+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My citizenship process is on hold!

afarins

Nov 16, 2018
Hi everybody,
We REALLY need your help as our life is on HOLD.
My husband is a Canadian citizen, he got a job offer from an American company. My question is about my situation. Here are important dates for my citizenship application:
September 18th, 2017: citizenship application received by IRCC
February 27th, 2018: citizenship exam and post exam interview with success.
The IRCC agent in Montreal told us that I will receive my invitation for the ceremony within 6 to 8 weeks after the date of my exam(by the end of April 2018). Based on this information, we decided that my husband accepts the job offer. So he quit his job, rented our house in Montreal. Four months had past and we had no news from IRCC regarding the date of my ceremony. After that, we realized that I had to apply for my PR renewal since it had been already expired and I simply forgot to keep track of it (expiration dat eMarch 2018). I immediately applied for renewal on June 2th, 2018 (2 months after expiration date). Meanwhile, we talked to our MP and did numerous phone calls to IRCC. After several follow-up, we have been told that after four months since my exam date, the IRCC agent simply did not update my digital application and after couple of months my application process was not even started! IRCC did not assume their fault and they kept telling that the processing time for citizenship application is usually 12 months and we cannot do anything before September 18th, 2018 (12 months after my application process started). MP office and IRCC agents confirmed us several times that passing September 18th 2018, I will be eligible to request for Urgent processing!
My husband had to postpone his starting date in the U.S. 3 times (4.5 months) but at the end he had to leave Canada without me since my application seemed like an open ended process which nobody took responsibility to respond for its delay. We rented out our house in Montreal and I started couch surfing renting Airbnb. I had to shut down my business that I worked for 5 years since I had to rent our my workshop as well. We waited until September 18th 2018 (end of 12 months processing time) to request for Urgent process for citizenship. We did so, but unfortunately again nobody was responsive or helpful for that matter .
Meanwhile, on September 28th, we received an email from IRCC asking us the proof of residency for my PR card renewal!!! We provided 350 pages of documents. We did another follow-up with MP and they told us that IRCC put citizenship application on HOLD because of PR application and it is a non-routine process that could take between 1 to 2 years. Once, PR card is renewed, the citizenship application can continue. Now few important points to highlight:
  • I cannot travel to the U.S. since I have an Iranian passport (almost impossible to get a visa). In addition, my husband's employer’s immigration lawyer keep insisting that I'd better apply with a Canadian passport for U.S status (L2) otherwise, it would be extremely complicated situation;
  • We had to rent another home in Canada and pay for two homes at the same time (on win US and one in Canada). Now, He goes back and forth between Us and Canada every three weeks; We are losing so much money right now!
  • PR renewal application causes a blockage on my citizenship application and it could take between 1 to 2 year of processing time;
  • I met ALL residency requirements for PR and citizenship (more than 1500 day out of 5 years).
  • I also have my parents living in the U.S (green card holders). They are old with a serious language barrier. My mother is sick But we don’t have any doctor notice proofing that they are sick, requesting an emergency action.
    They are waiting for me to get there and take them for check up, etc. We already sent an email explaining my parent’s situation to the MP office. MP office forwarded that email to the IRCC requesting for Urgent Process for Citizenship application but we did not get any answer after 3 months, even a refusal.
Here are my questions:
  • Is there any way we can apply for an urgent processing for PR renewal considering the fact that my husband is working in the U.S. or I should myself, get a separate job offer? To be noted that I am a self-employed entrepreneur and it’s almost impossible for me to get a separate job offer at this point.
  • If so, do you think that the Urgent process request that was made by MP for my parent’s situation would create a conflict/problem with “husband job related urgent request”. I hear that the IRCC could get suspicious on asking urgent process for two different reasons!
  • Should we hire an immigration lawyer?
Any input is greatly appreciated as our life is a real mess these days…

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
If they said after it had passed 12 months you could request urgent processing... either you heard it wrong or they didn’t know what they were talking about - after 12 months they only thing they can do is sending a note to the local office on your behalf, and there’s no guarantee the local office would do anything

