+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My Landing Experience using AVR

vmanic

Oct 21, 2010
Hi All,

I thought I would share my experience on landing as a PR last week to Canada by road and return back to US using AVR. I am on H1b visa, my wife in H4 and my kid is a US citizen. The visa in our passport for both of us was expired and had a valid I-94 in our I-797. I decided to land in Canada via road, flown to Buffalo and rented a car and drove to Niagara Falls on Saturday and took sometime to see the falls from US side even though I have seen it earlier.

Then drove my car through Rainbow bridge in the evening around 6pm and waited in the line for 20mins approx and handed my passport to the lady in the counter and she asked usual questions like where you live, r u landing permanently, etc. Then she saw that I dont have a valid visa to go back US and asked about that, I told her that I have valid papers to enter US. Then she asked why you didnt plan for permanent landing, I told her that I have some medical issue for my kid and will come after couple of months.

She asked me have you filed GC in US and I told yes ???, now starts my bad time. She started asking questions like why you are doing GC in US when you have PR in Canada and you cannot have status in 2 countries, blah, blah. I told her US GC is filed by my employer and I dont have any hold on that but Canada PR was done by me, then she asked why I didnt cancel my Canada PR or US GC. I told her that my attorney said he cant do anything in Canada PR as it was in the final stage and US GC is not in my control. Then she asked me where am I going to stay permanently, I told since I have Canada PR I will move to Canada in couple of months. Then she told she will notify US that I have opted Canada as my residency and US should cancel my processing :'( :'( :'(. I was :eek: :eek: but didn't show any signs of that in my face and said no problem 8) 8).

I really dont know if Canadian CIC can do that? Anyone have any idea on that?

Then she asked me to park the car and go inside the building with the yellow slip where she did write that I have already filed my GC in US and make sure when I am gonna permanently move to Canada. The lines were not properly arranged, so I stood in one line and when I went to the officer she told go to the next counter for landing immigrants.

This time it was a guy, he simply asked my yellow slip and then asked to give my documents, he didnt mention what he want to see. Then I gave all passport, COPR and he asked for proof of funds for which I gave him the notorized bank letter. Then he asked to wait, so we sat in the chairs there.

In the next counter another girl was harassing another Indian guy, I dont know exactly why but I guess he told some story/lei I guess but one thing I noted in this center is no a**h***e officers even smiled at us, welcome or even at any one when I was there for the whole time. I was so suprised as I studied in other experience that they greet you so well when you land as immigrant.

Anyway after 15-20mins this called me and and gave my papers back and asked to sign the docs, stapled them in our passport and started telling I should be there atleast 2 yrs to have the status and if I intend to stay in US I should notify CIC or they will file a case against me, etc, etc. I didnt even give a s**t to his talks. the he asked me to go to another counter to do the goods to follow list. I asked him about my address in Canada to get my PR card but he told I will get one when I permanently move to Canada. I didnt bother as many in this forum had the same experience and you can get the card by updating your address online.

Again the same confusion which line? so I approached a officer and he asked me to stand in a line. This time its a lady again, she started asking the details like make & models of my cell phone and some other details. Then she got some doubt on something and she told me that she will check with some immigration officer and she was waiting for someone, my bad luck the a** who I met at the gate was there and she came to the counter and gave her some guidance and looked at us and said hey guys and the way she looked is very mean. Then when she was about to complete I forgot to include my wife gold so when I asked her to include that then again she asked help to this first one and she told nothing can bve done now as it was already stamped. I told thats ok and started walking out of the building and went to my hotel roamed around in Niagara for 2 days and started driving on Tuesday back to US.

This time I thought I will use Peace bridge as many of them was saying it was easy to come back through that bridge. I drove my car to the officer and handed all my docs, again my bad time starts now. She saw that my wife I-94 was expired in 2010 and mine sometime early in 2011 but the I-797 I gave was only from last August, so she asked me to give proof from my visa expired date until to the start date in I-797. Since I didnt had that in my hand, I told her it was in the back of my trunk and I can take that out and show her but she denied to let me out of the car and told that she is gonna let me to go to the immigration building and they will check and let me know.

