+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My Experience So Far

malu08

Jul 27, 2009
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
NOC Code......
Hi All,

Writing to this forum after a period of more than 1 month. I reached Toronto exactly 1 month back on 10th March 2011 from New Delhi. Landing process was smooth and nothing new to write about as most of the things have already been covered in this forum by lot of memebers. If any body has any particular question I can try to answer that.

Anyway I reached safely and stayed with my friend initially for 1 week . During this time I opened joint checquing bank account with my wife in CIBC bank. Got good deal of two (1000 CAD $) unsecured credit cards one for myself and one for her+ Free for 1 Year Safety deposit (we call them bank lockers in India). Got temperory SIN Number, Parmanent one I got later by mail after 4 weeks. Joined my office here as I already have job when came from India. Got new mobile and Rogers connection.

2nd week of my stay I rented 2 BHK basement in Brampton and shifted. Rent is 800$ including all essential utilities like Electricity,Internet,Fridge,separate Laundry and Washing machine,Big TV with rogers cable connection and more over accommodation is very spacious . During this week I mostly worked on settling things at home + prepared for G1 driving test.

3rd week of my stay I gave and cleared G1 test and also got eligiable to give G2 test with out any 8 months wait. I also have particular (Authority) letter from India RTO which I will submit and will try to get eligiablity to give directly G Level test. This week also got my Son into school . He got late admission first due to March Spring Break and later due to delay in Bus service. Bus service for new admissions takes some time to start atleast a week.

Overall I found my place very good, People are nice but Yes bit costly but never mind . I feel there is a kind of monopoly by companies specially in telecom and Banking sector. There is no major compition for them like in India. Very few telecom companies and major one Rogers & Bell. Every service is paid here. Things which we take for granted back in India but when you have to pay for them here you will feel the pinch. Atleast I felt that way. Like for Cheque book you have to pay 35$, Incoming calls are not free, Auto Insurance is quite High.

Any body has any question please let me know I will try to answer best of my knowledge. God Bless you all.

donutbox

Aug 7, 2010
Thanks for the update

What do you mean by "unsecured credit cards"?

What is the SIN and what is it for?

By any chance, does anyone have any similar report regarding Montreal (I am particularly interested in cost of living etc.)?

malu08

Jul 27, 2009
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
NOC Code......
donutbox said:
Thanks for the update

What do you mean by "unsecured credit cards"?

`unsecured credit cards`means you would be spending Banks Money initially for purchase, shopping but later you have to pay them back on or before due date other wise they will start taking interest which normally is very high. This is like your typical credit card only they changed the name and put unsecured as there is no guarantee that person will pay them back.
other option is `Secured Credit Card` which is opposite here you will be spending your own money for purchase. This is like your Debit Card.

What is the SIN and what is it for?

The Social Insurance Number (SIN) is a nine-digit number that you need to work in Canada or to have access to government programs and benefits.

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/sc/sin/

By any chance, does anyone have any similar report regarding Montreal (I am particularly interested in cost of living etc.)? I do not have any info on this.

gagansingh

Champion Member
Feb 22, 2011
malu08 said:
Hi All,

Writing to this forum after a period of more than 1 month. I reached Toronto exactly 1 month back on 10th March 2011 from New Delhi. Landing process was smooth and nothing new to write about as most of the things have already been covered in this forum by lot of memebers. If any body has any particular question I can try to answer that.

Anyway I reached safely and stayed with my friend initially for 1 week . During this time I opened joint checquing bank account with my wife in CIBC bank. Got good deal of two (1000 CAD $) unsecured credit cards one for myself and one for her+ Free for 1 Year Safety deposit (we call them bank lockers in India). Got temperory SIN Number, Parmanent one I got later by mail after 4 weeks. Joined my office here as I already have job when came from India. Got new mobile and Rogers connection.