Paulson

Star Member
May 3, 2017
Hi everybody,
We REALLY need your help as our life is on HOLD.
My husband is a Canadian citizen, he got a job offer from an American company. My question is about my situation. Here are important dates for my citizenship application:
February 27th, 2018: citizenship exam and post exam interview with success.
The IRCC agent in Montreal told us that I will receive my invitation for the ceremony within 6 to 8 weeks after the date of my exam(by the end of April 2018). Based on this information, we decided that my husband accepts the job offer. So he quit his job, rented our house in Montreal. Four months had past and we had no news from IRCC regarding the date of my ceremony. After that, we realized that I had to apply for my PR renewal since it had been already expired and I simply forgot to keep track of it (expiration dat eMarch 2018). I immediately applied for renewal on June 2th, 2018 (2 months after expiration date). Meanwhile, we talked to our MP and did numerous phone calls to IRCC. After several follow-up, we have been told that after four months since my exam date, the IRCC agent simply did not update my digital application and after couple of months my application process was not even started! IRCC did not assume their fault and they kept telling that the processing time for citizenship application is usually 12 months and we cannot do anything before September 18th, 2018 (12 months after my application process started). MP office and IRCC agents confirmed us several times that passing September 18th 2018, I will be eligible to request for Urgent processing!
My husband had to postpone his starting date in the U.S. 3 times (4.5 months) but at the end he had to leave Canada without me since my application seemed like an open ended process which nobody took responsibility to respond for its delay. We rented out our house in Montreal and I started couch surfing renting Airbnb. I had to shut down my business that I worked for 5 years since I had to rent our my workshop as well. We waited until September 18th 2018 (end of 12 months processing time) to request for Urgent process for citizenship. We did so, but unfortunately again nobody was responsive or helpful for that matter .
Meanwhile, on September 28th, we received an email from IRCC asking us the proof of residency for my PR card renewal!!! We provided 350 pages of documents. We did another follow-up with MP and they told us that IRCC put citizenship application on HOLD because of PR application and it is a non-routine process that could take between 1 to 2 years. Once, PR card is renewed, the citizenship application can continue. Now few important points to highlight:
  • I cannot travel to the U.S. since I have an Iranian passport (almost impossible to get a visa). In addition, my husband's employer’s immigration lawyer keep insisting that I'd better apply with a Canadian passport for U.S status (L2) otherwise, it would be extremely complicated situation;
  • We had to rent another home in Canada and pay for two homes at the same time (on win US and one in Canada). Now, He goes back and forth between Us and Canada every three weeks; We are losing so much money right now!
  • PR renewal application causes a blockage on my citizenship application and it could take between 1 to 2 year of processing time;
  • I met ALL residency requirements for PR and citizenship (more than 1500 day out of 5 years).
  • I also have my parents living in the U.S (green card holders). They are old with a serious language barrier. My mother is sick But we don’t have any doctor notice proofing that they are sick, requesting an emergency action.
    They are waiting for me to get there and take them for check up, etc. We already sent an email explaining my parent’s situation to the MP office. MP office forwarded that email to the IRCC requesting for Urgent Process for Citizenship application but we did not get any answer after 3 months, even a refusal.
Here are my questions:
  • Is there any way we can apply for an urgent processing for PR renewal considering the fact that my husband is working in the U.S. or I should myself, get a separate job offer? To be noted that I am a self-employed entrepreneur and it’s almost impossible for me to get a separate job offer at this point.
  • If so, do you think that the Urgent process request that was made by MP for my parent’s situation would create a conflict/problem with “husband job related urgent request”. I hear that the IRCC could get suspicious on asking urgent process for two different reasons!
Any input is greatly appreciated as our life is a real mess these days…
Unfortunate to know all this....here is my thought..
Consider requesting IRCC for urgent processing of you PR app. for the reasons that:
1. Your Citizenship app. has been put on hold since your PR app went into process - may quote Call Cen agent telling you about on-hold thing.
2. An early renewal of PR would lead to resumption of Citizenship app etc etc.
3. Recommend not to express eagerness to visit US at this stage.
4. Get GCMS notes on you Citizenship app in parallel to figure out really is in there..