So I pulled my car to the building and took the I-797 and went inside the building thinking its gonna take 10-15mins but when I entrered there was atleast 15-20 people waiting and only few counters were active. All the guys inside keep walking and talking and browsing their cell phone. Here also they were harassing lot of of people. Already I was late to catch my flight and I dont know what is gonna happen here, so I was waiting, waiting and waiting....

I was called after close to an hour and asked where was I before Canada and US so I said India and same question to my wife and then he checked something in the syatem and told to keep the I-94 from the I-797 in my passport so that no one will give me a problem next time and let us go.

I ran out fast, drove my car to airport and came home. What I would suggest is keep all you documents handy dont put them in the trunk while you go to Canada or come back. US side security is too much but Canada side is OK. Also dont ever say that you have processed GC in US if are doing one. I also applied for my SIN in Niagara office, I didnt had any problem there though. Overall I think my experience is was not that bad as atleast i could land and come back to US.

Hope this helps some of you who may plan to land from US by road and come back using AVR.

Thanks guys and All the very best for all other future immigrants. email me if you guys have any doubt, I may not reply immediately but I will do whenever I check my email.

Cheers!

nashe_31

Champion Member
Dec 6, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London (ISB)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-03-2014
AOR Received.
02-04-2014
File Transfer...
10-04-2014
Med's Request
17-08-2012
Med's Done....
08-12-2013 Re-Med 19-02-2015
Passport Req..
Got an email for bio page of PPs
VISA ISSUED...
DM 06 May, 2015. InShaAllah Soon!
LANDED..........
InShaAllah Soon!
Congrats vmanic, for a safe landing and comeback!

yajumba

Star Member
Aug 3, 2010
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Seattle, USA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-06-2008
Doc's Request.
08-09-2010
AOR Received.
10-10-2008
IELTS Request
submitted with the application
File Transfer...
March 2009
Med's Request
22-07-2011
Med's Done....
27-07-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
07-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
21-10-2011
LANDED..........
22-10-2011
nashe_31 said:
Congrats vmanic, for a safe landing and comeback!
Congrats bro for ur landing...Yes Canadian side officers are very cooperative and well mannered atleast here on our west coast. I did my landing last week and all the officers were really really nice...Actually me, my wife and my kid went to US for shopping and did our landing while coming back. We waited for like 35 min in a line up at the Blaine border. After reaching the officer's window, I told her that we all wish to do our landing as a PR. So she took our passports and COPR. Then she asked (very politely) about my visit to US like when did u went there and how much did u spent etc....Then she handed a yellow slip along with my passport and COPR and guided me to the building. Inside the building the officers were even nicer...They just asked me the question mentioned on COPR and asked me to sign in front of each question. Then I signed for my son and my wife signed her papers.. then the officer asked me to wait. we waited for like 15 min and then he called us back. He just asked about the things coming from India. I told him that I am staying in Canada for 4 years and I bought everything from Canada and nothing is coming from India. He smiled and said ofcourse no problem..Then he shook hand with me and my wife and congraluates us of becoming Permanent resident. Then he gave all of us Canadian flag and said "Welcome to Canada and I wish all of u a prosporous life in Canada".. The we went outside and gave yellow slip to outside officer. He smiled at us after seeing three canadian flag in my Son's hand and said" Welcome to Canada". Then we drove back home. all process took like 20 min excluding waiting time at the border...

Your experience is very different from what I experienced...Anyways all is well that ends well...The point is you are a Permanent resident and millions are waiting for many years to come that far. So just take is as a positive and all the very best for your future and also for you kid's health...