2nd week of my stay I rented 2 BHK basement in Brampton and shifted. Rent is 800$ including all essential utilities like Electricity,Internet,Fridge,separate Laundry and Washing machine,Big TV with rogers cable connection and more over accommodation is very spacious . During this week I mostly worked on settling things at home + prepared for G1 driving test.

3rd week of my stay I gave and cleared G1 test and also got eligiable to give G2 test with out any 8 months wait. I also have particular (Authority) letter from India RTO which I will submit and will try to get eligiablity to give directly G Level test. This week also got my Son into school . He got late admission first due to March Spring Break and later due to delay in Bus service. Bus service for new admissions takes some time to start atleast a week.

Overall I found my place very good, People are nice but Yes bit costly but never mind . I feel there is a kind of monopoly by companies specially in telecom and Banking sector. There is no major compition for them like in India. Very few telecom companies and major one Rogers & Bell. Every service is paid here. Things which we take for granted back in India but when you have to pay for them here you will feel the pinch. Atleast I felt that way. Like for Cheque book you have to pay 35$, Incoming calls are not free, Auto Insurance is quite High.

Any body has any question please let me know I will try to answer best of my knowledge. God Bless you all.

thank you for sharing ur experience :)

imu

Jan 22, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dear malu08

thanks a lot for your sharing of experience.could you please tell us something on jobs for teaching as college lecturer or instructor. i applied for NOC 4131 and waiting for PPR. yes , it seems its hard to get the jobs initially in the same same position we had in our homeland .

looking forward to hearing from you soon.

wishes
imu

salmanahm

Oct 9, 2009
Islamabad Pakistan
Category........
Visa Office......
Transferred to London from Islamabad
NOC Code......
4131-0911-9216
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
4 Nov 2009
Doc's Request.
1 Jan 2010
Nomination.....
4th may 2010
AOR Received.
18th Aug 2010
Med's Done....
June 2012
VISA ISSUED...
15-1-15 PP received on 21-1-15
Very nice INFO.
Thanks for remembering us after landing.
What about jobs ?
Is there some job available to continue all this expenditure.
Regards
Salman

wicky

Feb 27, 2011
LONDON UK
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2011
Doc's Request.
Submitted with application
AOR Received.
awaiting
IELTS Request
Submitted with application 7.5 Band
File Transfer...
awaiting
Med's Request
awaiting
Med's Done....
awaiting
Interview........
awaiting
Passport Req..
awaiting
VISA ISSUED...
awaiting
LANDED..........
awaiting
Thank you a lot.

Kunwar11

Feb 15, 2011
Visa Office......
sydney ,Australia
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
12-03-2010
IELTS Request
submitted
Med's Request
1st May 2013
Med's Done....
7th May 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
4th july 2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM on 19th july 2013
LANDED..........
Landing on 12 th Sep 2013
very gud information,
and hoping and trying to be there... but what can we do when fast track becomes so slow track ...

aliz

Star Member
Oct 31, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, USA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May - 2009
Doc's Request.
July - 2009
IELTS Request
waived
File Transfer...
September - 2009
Med's Request
August - 2010
Med's Done....
September - 2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
May 16, 2011
VISA ISSUED...
May 17, 2011
LANDED..........
May 17, 2011
donutbox said:
Thanks for the update

What do you mean by "unsecured credit cards"? for unsecured credit card, you don't need to put your own funds in bank.

What is the SIN and what is it for? it is like SSN, its stands for Social Insurance Number, very important, its necessary for loan, mortgage etc. Also helps building your credit.

By any chance, does anyone have any similar report regarding Montreal (I am particularly interested in cost of living etc.)?

rgirish

Star Member
Aug 18, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06/09/2014
Does US Credit history holds any ground in Canada? Or you have to build a new one?

ahmadtajwer

Champion Member
Jun 29, 2009
Aurora
I doubt if it really will make a big impact, generally US credit history won't have any impact. I think when you get car insurance, US driving exp might help you to get cheaper insurance and that's about it.