+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NAME CHANGE AFTER COPR OR PR CARD -INLAND- SENIORS PLEASE?

MaxLet

May 28, 2013
Prevost, Qc
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville (Now Montreal)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-03-2013
Doc's Request.
CIC ask for MICC: 14-03-13
Nomination.....
CSQ: 09-05-2013
AOR Received.
14-03-2013
Med's Request
07-01-14
Med's Done....
09-01-14
Interview........
WAIVED!+AIP 07-01-14
Passport Req..
DM: 28-02-14
LANDED..........
15-05-2014
Hi guys,
Im waiting for my landing date from Montreal office. I just got an email from them asking if i want to land in my maiden name or my married name. If I wanna land in my married name, I have to change my passport, and they will hold my landing date till I do it. Otherwise, I must land in my maiden name.

I would like to know if any of you knows if I can add my married name AFTER landing. (in the meantime between COPR and PR card) or after getting my PR card...?

Im totally lost here... an agent from CIC telecenter told me that if I wait to land in my maiden name and change my passport after, i will have to change my name in my provincial health card before applying for a change in my PR card.. which makes it even more confusing cuz quebec is the only province that does not take married name...

:( help please!!!

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
MaxLet said:
Hi guys,
Im waiting for my landing date from Montreal office. I just got an email from them asking if i want to land in my maiden name or my married name. If I wanna land in my married name, I have to change my passport, and they will hold my landing date till I do it. Otherwise, I must land in my maiden name.

I would like to know if any of you knows if I can add my married name AFTER landing. (in the meantime between COPR and PR card) or after getting my PR card...?

Im totally lost here... an agent from CIC telecenter told me that if I wait to land in my maiden name and change my passport after, i will have to change my name in my provincial health card before applying for a change in my PR card.. which makes it even more confusing cuz quebec is the only province that does not take married name...

:( help please!!!
Don't think you can change your COPR after but you can change your PR card. Your COPR is like having a birth certificate in Canada. Your PR card can be change as I am sure there are lots of single or divorced PRs that gotten married or remarried since landing in Canada. They should be able to change their PR card to reflect this situation. Here is the link.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=721&t=4

Screech339

QuebecOkie

Champion Member
Sep 23, 2012
Very French Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-10-2012
AOR Received.
28-01-2013
Med's Done....
10-04-2013
Passport Req..
AIP 30-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 30-08-2013
LANDED..........
10-10-2013
If I were in your position, I would change my name now and wait on landing. (Easier to say than to do, I know!) I never had time to change my passport (married in April 2012, traveled to Canad in May 2012 to buy a home, moved in July 2012), so it was the only piece of identification that still had my maiden name. So my COPR and my PR card now list only my maiden name. That means I recently had to travel under my maiden name. Not a super big deal, but I made the decision to take my husband's name, and that's how I think of myself, that's my REAL name.

It's even more complicated in Québec. I got a very nice representative at the SAAQ when I exchanged my license, so I have both my maiden and married last names on my driver's license, but my carte de soleil (health card) lists only my maiden name.

I just now started the process (actually sent my passport off yesterday; we had March travel booked under my maiden name since August of last year, so I couldn't start the process until now) to finish changing my name to my married name. I still won't be able to get a health card in my married name here, but at least, in a few months, my passport and PR card will list my REAL name.