+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

MY LANDING EXPERIENCE

pecimob

Star Member
Aug 22, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I just thought about posting my landing experience here hoping someone might benefit from the information provided:

1. Destination: Calgary, AB

2. Arrived at Vancouver with wife (pregnant) and 2 kids. We had to wait in line for almost 2.5 hrs because there were 40 people ahead of us. Most of the people were Asians and could not speak English and needed an interpreter, hence the delay. When our number was called, the officer asked a few questions, we submitted our documents and in about 10-15 mins, we were through. We gave the officer an address to which the PR card would be sent. "Welcome to Canada" were the last words of the officer.

3. We proceeded to the check in counter only to be told that we've missed our flight to Calgary. It was now 5:30PM and we had to wait for another flight at 8:30PM. We arrived in Calgary at 11:00PM. On arrival, I realized the officer in Calgary did not ask for the list of goods accompanying document. So I went to calgary customs office at the airport and gave them my list. They attached it to a form and stamped it. I was asked to sign the paper and they gave me a copy to keep. They also mentioned that I have until 5 years to bring those goods/items duty free to Canada.

4. The next day, we went to Canada Services and registered for the SIN. On arrival, they asked for our landing documents and we were issued copies of the forms documents with the number. We were told that the cards would be mailed to our address.

5. The next step was the bank. We went in and deposited some money.

6. On day 3, we went to Alberta Health Office and were asked to present the following: landing documents and the paper from Canada Services with SIN information with our address. Upon submission, we were asked to wait and within 15 minutes, we were issued our Health Cards (all 4 of us). We were also told that coverage begins the day we arrived. In addition, we were informed that a premium of $88 for our family has to be paid by the end of December 2008. That from January 2009, premiums would no longer be necessary.

I would be happy to answer any questions anyone might have.

bobine

May 5, 2008
he
except the waiting time ( i'm realy sorry for you) i'm glad that you definetly made it.
congratulations!!!
could you provide us with specific questions that were asked so everyone of us will be
prepared even though questions may differ.

thx and again congrats.

C

cchabert

Good posting pecimob I'm planing to go to Calgary too, I have one question, you said ..."We gave the officer an address to which the PR card would be sent."...how did you know the address? is from a family member?, or a friend? in my case a just know one person who may help with the address, when I arrive I need to see where I'm going to live.

Also you answer my concern, when I arrive it will be on Toronto and I'm sure I'll miss the flight to Calgary, but looks the airline help you, I have to little girls and I'm trying to have in advance and idea of the actual day we travel.

Thank you and keep posting it really help a lot.

Good day!!

ghiaskhan

Well come to Canada. You made good effort to apprise people about importance of learning English Languge. Knowing English or French or both is quit essential for all immigrants .This will make life easier and every one will find esier to settle in a new envionament.

smiss9

Sep 18, 2008
Hi Pecimob,

Thanks for sharing your landing experience.
Can you please tell me regarding arranging accomodation before arriving as we don't have anybody with whom we can stay or give the address to the immigration guys.Is it possible to book accomodation before landing.

smiss

AP

Star Member
Jul 7, 2007
Hi Pecimob,

Congratulations!!!!It is very kind of you to post your experience. It is indeed very helpful. I would appreciate if you can answer the following. Let's say I'm done with my medicals (bot self and wife) and at a later date my wife gets pregnant before getting the PPR will it cos any issues during landing? It seems we have to inform CIC if there is a change in the status of the family.

Regards,

AP

Sami-Jo

Oct 9, 2008
Congrats, and thanks for such an informative piece. I have one question though, did you have relatives or friends in calgary and did you use their address on landing? we are hoping to immigrate to calgary but have no relatives or friends, so we just wondered how would we be able to provide an address at customs and for the SIN card?
Thanks

ghiaskhan

eamonnogorman@hotmail.co.uk <eamonnogorman@hotmail.co.uk> This is the address of a nice person who would help you get an accomodation before you land . Visit web site of various estate agents in Calgury, they will be prepared to arrange a flate/house per your needs. Use this address at your landing in Canada. An address is important , because your PR card and other important documents will be sent to you on canadian address 3 months after your arrival.

pecimob

Star Member
Aug 22, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sami-Jo said:
Congrats, and thanks for such an informative piece. I have one question though, did you have relatives or friends in calgary and did you use their address on landing? we are hoping to immigrate to calgary but have no relatives or friends, so we just wondered how would we be able to provide an address at customs and for the SIN card?
Thanks
Yes, i have a cousin in Calgary and I used his address. I gave the address to the immigration officer and i was told that the PR card would be sent to me between 4-6 weeks. I heard this same statement made to everyone ahead of me: 4-6 weeks. If you don't know anyone, then i suggest you rent a place/homestay and use your landlord's address.

