+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My Mother and Sister

msheikh

Nov 15, 2009
Dear all,

I am planning to do landing next Jun 2010 with my family (my wife, daughter, and son).

Now I am sponsoring my mother and my sister in Egypt. My mother is 70 years old, and my sister 40 years old and she is divorced.

My mother is not working and my sister has a good experience in accounting.

After I immigrate no one will take care of my mother or sister.

I would like both my mother and sister to live with me in Canada.

Please note that my sister can work in Canada.

Could you please advise me what can I do? What are the requirements?

Best regards

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
After you become a PR in Canada and once you meet the financial requirements, you will be able to sponsor your mother. However, your sister does not qualify as a dependent and you will not be able to sponsor her. Her best bet may be to apply to immigrate herself as a federal skilled worker assuming she meets the criteria. You should also know that your mother must meet the criteria regarding her health so if she has any serious medical issues, you may want to speak to an immigration consultant or immigration lawyer to best assist you in your application.

msheikh

Nov 15, 2009
Thank you for your replay.

Do you know how much time in average does the process takes?
Do you know what is the financial requirements?
Can my mother -after she come to Canada- reqiests my sister to live with her? instead of myself?

Best regards

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sponsoring a parent takes a long time. Just to approve the sponsor takes right now 32 months, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/canada/process-in.asp#sponsorship

Then the file goes to Egypt and takes there on average another 13 months, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/international/08-fc-parents.asp#africa

To be able to start sponsorship of your mother, you need to prove that you make enough money to support her as well as your own family. For yourself, your wife, son, daughter, mom, 5 people, you need $45,662 per year. If you reach this income in less than a year and can prove that with pay slips, you can start sponsorship or you wait until you do your taxes and get your tax papers back. If your wife works and you want to count her income as well, she can co-sign. You will be responsible for your mother for 10 years after she gets her PR. If she goes on social assistance, you pay.

Your mother can not sponsor your sister because she is an adult, not a dependent child. Best way for your sister if she is an accountant is to apply herself as a skilled worker. She will be in Canada before your mother will.

The only way you or your mother could sponsor your sister would be if you are in a province which as a family stream program under their provincial nominee program and both of you qualify. All of them have slightly different requirements but you would have to live in that province as a PR for a year or two before you could sponsor. There might however be problems if you try to sponsor them both at the same time.

msheikh

Nov 15, 2009
Thank you very much for your detaild answer.

Could I invite them (visit visa) during first year?
what is the longest visa validaty?

Thanks again for your help .

Best regards

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can invite them but as with any visit visa, it will not be given unless immigration believes they are going to go home at the end of their visit. You can apply for a multiple entry visa for them. Then they can come and go. I've heard of people having a visa like that good for 3 years. Usually people who visit can stay no longer than 6 months. If they want to stay longer, they can apply to extend their visit status.