Reactions: afarins

afarins

Nov 16, 2018
Thank you for your comment. Yes! That’s exactly what happened.

If they said after it had passed 12 months you could request urgent processing... either you heard it wrong or they didn’t know what they were talking about - after 12 months they only thing they can do is sending a note to the local office on your behalf, and there’s no guarantee the local office would do anything

afarins

Nov 16, 2018
Great points! Will do that.

Thank you.

QUOTE="Paulson, post: 7382052, member: 668325"]Unfortunate to know all this....here is my thought..
Consider requesting IRCC for urgent processing of you PR app. for the reasons that:
1. Your Citizenship app. has been put on hold since your PR app went into process - may quote Call Cen agent telling you about on-hold thing.
2. An early renewal of PR would lead to resumption of Citizenship app etc etc.
3. Recommend not to express eagerness to visit US at this stage.
4. Get GCMS notes on you Citizenship app in parallel to figure out really is in there..[/QUOTE]

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
"My citizenship process is on hold!"

. . . IRCC put citizenship application on HOLD because of PR application and it is a non-routine process that could take between 1 to 2 years . . .
YES. It appears to be time to obtain the assistance of a reputable, experienced, immigration LAWYER.

It is past time to make an ATIP application for a copy of your file. At this juncture it is probably time to do this soon and request a copy of the PHYSICAL file. There are other topics here specifically about making the ATIP application, and others here are more familiar than I am with routine ATIP requests, since I generally discourage making these requests; but your situation appears to be one in which it is time to do this. When this is warranted, it is usually best to not use the IRCC form but rather to make a customized request; but making a customized request is complicated, demanding a lot of homework and background understanding of the process, and you probably want a copy of the physical file sooner rather than later. So probably better to not wait, make the ATIP request soon and in the meantime go looking for a good lawyer.

That said, if you really know of NO reason why there should be any questions let alone suspicions about your qualifications for citizenship or a new PR card, it is quite possible your applications will be resolved relatively soon without a problem. In the vast, vast majority of cases, even non-routine cases, qualified applicants who properly completed the application and truthfully provided information requested, there is NO SERIOUS problem and the oath ceremony is scheduled within 10 to 14 months after the application was made, or a little longer for some non-routine processing.

The PROBLEM, however, is that it is readily apparent you have been getting some erroneous information about the process and there is enough indication of something being awry, if you can afford a lawyer it is time for Lawyering-Up.

Whether the erroneous information is due to miscommunications, misunderstandings, incompetence, or something seriously off-the-rails in the process, is difficult to know. MPs are notoriously UNRELIABLE sources of information about the process.
The Help Centre IRCC agents or representatives often get it WRONG if the question and answer is outside the scope of more or less typical Frequently-Asked-Questions. BUT some of what is clearly erroneous information here SHOULD be well within the scope of what the Help Centre (call centre) representatives GET RIGHT.

As others have observed, for example, there is no one-year trigger making an applicant eligible for urgent processing. It is always possible that an individual Help Centre representative gets even a simple question like this wrong, but it would be very unusual for multiple Help Centre representatives to get this wrong and advise an applicant is "eligible" for urgent processing based on the passage of a year's time since making the application.

Thus, it warrants noting, the odds are higher you (or whoever has done the talking with the Help Centre representatives) misunderstood what they said. Of course I do NOT KNOW this. You are in a position to know the real facts. However, just in terms of what is feasible, what seems likely, it appears there has been some MISCOMMUNICATION, some misunderstanding. Which is common. All too common. In most cases this does not result in significant problems because, after all, in most cases the applicant's role is to WAIT and WATCH, and while the process often takes longer than is convenient for applicants, within a few months the oath is scheduled and the process is over.

And as I already noted, if you really know of NO reason why there should be any questions let alone suspicions about your qualifications for citizenship or a new PR card, it is quite possible your applications will be resolved relatively soon without a problem. It is quite possible that all you need to do is WAIT and WATCH and this will proceed to a favourable outcome within weeks or a few months.

