+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My Landing Experience - Toronto (Brampton)

samzar

Jan 7, 2014
emamabd said:
i didn't understand what you meant by disclosing 10k and keeping the rest in the bank?

But, for a family of 3, you need to show at least 17,011 CAD ... this requirement is critical and must be met.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/funds.asp
@emamabd ...what I meant is can I bring 17011 cad in cash...if so what proof do I have to show during the immigration process,if any.

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
samzar said:
@ emamabd ...what I meant is can I bring 17011 cad in cash...if so what proof do I have to show during the immigration process,if any.
yes sure you can bring the required amount (17,011 CAD) in cash, having the cash in hand fulfills the proof of funds requirement.

The officer will only ask you: "how much money you brought with you to help you (& your family) settle in canada" - since you'll
have the amount so you'll have no issues.

Usually they don't ask to see the amount - they just accept what you say - but in rare cases they might ask to see the funds.

samzar

Jan 7, 2014
emamabd said:
yes sure you can bring the required amount (17,011 CAD) in cash, having the cash in hand fulfills the proof of funds requirement.

The officer will only ask you: "how much money you brought with you to help you (& your family) settle in canada" - since you'll
have the amount so you'll have no issues.

Usually they don't ask to see the amount - they just accept what you say - but in rare cases they might ask to see the funds.
Thx emamabd will bring the CAD in cash.....Planning to move to Toronto....can you let me know the monthly expenses i.e. Monthly rent for 1BHK, grocery expense for 3, electricity and water bills etc.

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
samzar said:
Thx emamabd will bring the CAD in cash.....Planning to move to Toronto....can you let me know the monthly expenses i.e. Monthly rent for 1BHK, grocery expense for 3, electricity and water bills etc.
rental prices vary a lot, depending on location,condition, ...etc...kijiji is a good source, you can have a look at the available "live" accommodation offers to get an idea:

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/f-real-estate-apartments-condos-W0QQCatIdZ37

electricity and water bills are usually included in the rent,

With regards to groceries i spent between 400 - 500 CAD per month for a family of 4 (including 2 young kids), i've stayed only 3 months in canada though.

You can do good savings on groceries if you plan your shopping, i.e. by following the flyers (below is a very useful link) - comparing the offers in different grocery stores, usually there are good offers towards end of the week (thursday,friday and saturday)

http://www.redflagdeals.com/in/toronto/flyers/categories/groceries/

you could also find weekly flyers for all other stuff, such as electronics, furniture, kids stuff....you name it.

HeisenbergCanada

Star Member
Oct 27, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
samzar said:
1 BHK - $1000
Grocery - $350
Telephone - $70
TTC - $132
Misc - $100

This is for a couple staying in uptown Toronto.

samzar

Jan 7, 2014
coolguy2010 said:
Hi guys,

Finally Landed at Toronto Pearson Airport thru KLM Airlines via Amsterdam. Flight service was good and everything was on time. We had halt at Amsterdam for 3.5 hours which we enjoyed seeing the airport , duty free,etc (no transit visa)

Now coming to Toronto Airport, after coming out of plane, there were 2 lines – a) Permanent Residents Entry and b) Visitors Visa. If u r landing first time, u need to go to Visitors Visa Line. (Many of this will be known but just want to share , as we had went to PR entry line and were trying to scan the Canada Visa which was not working)

You will enter at Immigration who will check your passport (not COPR or goods to follow list ,etc). She will stamp ur passport and will ask you to go to CBSA officer who check your COPR and will ask you the address. Here we had address but there was one number (e.g 75) which was apartment number and I was not sure whether its Villa Number or Street Number. So make sure you understand ur address correctly. She ask me to update the address online or fax one form (she gave) to given number. For Proof of Funds , I had handed over the form which had US$ and CA$. She didn't ask the funds for checking. Finally she said “Welcome to Canada”.
After clearing from CBSA officer ( COPR and POF) , u will go ahead and u will get detailed explanation of Canada benefits, schooling, etc which will be explained by person at the counter.