Yaju

jinneebhat

Star Member
Jun 9, 2010
yajumba said:
Congrats bro for ur landing...Yes Canadian side officers are very cooperative and well mannered atleast here on our west coast. I did my landing last week and all the officers were really really nice...Actually me, my wife and my kid went to US for shopping and did our landing while coming back. We waited for like 35 min in a line up at the Blaine border. After reaching the officer's window, I told her that we all wish to do our landing as a PR. So she took our passports and COPR. Then she asked (very politely) about my visit to US like when did u went there and how much did u spent etc....Then she handed a yellow slip along with my passport and COPR and guided me to the building. Inside the building the officers were even nicer...They just asked me the question mentioned on COPR and asked me to sign in front of each question. Then I signed for my son and my wife signed her papers.. then the officer asked me to wait. we waited for like 15 min and then he called us back. He just asked about the things coming from India. I told him that I am staying in Canada for 4 years and I bought everything from Canada and nothing is coming from India. He smiled and said ofcourse no problem..Then he shook hand with me and my wife and congraluates us of becoming Permanent resident. Then he gave all of us Canadian flag and said "Welcome to Canada and I wish all of u a prosporous life in Canada".. The we went outside and gave yellow slip to outside officer. He smiled at us after seeing three canadian flag in my Son's hand and said" Welcome to Canada". Then we drove back home. all process took like 20 min excluding waiting time at the border...

Your experience is very different from what I experienced...Anyways all is well that ends well...The point is you are a Permanent resident and millions are waiting for many years to come that far. So just take is as a positive and all the very best for your future and also for you kid's health...

Yaju
Dear Yaju,
Did you return to US after landing and mentioned your intent of returning to US, if yes?

crazysun

Star Member
Nov 10, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffallo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 23 2010
Doc's Request.
Nov 4 2010
Med's Request
Aug 24 2012
Med's Done....
Sep 29 2012
vmanic said:
Hi All,

I thought I would share my experience on landing as a PR last week to Canada by road and return back to US using AVR. I am on H1b visa, my wife in H4 and my kid is a US citizen. The visa in our passport for both of us was expired and had a valid I-94 in our I-797. I decided to land in Canada via road, flown to Buffalo and rented a car and drove to Niagara Falls on Saturday and took sometime to see the falls from US side even though I have seen it earlier.

Then drove my car through Rainbow bridge in the evening around 6pm and waited in the line for 20mins approx and handed my passport to the lady in the counter and she asked usual questions like where you live, r u landing permanently, etc. Then she saw that I dont have a valid visa to go back US and asked about that, I told her that I have valid papers to enter US. Then she asked why you didnt plan for permanent landing, I told her that I have some medical issue for my kid and will come after couple of months.

She asked me have you filed GC in US and I told yes ???, now starts my bad time. She started asking questions like why you are doing GC in US when you have PR in Canada and you cannot have status in 2 countries, blah, blah. I told her US GC is filed by my employer and I dont have any hold on that but Canada PR was done by me, then she asked why I didnt cancel my Canada PR or US GC. I told her that my attorney said he cant do anything in Canada PR as it was in the final stage and US GC is not in my control. Then she asked me where am I going to stay permanently, I told since I have Canada PR I will move to Canada in couple of months. Then she told she will notify US that I have opted Canada as my residency and US should cancel my processing :'( :'( :'(. I was :eek: :eek: but didn't show any signs of that in my face and said no problem 8) 8).

Then she asked me to park the car and go inside the building with the yellow slip where she did write that I have already filed my GC in US and make sure when I am gonna permanently move to Canada. The lines were not properly arranged, so I stood in one line and when I went to the officer she told go to the next counter for landing immigrants.

This time it was a guy, he simply asked my yellow slip and then asked to give my documents, he didnt mention what he want to see. Then I gave all passport, COPR and he asked for proof of funds for which I gave him the notorized bank letter. Then he asked to wait, so we sat in the chairs there.

In the next counter another girl was harassing another Indian guy, I dont know exactly why but I guess he told some story/lei I guess but one thing I noted in this center is no a**h***e officers even smiled at us, welcome or even at any one when I was there for the whole time. I was so suprised as I studied in other experience that they greet you so well when you land as immigrant.

