+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My visa was refused

Jowie

Sep 20, 2023
Very strange, how about a correspondence letter that shows that your biometrics are valid? Anyway the rate of refusals for us Ugandans have been high these days

Jowie

Sep 20, 2023
Why do you want to go to Canada if the event has already passed? What do you actually want?
No actually this person probably applied months back before the conference but has been given a reason for refusal after the conference has ended

Shmiler

Star Member
Oct 19, 2020
I understand that they applied before the conference was due to take place, although we don't know how long before, but by the time the decision was made then the conference/event was over.

Either way, the event is in the past, so what exactly is the OP asking? What do they actually want?

tommy_2k23

May 10, 2023
it is sad the problem was not on applicants end . i mean very strange to refuse an application on this reason alone. Best bet get refusal notes then prepare your next application.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
it is sad the problem was not on applicants end . i mean very strange to refuse an application on this reason alone. Best bet get refusal notes then prepare your next application.
I assume they got denied for many other reasons. Attending a conference is often a way people are coached to apply for a TRV when their intention is to apply for asylum or try and remain and get a job. Many have never travelled out of their country or continent, have never attended a conference in another country, their employer is not paying for their travel costs which would be highly unusual, etc. If the goal was truly to attend a conference then there would be no reason to reapply for a TRV.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth

Not really . If the individual has had no prior history of attending conferences, or presenting in them , then why would someone all of the sudden pick Canada , on the other side of the world , to attend their first one ? There’s zoom, virtual conferences, virtual meetings these days . I used to head to the States 4x a year for meetings , training . Zoom came available and do it all from an office in Canada . It saves time , and money . From past history , the IRCC is aware individuals use attending a conference as a way to get into the country & apply for asylum.
Case in point

https://globalnews.ca/news/9850906/canadian-aids-conference-guests-montreal-asylum/amp/

Reactions: foodie69

tommy_2k23

May 10, 2023
Not really . If the individual has had no prior history of attending conferences, or presenting in them , then why would someone all of the sudden pick Canada , on the other side of the world , to attend their first one ? There’s zoom, virtual conferences, virtual meetings these days . I used to head to the States 4x a year for meetings , training . Zoom came available and do it all from an office in Canada . It saves time , and money . From past history , the IRCC is aware individuals use attending a conference as a way to get into the country & apply for asylum.
Case in point

https://globalnews.ca/news/9850906/canadian-aids-conference-guests-montreal-asylum/amp/
There is always first time . Canadians could well be born in Somalia they should thanks their lucky stars.

I attended such a conference in London. Sure Zoom can be an option but interacting with real participants over lunch is a different experience. You enjoy the ambience of the conference room; you get to ask questions and make contacts with real participants.

What are the chances people who got visas will not work or apply for asylum? I mean, look at the history of americans and canadians, their ancestry goes back to european immigrants so much for making a mole out of mountain it is not like they are finiancing their trip to Canada. Infact they are spending money in their country benefiting local business owners.

It all depends on your luck and on the mood of the visa officer. There is nothing logical about getiing your visa approved. You can not paint all people with the same brush.

Reactions: stevogooner

stevogooner

Star Member
Jan 31, 2020
Kuwait
Category........
WP
Visa Office......
Nairobi
There is always first time . Canadians could well be born in Somalia they should thanks their lucky stars.

I attended such a conference in London. Sure Zoom can be an option but interacting with real participants over lunch is a different experience. You enjoy the ambience of the conference room; you get to ask questions and make contacts with real participants.

What are the chances people who got visas will not work or apply for asylum? I mean, look at the history of americans and canadians, their ancestry goes back to european immigrants so much for making a mole out of mountain it is not like they are finiancing their trip to Canada. Infact they are spending money in their country benefiting local business owners.

It all depends on your luck and on the mood of the visa officer. There is nothing logical about getiing your visa approved. You can not paint all people with the same brush.
There is a 8-10 hours time difference between Uganda and Canada, so I don't think it would be possible for one to attend the conference on zoom because when it's daytime in one country, it will we night in the other country and vice versa. Aside from that I've always thought that these conferences should be held in countries where its possible for all the attendees to get their visas in time before the conference.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth

It is what it is . You can go on and on how you feel the system is unfair , isn’t going to change it .