+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My experience TODAY at Windsor Office- Test and Interview

Amry83

Aug 25, 2009
Hi my applicants in law;

I just want to share my experience at my test day at Windsor office 1pm.

I arrived 15 minutes before the test. The administrator called us in 15-10 min before the appointment. Checked in and waited to be called in for the test. They were so friendly and courteous (I agree with everyone who described the politeness of the staff), they were very patient with people who couldn't even speak English well at all. It really took off the nervousness out of me.

Now, 1:05 pm and we were called in. The test was done in the Oath room, we were about 9 people. There were different version of the test, I got the one in white, nothing to do with colour coding at all..... just your luck, which version you get.

The test was super easy, if you study. I completed it in 4 minutes, and left the room after 10 minutes, took my time to revise (making sure lol i didn't mis-transfer the answers incorrectly). I believe I could pass it without studying (I still recommend studying). I don't like reading and I purchased the citizenshipsupport.ca package. Doing all the chapter tests, you will not need to read at all, from my point of view its sufficient and worth it if you are sharing it with a family member.

I was the first one in line for interview. One thing I want to say is, "First impression". I didn't feel I was in an interview at all. The officer called my name and knew it was me (she have my photo in the file - no brainer). Here goes the conversation in short;

Officer: Hi, How are you? come in please
Me: Good, do you want me to shut the door behind me?
Officer: Yes, please!
Officer: You did great, full mark! (I didn't even yet sit down)
Me: Oh yea! Nice to hear that! I studied hard. Canadian history is rich!
Officer: Yea, I agree you can say that! (then she went explaining where her ancestors- nice side conversation) - I was totally relaxed and not even an ounce of nervousness in me.
Me: Cool, thanks for sharing.
Officer: Do you have all your documents? Did you have your photocopies of your passports
Me: Yes, I do.
Officer: That's good.
Me: I tagged them to show which one old and new.
Officer: Don't worry about it, they are not that important. Just need to have them.

I showed all my documents. The officer didn't look through my passport, she just scanned through it. Ignored all the Arabic stamps. She started to look for something. I asked if she needed me to show translation of those stamps. She's like not really I am looking for the extension in your older passport, if you did photocopied it. I showed her that I did. She didn't even care about the translation. But then asked me do you have them anyways, I can put them in file, I am like sure (damn, I spent $200 saying in my head).

The officer then asked me about my work and I presented a letter of employment with my HR's business card, she responded with a smile, you are very well prepared! then asked me if I was married, and if my spouse will apply for citizenship, then asked if I have a child. i said yes, then she asked me, where was he born...told her he's a Canadian, and I have a copy of his birth certificate, she is like that's nice, yes please, it will help to show your ties to Canada (not sure how that works). Asked me about my school too. I went to the same province for school where her family is from.

At the end, she said the sentence that I wanted to hear. "You all good, no worries, definitely I will recommend you to the Judge".

One thing I noticed, when I came in, she had the file open on the RCMP FP results to see my photo. Then while talking to me she had a form to fill in front of her. The form was like a table in the middle, there were 3 columns; first has questions, second column had 4-5 boxes to tick and 3rd for remarks. In my case she ticked the first box for each question and wrote remarks on each row, e.g. my level of education in the remarks. In the bottom of the form she noted that my wife will be applying next year for citizenship.

On another tangent, before the test they said; if anyone is going for vacation during March break, should let them know. After the test, I let one of the staff know I will be away and she asked me to write on my answer sheet on the side, that I am planning for vacation for 10 days in March and wrote the dates down. After the interview, I mentioned it and the officer said yes, thanks for letting us know, so to avoid booking your oath during the period you indicated.

Sorry for the long post and in-coherence, but just wanted to share my experience.

Best of luck for all. (DON'T BE NERVOUS AND HAVE A GOOD FIRST IMPRESSION) - Honestly, I went with business attire like with a tie no suit, looked professional and clean. ;D

krish ram

Mar 5, 2013
did they take back your pr card they took back my daughters pr card and she commented you don't need this any more and said your othe will be 2 to 4 months time . the cic office is in Halifax . she got 20 out of 20. is this normal

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
krish ram said:
did they take back your pr card they took back my daughters pr card and she commented you don't need this any more and said your othe will be 2 to 4 months time . the cic office is in Halifax . she got 20 out of 20. is this normal
Doesn't sound normal. She isn't a citizen until the oath. She might need her PR card in the interim. Strange.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
links18 said:
Doesn't sound normal. She isn't a citizen until the oath. She might need her PR card in the interim. Strange.
That is strange. I surrendered my PR card at the oath ceremony.

Aamir89

Star Member
May 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Amry83 said:
Hi my applicants in law;

I arrived 15 minutes before the test. The administrator called us in 15-10 min before the appointment. Checked in and waited to be called in for the test. They were so friendly and courteous (I agree with everyone who described the politeness of the staff), they were very patient with people who couldn't even speak English well at all. It really took off the nervousness out of me.

Now, 1:05 pm and we were called in. The test was done in the Oath room, we were about 9 people. There were different version of the test, I got the one in white, nothing to do with colour coding at all..... just your luck, which version you get.

