+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My Mumbai (India) To Montreal experience.

Canada18

Sep 11, 2017
Montreal
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Pune
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
AOR Received.
12th Oct 2017
Med's Done....
18th Sept 2017
Passport Req..
9th November 2017
VISA ISSUED...
13th November 2017
LANDED..........
4th December 2017
Hey everyone,
I am writing to share my experience in Canada so far (Mumbai (India)-Toronto - Montreal) , I landed here 3 months back on 4th December,2017. I will sum up my partners’ and my experience as one for easy understanding.
Also, follow my journey on :

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheCanadianKarma/

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/TheCanadianKarma/

I landed in Toronto initially to complete my immigration procedure. I wasn’t asked for POF or any document except my COPR and address for my PR card delivery. A lot of people overthink and worry a lot about this procedure, but trust me, it is easy and if not, the airport staff is helpful if you ASK. So don’t worry, it is an easy and quick process if you follow the rules.

You can apply for sin at the airport OR you can visit your nearby Service Canada office later, so do not panic if you did not get your SIN at the airport. Taxis are available outside and the driver will help you keep your luggage. (make sure you tip him later). We stayed in Airbnb meanwhile. Airbnb is good, I recommend you choose ‘Super hosts’ if this is your first time since super hosts are more reliable and have many good reviews. Chat with the host to ask all questions before booking an apartment. Master the art of googling! It will be useful here.
We took a Fido phone connection in a nearby mall. Don’t be shy to ask for offers.

My final destination was Montreal, so in order to reach there, we booked tickets on VIA-RAIL for train from Toronto ( Union station) to Montreal. Everything was booked online, although you have to pick up your own luggage and make sure you check luggage details on the train you book. People will help you keep your luggage in the train incase it is too heavy. The journey was of 5 hrs with a beautiful view from the large windows.

We reached Montreal hassle free, so it is possible to move to Quebec once you land in Toronto for immigration process.
Montreal: Here again we booked Airbnb prior to reaching. Since we are only two of us, no kids, we preferred staying in Downtown, Montreal even if it meant spending an extra 100 dollars in rent. (it saves travel time/cost as most jobs are in Downtown, so its a fair bargain for us) Check all these criteria’s before you settle down on a house. It is illegal in Quebec to take anything more than first months rent, again, google! Buildings with rooms available will have “for rent” boards, call or speak to someone in the buildings office and they will show you rooms if available. Do not finalize immediately even if the agent says they need an answer at the same time. Take a day at-least, look at 5-6 apartments and read the lease well before signing.
We got a studio apartment for 800 cad monthly (this includes utilities such as heating, hot water, electric stove and fridge.) We applied for wifi through Ebox, costing us 100 cad for initial modem and subscription and 40 cad monthly later. It took approx. 9 days for the connection.
For jobs: Apply for jobs on Indeed, craigslist and linked-in, My partner hassled a lot and made sure he sent out many resumes a day, applying for everything remotely close to his preference. After 20 days of doing so, he got a job via linked-in, you have to be bold, confident and outspoken. Tip : Speak SLOWLY. We realized we speak english fast compared to people here, so make sure you speak at a proper pace so the interviewer understands you better.

Jobs in Montreal usually require you to be Bilingual (fluent in both French and English), there are only English jobs too, you need to keep applying. Also it is good to learn french if in Quebec as restaurants and road signs are in french. I applied for free french full time classes via immigration Quebec. You can apply online and mail the required docs via post. For full time french course, I will receive allowance of 160 CAD on the basis of my profile. My classes began last week and I HIGHLY recommend these classes as a icebreaker to help socialize and settle in easier along with learning French! Postal services are good, easy to understand. Usually you will find post offices in Pharmaprix stores etc too.

Buy household furniture etc on sales, keep an eye on it, there are many sales that happen from time to time. Do not compromise on beds much, buy a good one. People drink water directly from the tap here, so if you are not used to this, buy a Brita filter for your tap or Brita filter jug. 5 cad and below is cheap, your food will cost 15cad average, spending 10-20cad on food is in the average category.
Apart from all the above, here are random tips from my experience so far: don’t forget to wait, breathe and soak everything in from time to time. You have come a long way so be kind to yourself AND HAVE FUN TOO. The first 6 months are the toughest, it will keep getting easy later. There are bad roads here too, there are people not happy with their government here too. Don’t let it disappoint you since ONLY you know why Canada is better for you, it is a first world country, so if you have come from a developing country like me, you will appreciate the small things here. REMEMBER TO be grateful and be friendly. Majority of them are sweet and polite, people tip 10-15% of their bill before tax. The temperatures go as low as -30 some places. Make sure you don’t get a frostbite! You will get used to the cold eventually.

Buy a small heater for your house incase the central heating isn’t enough, Invest in good winter wear and SHOES. Snow makes the roads slippery when it turns to black ice.

Buy an universal charger for your home country chargers. Buy an instant pot for easy cooking. Walk on the right side of the sidewalk, give way to others.

As I am from Mumbai, India, I can say that Montreal is very different and yet similar in so many ways. It gets stressful while you are figuring out your job and apartment, you might feel lonely or homesick, but don’t give up, it is all temporary, stay positive. There are a lot of meet up group events happening so don’t forget to attend them. One day the initial phase will pass and you will find yourself looking outside the window, roads covered with snow, smiling that you finally made it here. :)

I can’t write more here, so I have made an Instagram and Facebook account to document my journey, links above. I hope this helps! You have come a long way from IELTS to landing here, it is worth everything if you want it to be <3

farazsattar

Star Member
Jul 20, 2017
Georgia
Hey everyone,
I am writing to share my experience in Canada so far (Mumbai (India)-Toronto - Montreal) , I landed here 3 months back on 4th December,2017. I will sum up my partners’ and my experience as one for easy understanding.