Anyway after 15-20mins this called me and and gave my papers back and asked to sign the docs, stapled them in our passport and started telling I should be there atleast 2 yrs to have the status and if I intend to stay in US I should notify CIC or they will file a case against me, etc, etc. I didnt even give a s**t to his talks. the he asked me to go to another counter to do the goods to follow list. I asked him about my address in Canada to get my PR card but he told I will get one when I permanently move to Canada. I didnt bother as many in this forum had the same experience and you can get the card by updating your address online.

Again the same confusion which line? so I approached a officer and he asked me to stand in a line. This time its a lady again, she started asking the details like make & models of my cell phone and some other details. Then she got some doubt on something and she told me that she will check with some immigration officer and she was waiting for someone, my bad luck the a** who I met at the gate was there and she came to the counter and gave her some guidance and looked at us and said hey guys and the way she looked is very mean. Then when she was about to complete I forgot to include my wife gold so when I asked her to include that then again she asked help to this first one and she told nothing can bve done now as it was already stamped. I told thats ok and started walking out of the building and went to my hotel roamed around in Niagara for 2 days and started driving on Tuesday back to US.

This time I thought I will use Peace bridge as many of them was saying it was easy to come back through that bridge. I drove my car to the officer and handed all my docs, again my bad time starts now. She saw that my wife I-94 was expired in 2010 and mine sometime early in 2011 but the I-797 I gave was only from last August, so she asked me to give proof from my visa expired date until to the start date in I-797. Since I didnt had that in my hand, I told her it was in the back of my trunk and I can take that out and show her but she denied to let me out of the car and told that she is gonna let me to go to the immigration building and they will check and let me know.

So I pulled my car to the building and took the I-797 and went inside the building thinking its gonna take 10-15mins but when I entrered there was atleast 15-20 people waiting and only few counters were active. All the guys inside keep walking and talking and browsing their cell phone. Here also they were harassing lot of of people. Already I was late to catch my flight and I dont know what is gonna happen here, so I was waiting, waiting and waiting....

I was called after close to an hour and asked where was I before Canada and US so I said India and same question to my wife and then he checked something in the syatem and told to keep the I-94 from the I-797 in my passport so that no one will give me a problem next time and let us go.

I ran out fast, drove my car to airport and came home. What I would suggest is keep all you documents handy dont put them in the trunk while you go to Canada or come back. US side security is too much but Canada side is OK. Also dont ever say that you have processed GC in US if are doing one. I also applied for my SIN in Niagara office, I didnt had any problem there though. Overall I think my experience is was not that bad as atleast i could land and come back to US.

Hope this helps some of you who may plan to land from US by road and come back using AVR.

Thanks guys and All the very best for all other future immigrants. email me if you guys have any doubt, I may not reply immediately but I will do whenever I check my email.

Cheers!
Nice buddy!

after getting my visa my situation also will be same like you. My GC in process, my US visa will expire and i will have a new I797 with i-94.

My doubt is, is it possible to enter into US without valid visa(as it was expired and we have only I797)?? I thought eventhough we have valid I797, without stamping we are not allowed to enter into US?

please let me know.

Crazysun

HERMAN

Apr 16, 2011
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 2010
Doc's Request.
Oct 2010
AOR Received.
Nov 2010
IELTS Request
Oct 2010
Med's Request
awaiting
Hi Vmanic,

As you are senior in this post, I seek your urgent advise in this matter please. As my circumstances are much similar to you. I am here on H1b Visa and i have recieved the medicals from NDVO CHC. I have limited time to send passports to Delhi. Can you please share your experience with me how did you manage to send passports NDVO from US and get back them? Your experience will be great help to me.

Regards
Herman

pdinesh25

Mar 25, 2015
Hi All,

Cheers!

Hello,

I know that my chances are very slim of you actually looking at this message after all these years. I am in the same situation as you were when you landed in Canada in 2011. I am in the US on H1B, GC process in progress and I-140 approved. I got Canada PR recently and plan on doing my 'soft landing' in March 2018. In your post you mentioned that the lady on the Canada side said that she's notify USCIS to cancel your GC processing. Did anything of that sort ever happen? Did you face any problems later? I am a bit apprehensive about landing as a PR with an approved I-140 and eager to hear from you.