The test was super easy, if you study. I completed it in 4 minutes, and left the room after 10 minutes, took my time to revise (making sure lol i didn't mis-transfer the answers incorrectly). I believe I could pass it without studying (I still recommend studying). I don't like reading and I purchased the citizenshipsupport.ca package. Doing all the chapter tests, you will not need to read at all, from my point of view its sufficient and worth it if you are sharing it with a family member.

I was the first one in line for interview. One thing I want to say is, "First impression". I didn't feel I was in an interview at all. The officer called my name and knew it was me (she have my photo in the file - no brainer). Here goes the conversation in short;

Officer: Yea, I agree you can say that! (then she went explaining where her ancestors- nice side conversation) - I was totally relaxed and not even an ounce of nervousness in me.
Officer: Do you have all your documents? Did you have your photocopies of your passports
Officer: Don't worry about it, they are not that important. Just need to have them.

I showed all my documents. The officer didn't look through my passport, she just scanned through it. Ignored all the Arabic stamps. She started to look for something. I asked if she needed me to show translation of those stamps. She's like not really I am looking for the extension in your older passport, if you did photocopied it. I showed her that I did. She didn't even care about the translation. But then asked me do you have them anyways, I can put them in file, I am like sure (damn, I spent $200 saying in my head).

The officer then asked me about my work and I presented a letter of employment with my HR's business card, she responded with a smile, you are very well prepared! then asked me if I was married, and if my spouse will apply for citizenship, then asked if I have a child. i said yes, then she asked me, where was he born...told her he's a Canadian, and I have a copy of his birth certificate, she is like that's nice, yes please, it will help to show your ties to Canada (not sure how that works). Asked me about my school too. I went to the same province for school where her family is from.

At the end, she said the sentence that I wanted to hear. "You all good, no worries, definitely I will recommend you to the Judge".

One thing I noticed, when I came in, she had the file open on the RCMP FP results to see my photo. Then while talking to me she had a form to fill in front of her. The form was like a table in the middle, there were 3 columns; first has questions, second column had 4-5 boxes to tick and 3rd for remarks. In my case she ticked the first box for each question and wrote remarks on each row, e.g. my level of education in the remarks. In the bottom of the form she noted that my wife will be applying next year for citizenship.

On another tangent, before the test they said; if anyone is going for vacation during March break, should let them know. After the test, I let one of the staff know I will be away and she asked me to write on my answer sheet on the side, that I am planning for vacation for 10 days in March and wrote the dates down. After the interview, I mentioned it and the officer said yes, thanks for letting us know, so to avoid booking your oath during the period you indicated.

Sorry for the long post and in-coherence, but just wanted to share my experience.

Best of luck for all. (DON'T BE NERVOUS AND HAVE A GOOD FIRST IMPRESSION) - Honestly, I went with business attire like with a tie no suit, looked professional and clean. ;D

Hi Congratulation...

I exactly have the sample scenario likes your and I mine office for Windsor as well the Walker Road one. Windsor is very fast and I guess you will get your Oath Ceremony letter in 2 weeks.

I wrote test in Nov and got Oath ceremony in Nov as well.

Good Luck Everyone :)

For timeline check my signature and Windsor & Mississauga seems to be very fast (7-9 months)

Thanks

Amry83

Aug 25, 2009
Hi guys,

Thank you all for the well wishes....

- Regarding PR card, no the officer made sure I had everything original back. I am not sure , that is normal....but don't worry, because surely they have it on her file and on Oath day she should mention that to them.

- My timeline was as follows; (just 11 days shy from being a year long since applying)

application submitted: Feb 14th, 2013
AOR received: April 14th, 2013
Application in process: April 10th, 2013
Finger print request (from St.Clair office): Dec 10th, 2013
Test day invite: Jan 10th,2014 (From Windsor office)

I hope that alla helped....Thank you for all your help and support in this forum....

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey Amry83, congrats on the test and interview phase.

I have my test on Feb 20th. Just curious if the officer was interested to see any particular document that wasn't on the list. I am taking the ones mentioned in the forums (photocopies of passport, pr card, health card, driver's license, NOA, T4, employment letter). Any other documents required? I am married but no kids.

free

Star Member
Sep 30, 2008
Amry83 said:
Hi my applicants in law;

why the job and ties are important?we are not applying for PR card,those things are not mentioned as a positive or negative point in any immigration website to be rejected in exam,why they referred you to the judge?any other interviews? I do not think all windsor applications are super fast because i live there,also unemployment is very high in here .many of my friends studied phd or master at this university and left the city because there is no job

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
free said:
why the job and ties are important?we are not applying for PR card,those things are not mentioned as a positive or negative point in any immigration website to be rejected in exam,why they referred you to the judge?any other interviews? I do not think all windsor applications are super fast because i live there,also unemployment is very high in here .many of my friends studied phd or master at this university and left the city because there is no job
i too have heard conflicting reports of the timelines in Windsor. Some people here seem to go from application to oath in 7-9 months. Meanwhile an immigration lawyer I talked to in Windsor says its more like 16-20 months for a routine application. Confused.

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Windsor didn't have a citizenship judge for a long time. I believe one was appointed last year, after which the process sped up by a lot.