+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Name change before Citizenship application.

Van9

Jan 11, 2014
Hi,

I'm a landed PR and I want to have my legal name changed in BC before I apply for the Canadian citizenship 3 years from now.

However, I have the following concerns:

1) Will that legal name change complicates my citizenship application in any possible way?

2) I'm not planning to leave Canada at all during that period, so I assume I don't have to change my name on the PR card.

3) Do I have to change my name on my home country passport, since a copy of the passport is required with the Canadian citizen application?

My biggest concern is point#3, since I have no way to change my passport name to the new one without visiting my home country which is impossible for me due to political reasons.

Thanking you in advance.

Van9,

Van9

Jan 11, 2014
Thanks FL1040, I'm aware of that website, however, it does not answer my concerns......

jniham

Apr 14, 2013
When I received my PR, I asked the immigration officer if I can have my name changed on my PR card because I had gotten married. The officer advised me that for immigration processing, the name that I will go by in their files would be the name on the passport that I submitted when I applied for PR. And that if I wanted a name change, it would have to be done when I submitted my application for citizenship -- which is what I did.

The PR card was the only ID that I had which pretty much had my maiden name. All other IDs like driver's licence and health card I was able to use my married name, this includes my passport. I just made sure I had supporting documents with me whenever I applied for those IDs.

I know this might not be the same situation for you but the name change with immigration will probably have to happen when you apply for citizenship. And make sure that you have the same name for all of the IDs where you had your name changed. Mine slightly got messed up because I have a second name aside from my middle name.

Hope this helped.

FL1040

Dec 30, 2013
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Van9 said:
Hi,

I'm a landed PR and I want to have my legal name changed in BC before I apply for the Canadian citizenship 3 years from now.

3) Do I have to change my name on my home country passport, since a copy of the passport is required with the Canadian citizen application?

Van9,

I assume so, here in Quebec you can change your name only if you are Canadian citizen, which you are not...so either you change your name in your country of origin, or you wait AFTER you become Canadian and start the process to change your name for Canadian documents

sept15

Champion Member
Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Van9 said:
Hi,

However, I have the following concerns:

1) Will that legal name change complicates my citizenship application in any possible way?

2) I'm not planning to leave Canada at all during that period, so I assume I don't have to change my name on the PR card.

My biggest concern is point#3, since I have no way to change my passport name to the new one without visiting my home country which is impossible for me due to political reasons.

Thanking you in advance.

Van9,
Hi there,

You can change your name 'now' or you can do it just before you apply for your citizenship, it does not matter. In any case , if you want your name to be different than what CIC has, you have to do a legal name change through your Province, which takes on an average 1-2 months based on your Province. So, if you do shane your name now, you can change your name on your PR card as well. I did a legal name change for myself and my spouse, changed the names on our PR cards, updated names on my drivers', SIN, health, credit bureau etc... I would recommend that you change your name now, since it does takes some time... you do not necessarily change your name on PR, passport etc... what matters is:

Your previous name has been changed to a new name... and cic has your previous name... You need the Certificate of Name Change with your application (Citizenship).

sept15

Champion Member
Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sept15 said:
Hi there,

You can change your name 'now' or you can do it just before you apply for your citizenship, it does not matter. In any case , if you want your name to be different than what CIC has, you have to do a legal name change through your Province, which takes on an average 1-2 months based on your Province. So, if you do shane your name now, you can change your name on your PR card as well. I did a legal name change for myself and my spouse, changed the names on our PR cards, updated names on my drivers', SIN, health, credit bureau etc... I would recommend that you change your name now, since it does takes some time... you do not necessarily change your name on PR, passport etc... what matters is:

Your previous name has been changed to a new name... and cic has your previous name... You need the Certificate of Name Change with your application (Citizenship).
there is a question in the application form that kinda says: what name do you want on your citizenship certificate... previous names used etc... so you are safe, make sure that your date of birth is on the certificate... this does not complicate your application...

you need to go to your country to change your name - what country are you from? referring to?

