+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My Mother was born in Canada - I'm a UK Citizen - Am I eligible for Citizenship

Wittsy

May 24, 2016
Hi All,

My mother was born in Canada in February 1947. She moved to the UK in 1950 and is now a UK passport holder.

Her father (my grandfather) was Canadian. He has now unfortunately passed-away.

I was born in 1970 in the UK and am a UK citizen.

Am I eligible for Canadian Citizenship ? (I have gone through the online questions, but none of them really cover my scenario)

Any advice would be very welcome - and any recommendations of someone who could process this for me if I am eligible would also be welcome - thanks !

formalboygirl

Star Member
Jun 8, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
01-04-2011
does your mom hold canadian citizenship as of now or is she a canadian?

Lux et Veritas

Star Member
Apr 25, 2015
Wittsy said:
Hi - Thanks for the reply.

She is a UK citizen now.
The fact that she was born in Canada in 1947 makes her a citizen so unless she actively renounced her citizenship she's still a citizen. This means you could be eligible for citizenship. Check out this form and go to "Scenario 3", which applies to you. if you fulfil the conditions then you're eligible.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/certif.asp

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
links18 said:
You are not eligible for citizenship, you are already a citizen.
Yes, in almost all cases, the child of a person born in Canada is a Canadian citizen.

Wittsy

May 24, 2016
Thanks to you all for your replies - DO any of you know a good representative that can complete the process for proof of citizenship and a passport etc for me please ?

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Wittsy said:
Thanks to you all for your replies - DO any of you know a good representative that can complete the process for proof of citizenship and a passport etc for me please ?
Your case isn't very complicated, so you don't really need a representative. Instructions for applying from the UK are here:

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/united_kingdom-royaume_uni/consular_services_consulaires/citizenship-citoyennete.aspx?lang=eng