Name change, citizenship

v2014

Dec 24, 2014
App. Filed.......
29/12/2014
Nomination.....
PER: 26/3/2015
Hi,
My name in my original country had a spelling mistake, so when cic asked for my passport to issue the immigration visa, I asked them if i can correct the error in my name in my original country passport before i submit it for visa stamping, and they said yes. So, I did that. And they gave me the immigration visa on my new passport that has the corrected spelling of my name.
Now i want to apply for citizenship, and was wondering if i have to mention that change in my name on the application ? Is this condsidered as a legal name change ?

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hi,
My name in my original country had a spelling mistake, so when cic asked for my passport to issue the immigration visa, I asked them if i can correct the error in my name in my original country passport before i submit it for visa stamping, and they said yes. So, I did that. And they gave me the immigration visa on my new passport that has the corrected spelling of my name.
Now i want to apply for citizenship, and was wondering if i have to mention that change in my name on the application ? Is this condsidered as a legal name change ?
You will be using your name as it is on your Canadian immigration documents (PR card / COPR). You can add a letter of explanation if see the need that explains that the spelling difference on your country's passport and the Canadian immigration documents is because the spelling was incorrect in your passport and IRCC corrected it when you applied for PR.

Reactions: v2014

wink

May 25, 2021
I think you should get a new passport (from original country) with the corrected spelling to avoid future complications.

Last edited:

v2014

Dec 24, 2014
App. Filed.......
29/12/2014
Nomination.....
You will be using your name as it is on your Canadian immigration documents (PR card / COPR). You can add a letter of explanation if see the need that explains that the spelling difference on your country's passport and the Canadian immigration documents is because the spelling was incorrect in your passport and IRCC corrected it when you applied for PR.
Thanks a lot for your reply.
My current country's passport has the correct spelling as on the PR.
I asked the IRCc to correct it before they issued my immigration visa. So i got my immigration visa, Landing paper, PR with the correct name.
However, there is a question on the citizenship application asking if I have ever in my life legally changed my name.
I was wonderful if correcting the spelling mistake is considered a legal name chage that should be mentioned on the citizenship application?

v2014

Dec 24, 2014
App. Filed.......
29/12/2014
Nomination.....
I think you should get a new passport (from original country) with the corrected spelling to avoid future complications.
I asked the IRCc to correct it before they issued my immigration visa. So i got my immigration visa, Landing paper, PR with the correct name.
However, there is a question on the citizenship application asking if I have ever in my life legally changed my name.
I was wonderful if correcting the spelling mistake is considered a legal name chage that should be mentioned on the citizenship application?

wink

May 25, 2021
Okay, got it. I don't think it would be considered name change. But I am not sure.