I landed in Toronto initially to complete my immigration procedure. I wasn’t asked for POF or any document except my COPR and address for my PR card delivery. A lot of people overthink and worry a lot about this procedure, but trust me, it is easy and if not, the airport staff is helpful if you ASK. So don’t worry, it is an easy and quick process if you follow the rules.

You can apply for sin at the airport OR you can visit your nearby Service Canada office later, so do not panic if you did not get your SIN at the airport. Taxis are available outside and the driver will help you keep your luggage. (make sure you tip him later). We stayed in Airbnb meanwhile. Airbnb is good, I recommend you choose ‘Super hosts’ if this is your first time since super hosts are more reliable and have many good reviews. Chat with the host to ask all questions before booking an apartment. Master the art of googling! It will be useful here.
We took a Fido phone connection in a nearby mall. Don’t be shy to ask for offers.

My final destination was Montreal, so in order to reach there, we booked tickets on VIA-RAIL for train from Toronto ( Union station) to Montreal. Everything was booked online, although you have to pick up your own luggage and make sure you check luggage details on the train you book. People will help you keep your luggage in the train incase it is too heavy. The journey was of 5 hrs with a beautiful view from the large windows.

We reached Montreal hassle free, so it is possible to move to Quebec once you land in Toronto for immigration process.
Montreal: Here again we booked Airbnb prior to reaching. Since we are only two of us, no kids, we preferred staying in Downtown, Montreal even if it meant spending an extra 100 dollars in rent. (it saves travel time/cost as most jobs are in Downtown, so its a fair bargain for us) Check all these criteria’s before you settle down on a house. It is illegal in Quebec to take anything more than first months rent, again, google! Buildings with rooms available will have “for rent” boards, call or speak to someone in the buildings office and they will show you rooms if available. Do not finalize immediately even if the agent says they need an answer at the same time. Take a day at-least, look at 5-6 apartments and read the lease well before signing.
We got a studio apartment for 800 cad monthly (this includes utilities such as heating, hot water, electric stove and fridge.) We applied for wifi through Ebox, costing us 100 cad for initial modem and subscription and 40 cad monthly later. It took approx. 9 days for the connection.
For jobs: Apply for jobs on Indeed, craigslist and linked-in, My partner hassled a lot and made sure he sent out many resumes a day, applying for everything remotely close to his preference. After 20 days of doing so, he got a job via linked-in, you have to be bold, confident and outspoken. Tip : Speak SLOWLY. We realized we speak english fast compared to people here, so make sure you speak at a proper pace so the interviewer understands you better.

Jobs in Montreal usually require you to be Bilingual (fluent in both French and English), there are only English jobs too, you need to keep applying. Also it is good to learn french if in Quebec as restaurants and road signs are in french. I applied for free french full time classes via immigration Quebec. You can apply online and mail the required docs via post. For full time french course, I will receive allowance of 160 CAD on the basis of my profile. My classes began last week and I HIGHLY recommend these classes as a icebreaker to help socialize and settle in easier along with learning French! Postal services are good, easy to understand. Usually you will find post offices in Pharmaprix stores etc too.

Buy household furniture etc on sales, keep an eye on it, there are many sales that happen from time to time. Do not compromise on beds much, buy a good one. People drink water directly from the tap here, so if you are not used to this, buy a Brita filter for your tap or Brita filter jug. 5 cad and below is cheap, your food will cost 15cad average, spending 10-20cad on food is in the average category.
Apart from all the above, here are random tips from my experience so far: don’t forget to wait, breathe and soak everything in from time to time. You have come a long way so be kind to yourself AND HAVE FUN TOO. The first 6 months are the toughest, it will keep getting easy later. There are bad roads here too, there are people not happy with their government here too. Don’t let it disappoint you since ONLY you know why Canada is better for you, it is a first world country, so if you have come from a developing country like me, you will appreciate the small things here. REMEMBER TO be grateful and be friendly. Majority of them are sweet and polite, people tip 10-15% of their bill before tax. The temperatures go as low as -30 some places. Make sure you don’t get a frostbite! You will get used to the cold eventually.

Buy a small heater for your house incase the central heating isn’t enough, Invest in good winter wear and SHOES. Snow makes the roads slippery when it turns to black ice.

Buy an universal charger for your home country chargers. Buy an instant pot for easy cooking. Walk on the right side of the sidewalk, give way to others.

As I am from Mumbai, India, I can say that Montreal is very different and yet similar in so many ways. It gets stressful while you are figuring out your job and apartment, you might feel lonely or homesick, but don’t give up, it is all temporary, stay positive. There are a lot of meet up group events happening so don’t forget to attend them. One day the initial phase will pass and you will find yourself looking outside the window, roads covered with snow, smiling that you finally made it here. :)

I can’t write more here, so I have made an Instagram and Facebook account to document my journey, links above. I hope this helps! You have come a long way from IELTS to landing here, it is worth everything if you want it to be <3
Hi mauchan I m from mumbai Ghatkopar I am also trying the same

Feb 24, 2016
Hey everyone,

Very Detailed and good post. Thanks

Jan 10, 2018
Hey everyone,

Thanks so much on the update, quite heartening to read about a girl from Mumbai making it in the cold. That's the one thing everyone keeps warning me about. Been following you on Instagram, nice stuff!

Reactions: riponsheikh