Van9

Jan 11, 2014
sept15 said:
Hi there,

:)That what I thought, if I have the "Certificate of Name Change" then it does not matter if I still have my old name on my home country passport when I submit my citizenship application.

Van9

Jan 11, 2014
sept15 said:
you need to go to your country to change your name - what country are you from? referring to?
I don't think that is accurate !!!

As long as I have the "Canadian Name Change Certificate", why would the Canadian government bother with which name was on my home country passport!

Beside, I have a political issue with my home country, that is why I immigrated to Canada.....

ScubaC

Jun 21, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Van,

I am in a similar situation with you. I have had a name change and all my IDs are in my new name except my PR card and COPR. I did my name change before I applied for PR (I was a convention refugee) and I applied for PR with my new name, however, CIC did not put my new name on the PR card and COPR they used the old one since it is the one in my passport. They said I could apply for a change to the PR card, but since I am going for citizenship I decided to not go through the headache of changing the PR card and just do it when I am applying for citizenship.

Since I cannot contact my home country (refugee situation) I cannot change my original passport (I don't think they would change it for me anyways).

I think you should just have your name change now, change all your ID, OHIP etc (if you are in Ontario) and wait until citizenship.

Does this answer your questions?

Van9

Jan 11, 2014
ScubaC said:
Hi Van,

I am in a similar situation with you. I have had a name change and all my IDs are in my new name except my PR card and COPR. I did my name change before I applied for PR (I was a convention refugee) and I applied for PR with my new name, however, CIC did not put my new name on the PR card and COPR they used the old one since it is the one in my passport. They said I could apply for a change to the PR card, but since I am going for citizenship I decided to not go through the headache of changing the PR card and just do it when I am applying for citizenship.

Since I cannot contact my home country (refugee situation) I cannot change my original passport (I don't think they would change it for me anyways).

I think you should just have your name change now, change all your ID, OHIP etc (if you are in Ontario) and wait until citizenship.

Does this answer your questions?
Thank you very much "ScubaC", a perfect answer :).

MiriamT

May 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
São Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
04-03-2009
File Transfer...
09-03-2009
Med's Done....
28-10-2008
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-2009
LANDED..........
27-11-2009
Hello,

I've gotten a legal name change and am applying for a renewal of PR Card (CIC received the application on May 6th). However: the name on my passport is still the same from when I landed (in my birth country there is no legal name change except for in extreme cases, which is not my case), and some services like the MSP haven't updated my name because my employer has to do so (since I'm under a group plan), and they haven't.

Which name should I include: the new name since I requested CIC to change it (in my PR Card renewal application), or the name on my current (yet expired) PR Card which is also the name on my foreign passport? I'm assuming it'll be the latter, but am not sure.

Thanks.

eltorpe

Star Member
Jan 6, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MiriamT said:
Hello,

I've gotten a legal name change and am applying for a renewal of PR Card (CIC received the application on May 6th). However: the name on my passport is still the same from when I landed (in my birth country there is no legal name change except for in extreme cases, which is not my case), and some services like the MSP haven't updated my name because my employer has to do so (since I'm under a group plan), and they haven't.

Which name should I include: the new name since I requested CIC to change it (in my PR Card renewal application), or the name on my current (yet expired) PR Card which is also the name on my foreign passport? I'm assuming it'll be the latter, but am not sure.

Thanks.
For section 3A) "Name (exactly as it is shown on my immigration document)", since you have not received your new PR card in the new name, you should use the name that's on the PR card that is in your possession.

For section 3B), you should check "Legal name change" and indicate your new name. Send a copy of your change-of-name certificate with your application.

MiriamT

May 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
São Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
04-03-2009
File Transfer...
09-03-2009
Med's Done....
28-10-2008
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-2009
LANDED..........
27-11-2009
eltorpe said:
For section 3A) "Name (exactly as it is shown on my immigration document)", since you have not received your new PR card in the new name, you should use the name that's on the PR card that is in your possession.

For section 3B), you should check "Legal name change" and indicate your new name. Send a copy of your change-of-name certificate with your application.
Thank you.