due to the reason that the computer may not accept more than certain number of characters in the last name and so was chopped & appended to the first name. Both my COPR & PR Card has got this error. But, recently learnt from my friend that he has got a lengthier last name than mine and he has got it correctly specified in both his COPR and the PR card. So, I would like to get my name corrected in both COPR & PR Card. Kindly advise me with the appropriate channel/ application that I need to pick up, for correcting my name both in my COPR and PR Card. Thank You so much. Anxiously waiting for your response.

Please note that, this is NOT a change of name and it is just a correction of name. As I was on and off in canada since 2010, i would be eligible for the canadian citizenship only in 2017.

Thank you.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
GeorgeJoseph said:

Good Morning !!

I am a Permanent Resident (PR) of Canada. I did finish my landing process in 2010 and now living permanently in Canada. As soon as I received my COPR (Confirmation of Permanent Residence) document, I noticed that part of my last name has been chopped and appended with my first name. During my landing process, I did ask the officer regarding this and I was told that it would be due to the reason that the computer may not accept more than certain number of characters in the last name and so was chopped & appended to the first name. Both my COPR & PR Card has got this error. But, recently learnt from my friend that he has got a lengthier last name than mine and he has got it correctly specified in both his COPR and the PR card. So, I would like to get my name corrected in both COPR & PR Card. Kindly advise me with the appropriate channel/ application that I need to pick up, for correcting my name both in my COPR and PR Card. Thank You so much. Anxiously waiting for your response.

Please note that, this is NOT a change of name and it is just a correction of name. As I was on and off in canada since 2010, i would be eligible for the canadian citizenship only in 2017.

Thank you.
Here is a helpful link:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=563&top=12

I suppose your friend's PR card was reissued on or after 21st November, 2015

Here is the link for reissuing PR card which states about shortening the name:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5530Eguide.asp