+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My fiancee is a Canadian permanent resident and planning to sponsor me and my daughter to immigrate to Alberta

joannagat

Jul 21, 2021
Hello, I just got engaged and planning to marry to a Canadian PR in 2024 (he is working on his citizenship). What is the best process for my daughter (not my fiancee's) to immigrate to Alberta? My daughter and I are bot US citizens. My daughter would be 8 yrs old by 2024. Can we start the process prior to getting married? How long would it take us? Basically, we want to get married in 2024 and live in Alberta also in 2024. Thanks so much!

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Congratulations!

Nothing can begin, in terms of the sponsorship process, until you are married. Having said that, you can certainly start to gather information on how it works. If your daughter's father is still living, he will need to consent to you taking her to Canada.

Pardon me for asking, but...is your marriage being delayed until he obtains Canadian citizenship, for that sole reason?

Last edited:

MJSPARV

Sep 17, 2020
Hello, I just got engaged and planning to marry to a Canadian PR in 2024 (he is working on his citizenship). What is the best process for my daughter (not my fiancee's) to immigrate to Alberta? My daughter and I are bot US citizens. My daughter would be 8 yrs old by 2024. Can we start the process prior to getting married? How long would it take us? Basically, we want to get married in 2024 and live in Alberta also in 2024. Thanks so much!
Are you currently living together and do you meet the criteria for common law? That's the only way you can start the sponsorship before marriage. Look carefully at the requirements for common law if you think you meet them.

joannagat

Jul 21, 2021
Congratulations!

Nothing can begin, in terms of the sponsorship process, until you are married. Having said that, you can certainly start to gather information on how it works. If your daughter's father is still living, he will need to consent to you taking her to Canada.

Pardon me for asking, but...is your marriage being delayed until he obtains Canadian citizenship, for that sole reason?

Thank you so much! Yes the father of my child is still living. Would consent be enough? My fiancee won't need to adopt her right?
No he is a PR, but been here in Canada for 10 years now. We are planning to get married in 2024 so we have time to plan, etc but maybe we can do a civil wedding to start the process. What would u recommend?

joannagat

Jul 21, 2021
Are you currently living together and do you meet the criteria for common law? That's the only way you can start the sponsorship before marriage. Look carefully at the requirements for common law if you think you meet them.
Thank you for your response! We don't live together yet. I've only visited him 3 times in Canada. I'll go check on that!

joannagat

Jul 21, 2021
Thank you so much! Yes the father of my child is still living. Would consent be enough? My fiancee won't need to adopt her right?
No he is a PR, but been here in Canada for 10 years now. We are planning to get married in 2024 so we have time to plan, etc but maybe we can do a civil wedding to start the process. What would u recommend?
Also, we plan to move in 2024 because my daughter wants to finish her 2nd grade in the U.S. How long does the process take place all in all? Assuming we get married this summer..

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I recommend doing whatever the two of you decide to do.

If your primary desire is to start the sponsorship process now, you have no choice but to get married (civil ceremony works). Your daughter does not need to be adopted by your future husband, in terms of any requirements for spousal sponsorship, but she will be part of your application for PR. Because of this, he will be financially responsible for her for 10 years. He will also be financially responsible for you for 3 years.

https://www.cicnews.com/2022/07/what-are-my-obligations-when-sponsoring-my-spouse-for-canadian-immigration-0728597.html
What is the length of the undertaking?

The length of the undertaking is different for residents of Quebec then it is for the rest of Canada. For all parts of Canada except for Quebec, if you are sponsoring a spouse, common law or conjugal partner, the length of the undertaking is 3 years from the day the sponsored person becomes a permanent resident.

If you are sponsoring a dependent child over 22 years old, the length of the undertaking is also 3 years. If the dependent child is under 22 years old, the length of the undertaking is 10 years from the day they become a permanent resident or until the child becomes 25 years old, whichever comes first.