+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Name change confusion with re to Citizenship application

jamclick

Feb 26, 2017
Hi,

My wife changed her name after our marriage (before we became Canadian PR). Our PR cards and my wife's newer passports are all in her new name. Does this qualify as a name change for the citizenship application or does the application ask to provide proof of name change only if it happened recently?

Thanks!

zelen

Jun 20, 2013
Hi jamclick,

I have the same situation here. Could you please share how you solved this.

Thanks in advance.

niagara2807

Apr 23, 2017
Hi,

My wife changed her name after our marriage (before we became Canadian PR). Our PR cards and my wife's newer passports are all in her new name. Does this qualify as a name change for the citizenship application or does the application ask to provide proof of name change only if it happened recently?

Thanks!
Yes it does qualify as name change.

tala101

Star Member
Jul 4, 2015
Hi. I applied for citizenship last July, recently wrote my test and did tye interview this January. I used my PR card and passport with my Maiden name when I applied for citizenship. My driver’s licence and health card has my new last name (hypenated). I included my marriage certificate from my home country (which I also used to update my last name on my driver’s licence and health card) in the application. I did not have any issues during the interview. The officer just asked which one I am using and that’s it.

Although, It is important to note that I am still waiting for the oath letter and my application is not yet finalized. Maybe other forum members with previous experience re this matter can share how their application went.

Edit:
Oh sorry, I did not answer the OP’s question

Last edited:

zelen

Jun 20, 2013
Hi. I applied for citizenship last July, recently wrote my test and did tye interview this January. I used my PR card and passport with my Maiden name when I applied for citizenship. My driver’s licence and health card has my new last name (hypenated). I included my marriage certificate from my home country (which I also used to update my last name on my driver’s licence and health card) in the application. I did not have any issues during the interview. The officer just asked which one I am using and that’s it.

Although, It is important to note that I am still waiting for the oath letter and my application is not yet finalized. Maybe other forum members with previous experience re this matter can share how their application went.

Edit:
Oh sorry, I did not answer the OP’s question
Thank you very much!