+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My new life in Canada

loveucanada

Aug 12, 2010
Hello folks,

I haven't been here for a while. It's time to write and share something now.

I landed at Toronto as FSW at the end of 2010 but left two days later. I got an Ontario driver's license (temp) by exchanging with my US license and SIN when I was there. Eight weeks later I received my Maple Leaf card and the formal driver license. My friend who lives in Toroton mailed them to me as I was in my home country at that time.

My second landing was made at the end of March this year at Edmonton, AB. During the first week, I applied for the medical care from Alberta government and exchanged the Class 5 driver's license with my Ontario license. During the second week, I bought a monthly ETS pass for $86 something. Finally, I found it's not necessary to get a monthly pass if you are not a regular commuter. During the third week, I started looking for a job. But my job hunting was interrupted due to the US travel during my forth week after the landing.

Job hunting is exactly hard and needs lots of patience and confidence. My major is accounting and I was an auditor in accounting firms. I had four-years public accounting experience but didn't have in-house experience. Here, most regional accounting firms want to hire those who have local public accounting experience or have CA/CMA/CGA with at least three-years-post-designation experience, so I don't have opportunities with them. Many companies hire accountants and internal auditors, but they look at candidates who have 5 - 8 years experience. Many companies hire entry-level accountants, too, but they want them have no more than 2 years "local experience." Anyway, I suddenly found that it looks no way for me to get an accounting job, unless I go back to school and spend another a couple of years to become a CMA or CGA. As for CA, I don't know if I can get the license as I'm not sure if they count my international public accounting experience.

Alberta didn't totally shut the door to me. The active market brings me 11 interviews from April till recent. The interviewers are from the Big Four, university, and bank. The positions are external auditor, internal auditor, consultant, and financial analyst. Unfortunately, I screwed up in the seven interviews and was destroyed by seven times. Although all of my friends and relatives keep telling me that it's quite normal to fail to get a job in an interview, I become a little anxious but I never considered giving up or going back to my home country.

The nightmare of my job hunting ends up on this Monday when I got a phone call from one of "Big 4" about a job offer. Monday night, the 2nd offer was coming. And today I got another phone call for a new interview of a gov "Accountant" position.

I'm very happy that I'm still in the public accounting area and can continue my career path at Big 4. This is my first professional job in North America and I look forward to moving up in the near future.

I'm sure that many of newcomers or newcomers "to go" eagerly want to know the situation of the job market and life here. I would say it's very hard for a newcomer to get a job soon after your landing, but you will always have opportunities to get your favorite job(s) as long as you are positive and confident. For those who're from non-English speaking countries, don't panic. English is my second language, too. I couldn't speak fluently in my interviews, especially when I was nervous. One of interviewers even asked me how to overcome the communication problem, like if I miss-understand others or I was miss-understood.

Very soon I will leave Edmonton and relocate again. Edmonton is not very beautiful but cute and quiet. I feel lucky to select here as the beginning of my life, and select Canada to be my second home town.

By the way, it's really worthy to migrate to Canada.

bugsnette

Oct 20, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
15-09-2011
thanks for sharing... congrats on your new job ;)

fariza

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2010
Australia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for sharing your motivating exp in job hunting and finding success... Positive and never giving up attitude has also been suggested who did succeed earlier in Canada too. All the very best wishes for you mate

Ismael5

Feb 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
yes
AOR Received.
yes
IELTS Request
yes
File Transfer...
yes
Med's Request
Passport Req..
Dear what is (Appx.) pay/salary of beginer in Accounting field for new job

Acelawyer

Star Member
Oct 28, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 2009
Doc's Request.
May 2009
AOR Received.
June 2009
File Transfer...
April 2010 to New York
Med's Request
October 2010
Med's Done....
November 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 31st 2011
VISA ISSUED...
27 July. Decision made on July 5th 2011. Received July 8
LANDED..........
August 2011
Good and encouraging post. Congratulations on your new job!

amay

Star Member
May 20, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-Jan-2010
Doc's Request.
02-Mar-2010
AOR Received.
29-Mar-2010
Med's Request
04-Apr-2011
Med's Done....
26-Apr-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
10-Aug-2011
Congratulations, loveucanada!! Thanks for sharing your experience! And wish you all the best in future! btw, what place are you moving to? Please continue sharing your experience about that city as well.

Regards,
amay

gent2

Star Member
Jun 13, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for sharing the experience and congratulations on your job offer.

Immig

Star Member
Nov 14, 2010
Thanks for sharing your experience and please keep it up, we all who are going to land in canada definitely need such feedbacks.

newlifeincanada

Star Member
Feb 21, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Immig said:
Thanks for sharing your experience and please keep it up, we all who are going to land in canada definitely need such feedbacks.
agree, +1 for you...

loveucanada

Aug 12, 2010
Thank you!!!

http://alis.alberta.ca/occinfo/Content/RequestAction.asp?format=html&aspAction=GetHomePage&Page=Home
This is a good site about career info in Alberta. You can find the avg. salary of diff. NOC.

ready4canada

Feb 2, 2011
Category........
NOC Code......
CSQ Rec'd Dec 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Mar 2011
Med's Request
Nov 2011
Passport Req..
Nov 2011
VISA ISSUED...
Jan 2012
Congrats on your new job!!

I am also an auditor / accountant. I have CGA but no Canadian experience. Do you think that I will be able to find a job within a reasonable time, based on the market and your experience?

R4C