There are, however, enough WARNING signs in what you report to suggest prudence dictates more proactive measures.

There are enough warning signs to warrant getting the GCMS notes, at the least, and preferably the full physical file, AND Lawyer-UP.

Urgent processing is NOT likely available. At least not now. And, even in a case without problematic issues, your situation does NOT present cause for urgent processing under current policies.

I met ALL residency requirements for PR and citizenship (more than 1500 day out of 5 years).

Meanwhile, on September 28th, we received an email from IRCC asking us the proof of residency for my PR card renewal!!! We provided 350 pages of documents. We did another follow-up with MP and they told us that IRCC put citizenship application on HOLD because of PR application and it is a non-routine process that could take between 1 to 2 years. Once, PR card is renewed, the citizenship application can continue.
. . .
Some Further Observations:

Given the extent to which it appears you have been given erroneous information or otherwise have not understood the information provided, it is difficult to discern what the real problem is.

That said, it is fairly easy to identify what is NOT the problem.

. . . IRCC put citizenship application on HOLD because of PR application . . .

Once, PR card is renewed, the citizenship application can continue.

PR renewal application causes a blockage on my citizenship application and it could take between 1 to 2 year of processing time;
Your citizenship application is NOT on hold simply because there is a PR card application in process. Many, many PRs apply for citizenship and then encounter a timeline which compels them to apply for a new PRC while they are waiting to become a citizen. Scores of PRs do this. NO PROBLEM.

There is no reason why IRCC cannot or will not process a PR card application while also processing a citizenship application.

Thus, the fact a citizenship applicant has a PR card application in process is NOT a reason for putting the citizenship application on hold. Period.

That said, if in the course of processing a PR card application IRCC identifies an issue which raises questions about the validity of the individual's PR status, THAT ISSUE can be a reason why the citizenship application is put on hold. And that could be a serious matter.

For example, if a PR with a citizenship application in process has been reported for inadmissibility, the citizenship application may be suspended, put on hold, pending a determination as to whether the PR is inadmissible or not. This can arise from concerns about Residency Obligation compliance, from concerns about misrepresentation (at any time in the individual's immigration history), or from concerns about criminality or security issues. For PRs who obtained status in Canada as a refugee or protected person, this can arise if there is an investigation into possible cessation of refugee or protected person status. And there are other reasons why processing a citizenship application might be suspended, put on hold, like potential Prohibitions.

I have no idea what the REASON is in your situation. I can say that it is very unlikely the hold is merely because there is a PR card application in process.

The request for proof of residency suggests the issue is about Residency Obligation compliance, about potential inadmissibility based on falling short in meeting the RO. This could be the reason. BUT.

BUT your accounting of the facts, 1500 days present in Canada in the previous five years, is profoundly incongruous with this being an issue. Even if you are referring to 1500 days present during the SIX years prior to September 18, 2017 (obviously, your qualification for citizenship is based on having been present at least 1460 days during the SIX years prior to September 18, 2017), that alone would meet the PR RO as of September 2018, even if you were mostly absent from Canada between the date you applied for citizenship and the date you applied for a new PR card, while noting that it appears otherwise, that you have mostly been in Canada in the meantime.

"So what's up with that?" One is inclined to ask.

I do not know. I doubt anyone here can guess. There appears to be something up, some significant if not critical problem lurking in the process.

It is tempting to guess there might not be any serious issue. Depending on the actual source and conduits of information, it is possible you have been told processing is "on hold" pending the PRC application more as an excuse for how slow it has been. And I'd give this fair odds EXCEPT for the timeline since the test/interview and the timeline since making the PRC application and especially the request for residency-related information. The warning-signs.

Enough warning signs to emphasize the prudence of obtaining qualified professional help sooner rather than later. To emphasize the prudence of Lawyering-Up.

afarins

Nov 16, 2018
Thank you so much for taking the time and giving us a thorough input.

We will definitely take that into consideration.

