+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

MY LANDING EXPERIENCE (Part II)

pecimob

Star Member
Aug 22, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I landed recently (sept. 30) and had to return to Seoul (October 10) to tie a few knots. Two weeks after I arrived in Seoul, I was summoned to return to AB because my wife had delivered our baby girl....I WILL POST SOME INFORMATION ABOUT MY EXPERIENCE AT THE HOSPITAL LATER....

I did not receive my PR card before leaving AB so back in Seoul, I applied for a travel document.

My reason for posting this information is to find out if anyone had had such an experience:

1. I arrived at Vancouver airport oct. 22 went through immigration. The officer asked for the reason for my quick turn around. My response was: PERSONAL. He asked about my PR card and I responded that it did not arrive by the time I was departing AB. He also asked if I was bringing in food or meat products and I said, No. He said everything was okay, stamped my passport and handed it over with the customs declaration card.

2. I handed over the customs card to an officer and just as I was turning to head to the carousel to board a flight to calgary, the officer directed me to go and see another officer (a lady). She asked me the following questions:
1. Where are you coming from? SEOUL
2. Apart from your personal clothes are you bringing in food or meat products? NO
3. How long were you in Canada? TWO WEEKS
4. WHy such a quick turnaround? PERSONAL..to tie a few knots
5. Your occupation? PASTOR
6. Have you found a job here yet? NO..still searching...

She then asked me to wait...after 5 minutes another officer comes back with my passport and tells me.."Sorry, for keeping you waiting. You may go now".

I asked him why they have to do that. Also I wanted to know if this was a random thing they do to permanent residents. His response was that there are many reasons including the fact that many people become immigrants without living in Canada...they come for the status. SO he wanted to find out because I am a new immigrant. He also added that if i have a question, I should contact immigration.

I was both upset and surprised at the way they treated me and here are my reasons:

1. I am a permanent resident regardless of whether I live in Canada or not.
2. My family is now located in in AB and a new PR...I have not violated any law in the country or the requirements for the PR status.
3. Since I went through immigration without any problems, I wonder why customs have to ask these questions.
4. I know my rights and responsibilities as a PR. Though I have cooperate with customs, I wonder why they have to ask me questions about my residency when I think it is the responsibility of immigration. At the end of 5years, they would have the chance to decide if I meet the requirements for renewal or not.

Based on what they did to me, I wonder whether PR's are not allowed to travel out of the country at all.

Has anyone had this experience? ANy thoughts? Advise? Please let me know....

Thank you.

BCguy

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2008
Vancouver British Columbia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
16-03-1976
You are overreacting you just got screened by the secondary screener.It happens to about 1 out of every 20 or so or about a couple hundred a day.It s selected randomly I work for the goverment,Have been Canadian since Birth and I got randomly screened RELAX

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It doesn't sound like they were mean to you, just asking stuff. When I've come back from vacations, they've asked me stuff like how long I was gone, where I was, what did I do there, did I bring anything back. You can look at it like a friendly chat or you can look at it like they are hassling you. Up to you.

Also they don't wait 5 years to decide if people still have their PR, they may look into it whenever you are entering the country. A lot of people seem to be getting their PR as a some kind of backup plan without actually planning to live in Canada so they might check everything that looks suspicious to them, maybe even red flag your file to check up on you later.

GK

Dec 18, 2007
Category........
Visa Office......
Detroit
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-06-2008
Passport Req..
20-07-2008
VISA ISSUED...
01-08-2008
LANDED..........
01-10-2008
pecimob - Relax!!!

You get held up in customs for a few minutes, someone asks you some questions and you get upset!

Maybe you need to do some travelling to other countries - hey, why don't you cross the border into US, that for sure will give you reasons to get upset. Try to board a flight out of JFK or Heathrow without hassle if you are originally from the Middle East. Or when you always get "random" selected by the airline for additional security screening every time you enter a US or UK airport.

pecimob

Star Member
Aug 22, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks to all of you for the explanation. It's really helpful to know that this was just a random exercise. I feel very relaxed now.

Petrus

Oct 16, 2008
BCguy said:
You are overreacting you just got screened by the secondary screener.It happens to about 1 out of every 20 or so or about a couple hundred a day.It s selected randomly I work for the goverment,Have been Canadian since Birth and I got randomly screened RELAX
I will be landing in a few weeks and will also have to come back home to Europe before the PR card arrives. It's terrifiying. What if they just decide that, because you were away for a few weeks or months, you're no longer eligible to remain in Canada? Hell...

new man

Jan 16, 2008
Please I was sent a letter by CIC saying that I should feel a form if am no longer interested in pursuing my immigration to Canada and by so doing I will get a refund of my application fees in full.

I was given 120 days to return the completed form otherwise, it will be assumed that am still interested and when they eventually start the processing of my form, there would not be such offer. my question now is, Do I need to write them that am still interested? Are they starting the processing of my application even though I submitted in june 2007?

Please, Senior Memebers I need your replies. A friend of mine who submitted earlier than I have not seen anything uptill now.

Expecting your comments

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Like the letter says, if you have changed your mind and don't want to immigrate anymore, let them know and you will get your money back.

If you are still interested in immigrating, you do not have to do anything.

ghiaskhan

Because Canadian immigration process is long and time cosuming, some people do get fedup and change their mind during the lengthy waiting time. Its exactly to ensue that CIC spends time upon willing people only.Also this way they facilitate unwilling people to have their money back. So if you have the intention to migrate to canada, you may show your intentions to CIC, but if you have chnged your mind get your money to spend it on somthing constructive. good luck.