+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My citizenship process is on hold!

victimized

Feb 17, 2019
HI All,

I applied for citizenship and sent all the required documents on 30th of November 2017. I passed the test on 12th of April 2018. The officer declared to me that I passed the test 20 out of 20. Since 12th of April I am still waiting for ceremony invitation. Processing time has already passed 1 year. I called the immigration and related officer does not explain anything and they did not give any clear respond. Also they did not reflect the step of exam which explains "the applicant passed the test " on the website of cic.

What should i do ? Which way do I need to follow ? Could you please guide me with your experience ?

Zmaqsood

Champion Member
Sep 10, 2014
Milton. ON
HI All,

I applied for citizenship and sent all the required documents on 30th of November 2017. I passed the test on 12th of April 2018. The officer declared to me that I passed the test 20 out of 20. Since 12th of April I am still waiting for ceremony invitation. Processing time has already passed 1 year. I called the immigration and related officer does not explain anything and they did not give any clear respond. Also they did not reflect the step of exam which explains "the applicant passed the test " on the website of cic.

What should i do ? Which way do I need to follow ? Could you please guide me with your experience ?
Speak to ur MP and ask him to follow up with CIC on ur behalf

Jadanadar

Feb 1, 2019
Hi everybody,
We REALLY need your help as our life is on HOLD.
My husband is a Canadian citizen, he got a job offer from an American company. My question is about my situation. Here are important dates for my citizenship application:
September 18th, 2017: citizenship application received by IRCC
February 27th, 2018: citizenship exam and post exam interview with success.
The IRCC agent in Montreal told us that I will receive my invitation for the ceremony within 6 to 8 weeks after the date of my exam(by the end of April 2018). Based on this information, we decided that my husband accepts the job offer. So he quit his job, rented our house in Montreal. Four months had past and we had no news from IRCC regarding the date of my ceremony. After that, we realized that I had to apply for my PR renewal since it had been already expired and I simply forgot to keep track of it (expiration dat eMarch 2018). I immediately applied for renewal on June 2th, 2018 (2 months after expiration date). Meanwhile, we talked to our MP and did numerous phone calls to IRCC. After several follow-up, we have been told that after four months since my exam date, the IRCC agent simply did not update my digital application and after couple of months my application process was not even started! IRCC did not assume their fault and they kept telling that the processing time for citizenship application is usually 12 months and we cannot do anything before September 18th, 2018 (12 months after my application process started). MP office and IRCC agents confirmed us several times that passing September 18th 2018, I will be eligible to request for Urgent processing!
My husband had to postpone his starting date in the U.S. 3 times (4.5 months) but at the end he had to leave Canada without me since my application seemed like an open ended process which nobody took responsibility to respond for its delay. We rented out our house in Montreal and I started couch surfing renting Airbnb. I had to shut down my business that I worked for 5 years since I had to rent our my workshop as well. We waited until September 18th 2018 (end of 12 months processing time) to request for Urgent process for citizenship. We did so, but unfortunately again nobody was responsive or helpful for that matter .
Meanwhile, on September 28th, we received an email from IRCC asking us the proof of residency for my PR card renewal!!! We provided 350 pages of documents. We did another follow-up with MP and they told us that IRCC put citizenship application on HOLD because of PR application and it is a non-routine process that could take between 1 to 2 years. Once, PR card is renewed, the citizenship application can continue. Now few important points to highlight:
  • I cannot travel to the U.S. since I have an Iranian passport (almost impossible to get a visa). In addition, my husband's employer’s immigration lawyer keep insisting that I'd better apply with a Canadian passport for U.S status (L2) otherwise, it would be extremely complicated situation;
  • We had to rent another home in Canada and pay for two homes at the same time (on win US and one in Canada). Now, He goes back and forth between Us and Canada every three weeks; We are losing so much money right now!
  • PR renewal application causes a blockage on my citizenship application and it could take between 1 to 2 year of processing time;
  • I met ALL residency requirements for PR and citizenship (more than 1500 day out of 5 years).
  • I also have my parents living in the U.S (green card holders). They are old with a serious language barrier. My mother is sick But we don’t have any doctor notice proofing that they are sick, requesting an emergency action.
    They are waiting for me to get there and take them for check up, etc. We already sent an email explaining my parent’s situation to the MP office. MP office forwarded that email to the IRCC requesting for Urgent Process for Citizenship application but we did not get any answer after 3 months, even a refusal.
Here are my questions:
  • Is there any way we can apply for an urgent processing for PR renewal considering the fact that my husband is working in the U.S. or I should myself, get a separate job offer? To be noted that I am a self-employed entrepreneur and it’s almost impossible for me to get a separate job offer at this point.
  • If so, do you think that the Urgent process request that was made by MP for my parent’s situation would create a conflict/problem with “husband job related urgent request”. I hear that the IRCC could get suspicious on asking urgent process for two different reasons!
  • Should we hire an immigration lawyer?
Any input is greatly appreciated as our life is a real mess these days…
Will you please share how your citizenship and or applications proceeded after being on hold. I’m in the same position and getting a panic attack

k300k3

Mar 6, 2019
No
Citizenship file on hold and PR overprocessed. How did the “on hold” status unfold ?
I've never heard of "overprocessed" case until now. which city did you apply from? Also, i've read that if you can show that there is a medical emergency of family member in overseas, you can make urgent processing request for PR renewal showing the airline ticket which was already paid.

patola

Oct 20, 2017
Dear valued members, please share your valuable comments. I applied for citizenship on Dec 18,2017 and i passed my test and interview on June 20,2018. During citizenship interview, the immigration officer asked to provide the police character certificate within 30 days which were missing in my file and the same was arranged from my home country and provide to cic local office within due time. But since then i have't heard any thing from CIC Canada. I applied GCMS notes through ATIP on Feb 22,2019 which were received within four weeks. I was astonished to see that my file was put on hold on the instruction of another immigration office that is not my local office.Is it normal? Please share your experiences and guide me what should i do?.

k300k3

Mar 6, 2019
Dear valued members, please share your valuable comments. I applied for citizenship on Dec 18,2017 and i passed my test and interview on June 20,2018. During citizenship interview, the immigration officer asked to provide the police character certificate within 30 days which were missing in my file and the same was arranged from my home country and provide to cic local office within due time. But since then i have't heard any thing from CIC Canada. I applied GCMS notes through ATIP on Feb 22,2019 which were received within four weeks. I was astonished to see that my file was put on hold on the instruction of another immigration office that is not my local office.Is it normal? Please share your experiences and guide me what should i do?.
Which city did you apply from ? I’ve read in this forum that some files in Toronto got transferred to Mississauga office due to renovations something . Is it possible that your file was transferred to another office ?