pecimob

Star Member
Aug 22, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sami-Jo said:
Thanks
I had a cousin in Calgary so i used his address. If you don't know anyone, go online and search kijiiji for accommodation. OR you can google homestay in calgary and then use your landlord's address. I hope this is helpful.

alomansi

Oct 9, 2008
CAMEROON
Category........
Visa Office......
abidjan
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
september 2009
Med's Request
january 2010
Med's Done....
12th january 2010
I AM A CAMEROONIAN AND HAVE JUST GONE THROUGH YOUR VERY INTERSTING LANDING EXPERIENCE. THOUGH MY QUESTION IS NOT RELATED TO LANDING I WILL STILL ASK. I WENT THROUGH AN INTERVIEW SINCE JUNE 13TH 2008 IN YAOUNDE CAMEROON BUT UP TILL DATE I HAVE RECEIVED NO REPLY. I WANTED TO KNOW FROM YOU SINCE YOU HAVE GONE THROUGH THE PROCESS HOW LONG IT WILL TAKE FOR ME HAVE THE RESULTS. I HAVE TRIED TO CONTACT THEM BUT I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN TOLD TO BE PATIENT

REGARDS

pecimob

Star Member
Aug 22, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sami-Jo said:
Thanks
yes, i had relatives in Calgary. if you have no one, then i suggest you rent a place, possibly a homestay and you could use your landlord's address. I am not really sure how you would go about this since you are currently outside Calgary. Another suggestion would be to probably come into calgary and then later call the immigration with an address.

The reason is because the address i gave the officer on arrival in Vancouver was wrong. So upon arrival in calgary, i called the immigration office in calgary and provided them the correct address. Also i went online and made the change. two days later, the immigration called to confirm my new address.

pecimob

Star Member
Aug 22, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
alomansi said:
I AM A CAMEROONIAN AND HAVE JUST GONE THROUGH YOUR VERY INTERSTING LANDING EXPERIENCE. THOUGH MY QUESTION IS NOT RELATED TO LANDING I WILL STILL ASK. I WENT THROUGH AN INTERVIEW SINCE JUNE 13TH 2008 IN YAOUNDE CAMEROON BUT UP TILL DATE I HAVE RECEIVED NO REPLY. I WANTED TO KNOW FROM YOU SINCE YOU HAVE GONE THROUGH THE PROCESS HOW LONG IT WILL TAKE FOR ME HAVE THE RESULTS. I HAVE TRIED TO CONTACT THEM BUT I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN TOLD TO BE PATIENT

REGARDS
yes, you need to be patient. i am not sure of the process in cameroun since the situation differs from country to country. I did not apply from africa but asia. I suggest you wait and perhaps not contact them until you hear from them. The interview i believe was meant to erase some doubts they probably had about your application. if they are satisfied with your answers and there is no problem, you will hear positive news at a time of their own choosing.

pecimob

Star Member
Aug 22, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AP said:
Hi Pecimob,

Congratulations!!!!It is very kind of you to post your experience. It is indeed very helpful. I would appreciate if you can answer the following. Let's say I'm done with my medicals (bot self and wife) and at a later date my wife gets pregnant before getting the PPR will it cos any issues during landing? It seems we have to inform CIC if there is a change in the status of the family.

Regards,

AP
Well, if your wife is pregnant before PPR, you better keep the info to yourself and wait until you hear from them. I think the time line between medicals and PPR is not too long if there are no problems with your medical results. If your wife just got pregnant, then don;t worry since she has 9 months to go and you will receive the PPR before she delivers. Th eonly time you inform CIC about a chnage in your family status is when a baby is delivered.

if your wife was pregnant before medicals, then you need to inform the doctor who would state that in your results and submit it to CIC. This was my case and in fact my wife had only 2 months to go. But CIC went ahead and sent PPR and got our visa in 2 weeks.

let me know if i can answer any more of your questions.

pecimob

Star Member
Aug 22, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
smiss9 said:
Hi Pecimob,

Thanks for sharing your landing experience.
Can you please tell me regarding arranging accomodation before arriving as we don't have anybody with whom we can stay or give the address to the immigration guys.Is it possible to book accomodation before landing.

smiss
yes you can book accommodation before landing. go to www.rentboard.ca register and post an ad. you will also find several ads posted about accommodation.