+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My odd situation

Princescyther

Sep 20, 2011
Hello,

I'm in a bit of a pickle and would like some advice if anybody has any.

I'm a British citizen here in Canada on a work visa which expired yesterday as well as my SIN card. I've applied for an extension so at the moment im on implied status and so Ive been told from the Canadian immigration call centre that im still allowed to work in Canada unless my extension is refused. Now my problem is that to work I need an SIN but the helpful lady at the Canada services place told me I couldn't get another SIN without the proper paperwork. I called the call centre again and they told me that there was no paperwork to give me for implied status and I would have to wait for the paper work when my visa gets renewed.

Now my question here is surely there is a way to get a SIN without this paperwork I mean how does someone stay in the country if they cant work for 2 months straight (Which is what I've been told it will take to process my app).

Anyone have any ideas or am I going to have to live off my savings until I get processed?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

ThreeSquareImm

Star Member
Oct 26, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Can you not just use your previous SIN until you receive a new one? If you're with the same employer, wouldn't they just have your SIN on file?

ThreeSquareImm

Star Member
Oct 26, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You're not misrepresenting yourself. The provision of implied status was created to protect people in your situation. Sometimes the operational procedures of all the government offices don't quite sync and mesh as perfectly as they should. With proper documentation, your chances of "getting in trouble" almost zero.

Princescyther

Sep 20, 2011
Hi,

Well I do still have my paperwork for my expired visa plus copies of my new application including receipt of payment so maybe ill take my chances with that.

Thanks for your help!

lunita

Nov 14, 2012
Hi
I'm in the same situation as you, implied status and so without SIN and OHIP, but I was told from an Immigration lawyer that it is ok to continue to work if I don't change the employer. Anyways we should get the new WP or the OWP soon, and normally you have 30days to make changes to this things.
So I`m currently working and I did it last time when I renewed my WP and there was no problem.
Hopy you will get the answer soon.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
No, there is no way to renew your SIN without the new work permit. However, there is information on Service Canada's website, which allows you to continue working with an expired SIN. You can give a copy or the link to your employer:

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/sin/employers/expiry.shtml

Before extending employment for your employee

You must verify that the employee is eligible to continue working in Canada. Your employee must have applied to extend their authorization to stay and work in Canada with CIC in advance of the expiry date on their document.

If a temporary resident applies for renewal of their work or study permit and their permit expires before a decision is made, paragraph 186(u) and section 189 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulation provides them the right to continue working or studying under the same conditions, pending a determination of their application for renewal, as long as they remain in Canada. This is referred as "implied status". The temporary foreign worker will have implied status until a decision is rendered by CIC.

In this case, a SIN card bearing a new expiry date will only be issued once CIC has rendered a decision. In the interim, where "implied status" is confirmed, the expired SIN may continue to be used. To obtain a replacement SIN card with a new expiry date, the temporary foreign worker must apply and present a valid immigration document issued by CIC.

For more information about hiring or extending the work of temporary foreign workers, you may contact the CIC Call Centre at 1-888-242-2100.

Princescyther said:
Hello,

I'm in a bit of a pickle and would like some advice if anybody has any.

I'm a British citizen here in Canada on a work visa which expired yesterday as well as my SIN card. I've applied for an extension so at the moment im on implied status and so Ive been told from the Canadian immigration call centre that im still allowed to work in Canada unless my extension is refused. Now my problem is that to work I need an SIN but the helpful lady at the Canada services place told me I couldn't get another SIN without the proper paperwork. I called the call centre again and they told me that there was no paperwork to give me for implied status and I would have to wait for the paper work when my visa gets renewed.

Now my question here is surely there is a way to get a SIN without this paperwork I mean how does someone stay in the country if they cant work for 2 months straight (Which is what I've been told it will take to process my app).

Anyone have any ideas or am I going to have to live off my savings until I get processed?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
Contact your OHIP department and explain your situation. If you applied for extension before your current permit expired you have "implied status". Most provinces can extend health coverage for 90 days to accomodate such situations but they need proof that you applied - so your fee receipt for the application will do. I'm not in Ontario, but I was able to get mine extended for 90 days.
Please do come back and let us know how it goes so others may benefit. :)

lunita said:
Hi
I'm in the same situation as you, implied status and so without SIN and OHIP, but I was told from an Immigration lawyer that it is ok to continue to work if I don't change the employer. Anyways we should get the new WP or the OWP soon, and normally you have 30days to make changes to this things.
So I`m currently working and I did it last time when I renewed my WP and there was no problem.
Hopy you will get the answer soon.