+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

name change issues application citizenship

adrianamezei

Aug 22, 2012
Hi Everyone,

I have a question regarding the documents I need to submit if my name is different that the one on The Landing Document.

My maiden name shows on my Landing document. After marraige I assumed my husband last name, I've never legally changed my name, though. I do not have a proof of legally changed name. All my identity documents (PR card, driver's licence, health card) show the married name. I would like my citizenship to show my married name too.

On the governmet's website says that the name on the citizenship card will match the name on the immigration document. Immigration documents are constidered The Landing document (wich shows my maiden name) and PR card (which shows my married name). Both this documents have to be included.

Is it ok to just write the married name as it shows on one of the immigration documents? (PR card) And maybe include a certified copy of the marriage certificate?

Thank you,
Adriana

rita.p

Aug 20, 2012
I had the same situation and i wrote my maiden name. later on, they sent me a letter asking which last name i would like to use. But you can always call them and ask what would be the best way to approach this situation :D

adrianamezei

Aug 22, 2012
Hi Rita,

Thank you for your message. The only issue is that I cannot reach those people, were you able to ever talk to them? And of course I do not want to go through one of those companies like ''immigroup'' to pay almost $500. Anyways, I think I ll try to reach them, and if I cannot I ll just have my married name and attach certified copies of my marriage certificate, and all identity documents. If they need more info the will probably call me just like in your case.

Thanks again,
Adriana

nwtspam

Star Member
Apr 20, 2012
Why people always want to make everything so complicated?

You write down the name you want to be shown on the citizenship certificate. Your PR ID has your married name on it? Why are you playing those wordings to against your very own wish?

CIC understands this situation. After all, your application is very likely to be processed by one of their female officers!

-
From a male applicant who received oath letter last week and have different first AND last name on PR card/landing paper.