"My citizenship process is on hold!"

YES. It appears to be time to obtain the assistance of a reputable, experienced, immigration LAWYER.

It is past time to make an ATIP application for a copy of your file. At this juncture it is probably time to do this soon and request a copy of the PHYSICAL file. There are other topics here specifically about making the ATIP application, and others here are more familiar than I am with routine ATIP requests, since I generally discourage making these requests; but your situation appears to be one in which it is time to do this. When this is warranted, it is usually best to not use the IRCC form but rather to make a customized request; but making a customized request is complicated, demanding a lot of homework and background understanding of the process, and you probably want a copy of the physical file sooner rather than later. So probably better to not wait, make the ATIP request soon and in the meantime go looking for a good lawyer.

That said, if you really know of NO reason why there should be any questions let alone suspicions about your qualifications for citizenship or a new PR card, it is quite possible your applications will be resolved relatively soon without a problem. In the vast, vast majority of cases, even non-routine cases, qualified applicants who properly completed the application and truthfully provided information requested, there is NO SERIOUS problem and the oath ceremony is scheduled within 10 to 14 months after the application was made, or a little longer for some non-routine processing.

The PROBLEM, however, is that it is readily apparent you have been getting some erroneous information about the process and there is enough indication of something being awry, if you can afford a lawyer it is time for Lawyering-Up.

Whether the erroneous information is due to miscommunications, misunderstandings, incompetence, or something seriously off-the-rails in the process, is difficult to know. MPs are notoriously UNRELIABLE sources of information about the process.
The Help Centre IRCC agents or representatives often get it WRONG if the question and answer is outside the scope of more or less typical Frequently-Asked-Questions. BUT some of what is clearly erroneous information here SHOULD be well within the scope of what the Help Centre (call centre) representatives GET RIGHT.

As others have observed, for example, there is no one-year trigger making an applicant eligible for urgent processing. It is always possible that an individual Help Centre representative gets even a simple question like this wrong, but it would be very unusual for multiple Help Centre representatives to get this wrong and advise an applicant is "eligible" for urgent processing based on the passage of a year's time since making the application.

Thus, it warrants noting, the odds are higher you (or whoever has done the talking with the Help Centre representatives) misunderstood what they said. Of course I do NOT KNOW this. You are in a position to know the real facts. However, just in terms of what is feasible, what seems likely, it appears there has been some MISCOMMUNICATION, some misunderstanding. Which is common. All too common. In most cases this does not result in significant problems because, after all, in most cases the applicant's role is to WAIT and WATCH, and while the process often takes longer than is convenient for applicants, within a few months the oath is scheduled and the process is over.

And as I already noted, if you really know of NO reason why there should be any questions let alone suspicions about your qualifications for citizenship or a new PR card, it is quite possible your applications will be resolved relatively soon without a problem. It is quite possible that all you need to do is WAIT and WATCH and this will proceed to a favourable outcome within weeks or a few months.

There are, however, enough WARNING signs in what you report to suggest prudence dictates more proactive measures.

There are enough warning signs to warrant getting the GCMS notes, at the least, and preferably the full physical file, AND Lawyer-UP.

Urgent processing is NOT likely available. At least not now. And, even in a case without problematic issues, your situation does NOT present cause for urgent processing under current policies.

Some Further Observations:

Given the extent to which it appears you have been given erroneous information or otherwise have not understood the information provided, it is difficult to discern what the real problem is.

That said, it is fairly easy to identify what is NOT the problem.

Your citizenship application is NOT on hold simply because there is a PR card application in process. Many, many PRs apply for citizenship and then encounter a timeline which compels them to apply for a new PRC while they are waiting to become a citizen. Scores of PRs do this. NO PROBLEM.

There is no reason why IRCC cannot or will not process a PR card application while also processing a citizenship application.

Thus, the fact a citizenship applicant has a PR card application in process is NOT a reason for putting the citizenship application on hold. Period.

That said, if in the course of processing a PR card application IRCC identifies an issue which raises questions about the validity of the individual's PR status, THAT ISSUE can be a reason why the citizenship application is put on hold. And that could be a serious matter.

