+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My US Visa Appointment Experience Please Help

Jon0003

Star Member
Feb 6, 2021
Thank you for your help and response. Will do that.
Heyy

I also crossed the US/Canada border illegally and wanted to visit my sister this summer.I had my interview in Ottawa but I was refused for the SAME reason. I was, however, advised to appeal the decision and wasn’t banned permanently.

I’m never going to apply for a US visa until I become a citizen, rather, I’ll try to go to Europe and have a travel history.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Heyy

I also crossed the US/Canada border illegally and wanted to visit my sister this summer.I had my interview in Ottawa but I was refused for the SAME reason. I was, however, advised to appeal the decision and wasn’t banned permanently.

I’m never going to apply for a US visa until I become a citizen, rather, I’ll try to go to Europe and have a travel history.
There seems to have been a change in policy since we are hearing about more visa refusals fir those who crossed the US border illegally. I assume that this is likely a policy decision from the US (but that Canada supports) to try to discourage illegal crossings. If people think they may no longer be able to ever enter the US that may discourage some people from crossing.

Reactions: Simba112

itzdrmac

Star Member
Feb 15, 2021
by illegaly do you guys refer to crossing through the irreular border crossing like roxham road? how about those who crossed through regular border check points and had valid third country exception??

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
by illegaly do you guys refer to crossing through the irreular border crossing like roxham road? how about those who crossed through regular border check points and had valid third country exception??
I would think there is a very high potential for refusal. You've still used a US visa to gain access to Canada to claim as a refugee.

Reactions: canuck78

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Also would assume there is still a chance if you declared you were visiting US when you entered but went to the Canadian border to claim asylum. Whether both get treated differently will be interesting. This seems to be a relatively new policy. I assume there are various new policies as the amount of asylum seekers entering the US increases and also assume Canada has also expressing it’s displeasure that the US has created a clear pathway to places like Roxham Rd while Canada is much more strict in terms of who they allow to get TRVs. We also have to see how much of a trend this is and whether there is variability depending on whether you are a protected person, PR or citizen.

WATCHTOWA

Star Member
Jun 18, 2022
If you cross from US to Canada to seek an asylum, such individual should make a reasonable sacrifice to become a Canadian Citizen before returning to the States. Receiving a permanent ban isn't worth it... Hard earned money shouldn't be channeled to fight avoidable legal immigration matters.

eliteguy

Star Member
May 13, 2022
There seems to have been a change in policy since we are hearing about more visa refusals fir those who crossed the US border illegally. I assume that this is likely a policy decision from the US (but that Canada supports) to try to discourage illegal crossings. If people think they may no longer be able to ever enter the US that may discourage some people from crossing.
There isn't a poilicy..they just couldn't prove your admissibility....I crossed illegally through roxham in 2019...I am a PR now and got 10 years USA visa on my RTD...I even got my visa 2 weeks before my PR card came

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
There isn't a poilicy..they just couldn't prove your admissibility....I crossed illegally through roxham in 2019...I am a PR now and got 10 years USA visa on my RTD...I even got my visa 2 weeks before my PR card came
When did you get the visa? We have seen an uptick in visas being denied and bans in the past 6 months.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you cross from US to Canada to seek an asylum, such individual should make a reasonable sacrifice to become a Canadian Citizen before returning to the States. Receiving a permanent ban isn't worth it... Hard earned money shouldn't be channeled to fight avoidable legal immigration matters.
We’re just talking about people trying to visit the US with B1/B2. There are lots of issues at the Canadian and US border at the moment. Many are coming to the illegally US via the Canadian side (mostly to work) and a different set of people are coming via the US to come to Canada (mostly to claim asylum). Neither country is very pleased and they are trying to limit traffic that isn’t from the legal borders. There are going to be policy changes from both countries.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I got my Visa in September 2022
You got lucky then. Never said that everyone was banned or refused but we never saw bans and the number of refusals we are seeing until this year. Both the US and Canada are trying to reduce illegal traffic at the border so there will be both formal and informal policies changes. I’m sure the US is lobbying for more stringent entry requirements for Mexican visitors to Canada who are currently visa exempt because Mexican citizens make up the largest number of illegal entries into the US from Canada.