After getting all brochures for Canada, you will move ahead for Customs for goods declaration. Normally they don't ask for Goods carried list and ask for Goods to Follow list. I had Goods to Follow list in excel sheet print out (6 pages) with nearly $60K. There was not much crowd and officer ask us to come. He ask do you have goods to follow list and I immediately handed over the list. He went through the list thoroughly one by one and said “GHEE” is not allowed. He cross that item and ask What's “MILK MASALA”. My wife explained him. Again he ask “What's “CHUDIDHAR” (indian dress) , we told that its indian dress for girls.
Then he was checking gold item list and ask do u have photos and we showed the photos. I asked him that I need to add 2 things which I missed and he said you can add it. I added manually in the list and he then trying to add the values in the list (as I had not given total value of goods at end of sheet)
Took a taxi for Brampton and it cost us 65$ from Pearson Airport to Brampton.
Next day, I went to Service Ontario for SIN Number and we got it in half hour. The lady well explained to us of Canada system ,etc. I had updated my address there as there are Desktops lying there for online service (free to use). There will be lady who will be helping if u r stuck up anywhere.
After SIN number, got my mobile SIM card ( please remember its not mandatory to give ur SIN Number to mobile card sellers for prepaid card atleast). For post paid card also, u don't need to give SIN but then u will not get SIM card. So its ur call to give the SIN number or not. I didn't gave SIN number to card sellers as it was prepaid.

SIN number is very important and keep it in proper custody. There may be misuse of your number.

On 2nd Day, I went for Driving test at Brampton . I showed my Dubai License, RTA letter (Attested one and its mandatory) with Passport. She gave me token and ask to pay. At other counter, the guy took my eye testing and confirmed my address, DOB, and name. I asked him that “Is Attestation mandatory on this letter”?. He said yes its mandatory and other lady staff also told with him the same thing.
I pass the G1 test and will be appearing for classes for G2 (3 to 4 classes). Each class will cost $30 and then I will be appearing for G2 test. Again then I need to take 3 to 4 classes for G test and then final test on highway.
Note:
1) In G1 test, there are two sets of questions – a) Sign test and b) Rules test.
2) Rules Test is tricky and suggest you to prepare yourself. There are some rules in Canada which you will know after you have practice. You can go to “ApnaToronto.com” for test.

This country is very calm and peaceful. People here are very polite and courteous. Everything is systematized and you will like it.

That's all for now and will keep you update guys.

Regards
Cool
@coolguy2010, emamabd.....as a family I need to show CAD 17,011 as POF...however from India you can take only CAD 10,000...Can I take CAD 10,000 in cash and rest show thru a bank statement....please help and advise.

rizmayo

Aug 17, 2013
Mississauga
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
With Application
Med's Request
16-07-2013
Med's Done....
26-08-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
03-09-2013, sent 17-09-2013, DM 06-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
30-09-2013
samzar said:
@ coolguy2010, emamabd.....as a family I need to show CAD 17,011 as POF...however from India you can take only CAD 10,000...Can I take CAD 10,000 in cash and rest show thru a bank statement....please help and advise.
No that would not be accepted. There shouldn't be any restriction on bank draft. I would suggest carrying enough cash to last you one month and the rest in the form of bank draft drawn on a Canadian bank. You can open an account after you arrive in Canada and deposit the draft. It will take about a week to clear.

Regards,

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
rizmayo said:
No that would not be accepted. There shouldn't be any restriction on bank draft. I would suggest carrying enough cash to last you one month and the rest in the form of bank draft drawn on a Canadian bank. You can open an account after you arrive in Canada and deposit the draft. It will take about a week to clear.

Regards,
@ rimayo - fully agree,

@ samzar - in addition to above, you may also consider traveller cheques (i.e. Thomas Cook)