For example, if a PR with a citizenship application in process has been reported for inadmissibility, the citizenship application may be suspended, put on hold, pending a determination as to whether the PR is inadmissible or not. This can arise from concerns about Residency Obligation compliance, from concerns about misrepresentation (at any time in the individual's immigration history), or from concerns about criminality or security issues. For PRs who obtained status in Canada as a refugee or protected person, this can arise if there is an investigation into possible cessation of refugee or protected person status. And there are other reasons why processing a citizenship application might be suspended, put on hold, like potential Prohibitions.

I have no idea what the REASON is in your situation. I can say that it is very unlikely the hold is merely because there is a PR card application in process.

The request for proof of residency suggests the issue is about Residency Obligation compliance, about potential inadmissibility based on falling short in meeting the RO. This could be the reason. BUT.

BUT your accounting of the facts, 1500 days present in Canada in the previous five years, is profoundly incongruous with this being an issue. Even if you are referring to 1500 days present during the SIX years prior to September 18, 2017 (obviously, your qualification for citizenship is based on having been present at least 1460 days during the SIX years prior to September 18, 2017), that alone would meet the PR RO as of September 2018, even if you were mostly absent from Canada between the date you applied for citizenship and the date you applied for a new PR card, while noting that it appears otherwise, that you have mostly been in Canada in the meantime.

"So what's up with that?" One is inclined to ask.

I do not know. I doubt anyone here can guess. There appears to be something up, some significant if not critical problem lurking in the process.

It is tempting to guess there might not be any serious issue. Depending on the actual source and conduits of information, it is possible you have been told processing is "on hold" pending the PRC application more as an excuse for how slow it has been. And I'd give this fair odds EXCEPT for the timeline since the test/interview and the timeline since making the PRC application and especially the request for residency-related information. The warning-signs.

Enough warning signs to emphasize the prudence of obtaining qualified professional help sooner rather than later. To emphasize the prudence of Lawyering-Up.

anustays

Star Member
Jan 29, 2014
Hi there, i m about to apply for my citizenship n want to do the faster processing for a tn visa. Could u help me with the understanding of this fast processing of citizenship application? I m in toronto right now and have heard about long wait times before u actually cud b a citizen. Can i apply fromsome other less crowded province or city to get it faster?
Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Hi there, i m about to apply for my citizenship n want to do the faster processing for a tn visa. Could u help me with the understanding of this fast processing of citizenship application? I m in toronto right now and have heard about long wait times before u actually cud b a citizen. Can i apply fromsome other less crowded province or city to get it faster?
Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance.
Just forget it, they won’t give you fast processing so you can get TN to work in the US

wolfpack27616

Apr 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What time is it generally taking if i apply today? Is it really 12 months?
I noticed that you've asked this question in a couple of threads. I can understand that the long processing time could be daunting. But there's no way to game the system. Send out your application as soon as you are eligible without any misrepresentation, and then you got to wait and hope that your application is processed without any delays. That's the same for all of us. Good luck!

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I noticed that you've asked this question in a couple of threads. I can understand that the long processing time could be daunting. But there's no way to game the system. Send out your application as soon as you are eligible without any misrepresentation, and then you got to wait and hope that your application is processed without any delays. That's the same for all of us. Good luck!
The gist of this post I agree with. And most of its details in particular. Like make no "misrepresentation." Absolutely, for sure.

And overall the post is particularly well-taken as a response to the query it addresses.

But one detail demands clarification: "Send out your application as soon as you are eligible . . . "

For those concerned about the processing time line, those who prefer to minimize the risk of non-routine processing and an even longer processing time line, it is an important detail: BETTER APPROACH IS TO WAIT TO APPLY WITH A SOLID MARGIN, A "BUFFER;" BEST TO WAIT TO APPLY WITH MORE THAN THE MINIMUM PRESENCE REQUIREMENT.

