+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Name change before or after?

del16

Jul 2, 2014
Hi guys,
Hope someone can help me.
Here is the situation:
I got married and assumed my husband last name ( on drivers license,Health card, credit card). I never changed it legally. I never changed my USA passport for my new married name, and got my PR card in my old name (as in my passport)

Now it’s time for my to apply for citizenship and I was wondering if it’s better/easier to legally change my name before applying for citizenship or after i become a citizen?

Any input is greatly appreciated!

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
If you're married, you typically do not need to "legally" change names. If you want your citizenship documents to reflect your husband's last name, then you do need to go through the formalities of changing names, I believe.

Given the amount of time it can take to re-issue PR cards under a new name, just a question - is it very important to you to have the citizenship documents reflect your husband's last name, or is it a nice-to-have that can be done later?

del16

Jul 2, 2014
If you're married, you typically do not need to "legally" change names. If you want your citizenship documents to reflect your husband's last name, then you do need to go through the formalities of changing names, I believe.

Given the amount of time it can take to re-issue PR cards under a new name, just a question - is it very important to you to have the citizenship documents reflect your husband's last name, or is it a nice-to-have that can be done later?
Thank you for your reply. It would be nice to have it but it can be done later. I was just wondering if it’s easier to get citizenship documents on a married name vs change them later.
An if I choose to change my name legally before applying for citizenship, do I HAVE to change PR card?

yanesrahn

Oct 7, 2008
ontario
Visa Office......
Buffalo
App. Filed.......
12-01-12
Nomination.....
28-11-11
AOR Received.
15-02-12
Med's Request
15-02-12
Med's Done....
21-02-12
Passport Req..
08-05-2013 received 10-05-20113
Thank you for your reply. It would be nice to have it but it can be done later. I was just wondering if it’s easier to get citizenship documents on a married name vs change them later.
An if I choose to change my name legally before applying for citizenship, do I HAVE to change PR card?
G you choose to legally change your name, I would recommend change your PR card, because in that way your name will be changed in the immigration system so you wouldn't have any problem when you apply for your citizenship.