+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My winding road of immigration to Canada, still under my feet...

Chen Yiyang

Mar 8, 2023
I submitted my federal immigration application in the category of Quebec Skilled Worker in Nov. 2016. The HK office took over my immigration application since 2017. They answered to my enquiry in 2018 saying the background check is underway, and afterward I started a difficult 6-year immigration journey. I was requested to update the medical examination in 2017, 2020 and 2022, and to update the police certificates from China in 2017, 2020. In 2020 I included my wife into my application for accompaniment. In Nov. 2022 I was again requested to submit the police certificate both from China and Canada, plus an updated personal history after the age of 18. My immigration road seems endless. For example, the CIC website in 2017 showed that my application status was already 100% complete. However, I received additional requests in 2018 to provide transcripts and professor information during the undergraduate and postgraduate periods in China. In mid January 2023, IRCC required another CV from me again, and asked me with certitude to provide my military record because they spotted my postgraduate major (Cryptography) in Shanghai Jiaotong University had been classified into military science category. In return, I had to submit a solemn declaration to IRCC stating that I have not joined any party or entered into any form of military service after the age of 18.

Finally, IRCC Hongkong gave up. In February 9 2023, IRCC Hongkong asked me to submit my travel documents in preparation for the issuance of a Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR).

However, a tragedy just hit me. My wife and I do not work in the same city. In 2022 Shanghai's strict lockdown, we could not see each other for a long time, resulting in our mutual emotional indifference. Also, the long delay in the processing of my immigration application confused and disappointed my wife. She worries that we might encounter new difficulties and become helpless after going to Canada. So, she does not want to go to Canada anymore. But I long for a life of freedom and remain steadfast in my desire to immigrate to Canada. My wife made a proposal to me to divorce during the Chinese Spring Festival. Thus, we could only choose to start the separation and then go to divorce.

As soon as I received the letter from IRCC Hongkong for travel documents submission, I reported my marital status to IRCC and requested that my wife's application for accompaniment be revoked. On February 22, I received another email from IRCC Hongkong. In addition to updating General Application Form for Canada and Family Information Form, I was required to submit a divorce certificate and a new medical examination report within one month. But it takes time for my wife and I to divorce. First, our divorcement involves negotiation to settle a lot of financial problems. Second, my wife has been busy at work, she may be not available to come to the marriage registration center in Shanghai before 23 March. Moreover, according to the new marriage law in China, we may obtain a certificate of filing the divorce application at the day we start the process, but it will take another month of cooling-off period before we get the official divorce certificate. This certificate must also be notarized at a notary office to be acceptable by IRCC. It all takes time. So, I admit that my wife and I plan to divorce, but we will not guarantee to divorce before 23 March, 2023. Moreover, I shall update the necessary materials for my individual application, but I am not sure if it is necessary for me to take the fifth medical examination (the last medical examination was completed on June 13, 2022). I will provide my divorce certificate to IRCC within a few months, but I hope IRCC will not delay the processing of my individual application again just because my marital status will change in the near future.

Frankly speaking, I am exhausted by the long waiting and the repeated updating of materials in the processing of my permanent residence application. I also have an ongoing bank account issue in Canada. My bank funds were frozen after a long period of inactivity, and my bank account password was lost after online bank software update. I have to go to Canada as soon as possible to solve these problems myself. I cannot help feel sorry for my encounters, so I share my story to let you hear. I think there must be others who are even more unlucky than I am. Thank you for reading, and good luck to you all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Melchett and cz999

Chen Yiyang

Mar 8, 2023
I am really sorry for your experience. I hope you get your PR and move here soon.
Thank you for your kindness. Although my younger years trickles into the sea like the saint-laurent river, I still set my thoughts toward those friendly faces on the island.

Melchett

Star Member
Nov 2, 2018
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
LANDED..........
16-07-2018
My gosh, what an ordeal. I have to say I'd probably have given up several times already. Your dedication is commendable!

Reactions: Chen Yiyang

Chen Yiyang

Mar 8, 2023
My gosh, what an ordeal. I have to say I'd probably have given up several times already. Your dedication is commendable!
Thank you for your compliments. Acutually, I have never taken any exam more difficult than the medical exam required by IRCC HK. :( It may be a sad joke, but I am preparing to get a professional certificate in game development before I come to Canada, with an examination fee lower than the cost of the medical exam.