ADDITIONALLY, more than a few prospective applicants would be prudent to take into consideration other factors in making the decision about WHEN is the better time to apply. Other factors include to what extent meeting the presence requirement is dependent on counting days with implied status or otherwise not readily documented status (visitor status without a visa or Visitor's Record for example), or relying on presence during more transient periods of time . . . among many other factors which can influence how easy it will be for IRCC to verify the applicant's presence during such periods of time. For example, self-employed PRs may prudently elect to wait to have a bigger margin over the minimum.

Waiting to apply a little or a lot longer is mostly about minimizing the risk of non-routine processing. There is little point in rushing to apply "as soon as you are eligible" if that results in non-routine processing that will result in a longer or potentially much longer processing time-line.

BUT waiting to apply a little or a lot longer can also be insurance against being denied for falling short of the presence requirement. We all make mistakes. A mistake that costs more days than the applicant's buffer will mean the application MUST BE DENIED. For those who make the big mistake of being absolutely confident they will make no mistake in the presence calculation, that does not insulate them from the possibility a total stranger bureaucrat at IRCC could make a mistake and believe certain days should not count.

(Note: Even ATM machines sometimes make mistakes; a bit of a shock when it happens, and it is rare, but it does happen.)

THUS, in particular, it is a MISTAKE to apply without SOME BUFFER over meeting the minimum presence requirement. 1095 days meets the requirement, BUT that is ONLY IF total stranger bureaucrats at IRCC readily agree without question. And no buffer or a very little buffer inherently elevates the need to more thoroughly verify the applicant's presence. That is, the smaller the buffer the bigger the risk of NON-ROUTINE processing . . . with a risk that IRCC's calculation leaves the applicant short and the application denied.

HOW MUCH BUFFER? There is NO one rule fits all. This is a very personal decision.

How much buffer? This varies widely. Immigrants reach this phase of immigration with widely, widely varying backgrounds and situations. How much of a buffer to have is a very individual, personal decision. The factors to consider are many. Individual priorities vary greatly and can influence what is the best time to apply for that particular individual. For many, perhaps even most, a month buffer is plenty and it is rather easy to wait long enough to have a month buffer. But for some waiting does not directly add additional days, so waiting longer to apply actually does NOT improve their situation. Some have contingencies in life which make waiting problematic or even virtually impossible.

I am one of those people who tend to rarely do what they preach. (Yeah, I've made more than my share of mistakes in life; some lessons learned, for sure.) BUT about this, I did practice what I preach. The circumstances in which I became a PR, and more to the point the circumstances attendant moving my sole proprietor business to Canada, in conjunction with salient issues-for-the-day (this was back in the days of Harper's Conservative government and some rather draconian handling of immigration related matters), strongly weighed in favour of me waiting a lot, lot longer to apply. And indeed, I waited nearly TWO years past the date I became eligible to actually make my application. That is what made the most sense for me in the circumstances at the time. Few will need to wait anywhere near so long. The point is that how long to wait is very personal . . . many can reasonably, prudently apply fairly soon after they become eligible . . . some should wait a fair while longer . . . and some like me might want to wait a rather long while before applying.

Reactions: rajkamalmohanram

wolfpack27616

Apr 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The gist of this post I agree with. And most of its details in particular. Like make no "misrepresentation." Absolutely, for sure.

And overall the post is particularly well-taken as a response to the query it addresses.

But one detail demands clarification: "Send out your application as soon as you are eligible . . . "

For those concerned about the processing time line, those who prefer to minimize the risk of non-routine processing and an even longer processing time line, it is an important detail: BETTER APPROACH IS TO WAIT TO APPLY WITH A SOLID MARGIN, A "BUFFER;" BEST TO WAIT TO APPLY WITH MORE THAN THE MINIMUM PRESENCE REQUIREMENT.
That's a great point, and I completely agree. I mentioned in my response "as soon as you are eligible, since he/she was looking for the quickest processing method. But I completely agree that having a buffer period is definitely a better approach. In my case, I thought 3 weeks buffer was sufficient- but I guess everybody's comfort level is different. Thanks for adding this observation to my post.